Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla unable to transfer FSD due to firmware compatibility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Progress, I think. A local Operations Advisor emailed in response to my voicemails and said "We have submitted the FSD transfer request." Kind of leaves things open but at least they're trying.

And for a bit of comic relief / Tesla irony, I just received a marketing email from Tesla cheerily informing me "You can now transfer your FSD Capability!"
Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

1690584185585.png

Reactions: superblast
Progress, I think. A local Operations Advisor emailed in response to my voicemails and said "We have submitted the FSD transfer request." Kind of leaves things open but at least they're trying.

And for a bit of comic relief / Tesla irony, I just received a marketing email from Tesla cheerily informing me "You can now transfer your FSD Capability!"
Not sure if I should laugh or cry.
Looks like they have cjhanged the Terms, so you may want to cry. 🤪

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 6.45.55 PM.png

I had a visit to local SC and chatted up the sales person.
They are on their Tesla sales software which is super basic and they reach a page where the GUI says the Tesla needs a couple options to be eligible. The page apparently calls it ‘firmware’ but is actually referring to option codes. It needs to have the ‘FSD’ (APF2) and not have HW2.5 (APH3) listed.
My experience was the sales system showed my 2018 as having APH3 so they told me my firmware made it ineligible. But the sales person was willing to go back to the service center and run my info there. They showed the correct HW3 info along with FSD in the service systems. Saleswoman came back and said upgrade was good to go. So I’m guessing sales people see the state of the car at sale and someone put a dumb requirement in the system (banning Hw2.5).
If you’re hitting a wall I’d suggest contacting a sales center that is part of a service center and try to get them to check service side back end.
Typical Tesla mess. I don’t look forward to second half of sept as deadline approaches.

Well Halelujah, just got this email. Looks like the local Tesla Operations Advisor was able to get things updated properly. Yay!!
Updated Order Details​
This email contains your current configuration and Order Agreement​
Tesla
Your Order

Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Red Multi-Coat Paint

19’’ Gemini Wheels

All Black Premium Interior

Five Seat Interior

Autopilot

Tow Hitch

Full Self-Driving Capability

I am in the same boat: I was told by a sales associate at the Tesla store in Brooklyn yesterday that my 2018 M3 Mid Range is ineligible to transfer its FSD a new Model Y -- something to do with the VIN and firmware (whatever that is). I purchased Autopilot separately and FSD separately, not when I bought the car, and Tesla installed HW3 computer. The associate is "looking into it." Good to hear that other people are getting it straightened out!

I am in the same boat: I was told by a sales associate at the Tesla store in Brooklyn yesterday that my 2018 M3 Mid Range is ineligible to transfer its FSD a new Model Y -- something to do with the VIN and firmware (whatever that is). I purchased Autopilot separately and FSD separately, not when I bought the car, and Tesla installed HW3 computer. The associate is "looking into it." Good to hear that other people are getting it straightened out!
It might help to share the info socal_suburbanit shared a couple of posts prior to yours with your sales associate. It sounds like the info they need is in the service system.

Reactions: TresLA
I was told a few days ago after submitting the FSD transfer form for my 2018 that it was denied because it was a 2018 with no details. I bought the car with EAP and added the FSD in early 2019 then upgraded to HW3 the following year. But today I got word that it is now approved thanks to these posts here and on Reddit. After seeing the posts on firmware issues and a post about asking to set up a manual case to resolve it I went back to the local rep and let them know I wanted the transfer team to have them investigate this rejection issue. My assumption is they using some program to check compatibility and it's rejecting because of bad info in their server. When they set up a case to look at it manually then it gets approved. You must have FSD on the original order before the review team will even look at your transfer. So if you get this rejection then have the local rep fight back for you by asking it to be reviewed and a support case set up to check. You will get it if you are persistent. FYI local reps can only message the transfer team. They have no contact to make verbal requests.

Reactions: superblast
They are on their Tesla sales software which is super basic and they reach a page where the GUI says the Tesla needs a couple options to be eligible. The page apparently calls it ‘firmware’ but is actually referring to option codes. It needs to have the ‘FSD’ (APF2) and not have HW2.5 (APH3) listed.
My experience was the sales system showed my 2018 as having APH3 so they told me my firmware made it ineligible. But the sales person was willing to go back to the service center and run my info there. They showed the correct HW3 info along with FSD in the service systems. Saleswoman came back and said upgrade was good to go. So I’m guessing sales people see the state of the car at sale and someone put a dumb requirement in the system (banning Hw2.5).
If you’re hitting a wall I’d suggest contacting a sales center that is part of a service center and try to get them to check service side back end.
Typical Tesla mess. I don’t look forward to second half of sept as deadline approaches.
This is great - thanks so much. I've copied your explanation to an email draft so I can send it to the sales associate.

Sunday morning before Delivery Day update - FSD has been removed from my Model 3, which of course means the transfer is in progress.

Persistence and help from these TMC forums was essential to get this done.

It makes me wonder how many sales Tesla may lose because people who just want the car get told "sorry, no FSD transfer for you" and cancel their order. Hopefully enough of this has happened that this situation can be recognized up front and the runaround avoided.

To put a wrap on this story -
1) The FSD transfer was successful. Never got any acknowledgement from corporate that they were wrong in saying it couldn't be transferred or even an email or text telling me the transfer happened. The only way I knew was by seeing the status of FSD change on my trade-in Model 3 and the new Model Y.
2) The night before Delivery Day I got an email from the trade-in team asking for a copy of my wife's driver's license since she was on the title. I sent it immediately.
3) Delivery Day - no change in any of the statuses in the Tesla app. Still "we will notify you when it's time for the next step." Since I had to get a bank check, I left a voicemail for the local delivery team asking for the payoff amount. I received an email from corporate two hours before delivery time with the payoff amount.
4) Arrived at the service center at the appointed time. Tesla employees strolled by, no one made eye contact or asked how they could help. Stood at the "New Car Delivery" line where one agent was serving a customer and the other was typing on his laptop. Twenty minutes of standing there before we were acknowledged with a "sorry for the wait."
5) Got to the counter and found the trade-in team had not finalized the trade-in yet even though we sent the last document the night before. Agent had to contact them and we had to wait another 30 minutes for them to finalize the trade-in.
6) From that point things went relatively smoothly. The agent said they had delivered 31 cars already that day, a Monday in the first month of the quarter. I think the delivery team is not quite burned out but a little toasty.

Our new Model Y is great, the quality and fun of the car makes up for the mediocre ordering and delivery experience. Tesla needs to hire someone from Disney to train the service center teams - or at least get them to smile and say "hello, how may we help you?" You walk in all excited about your new car and then you end up feeling like you wandered into the DMV office. This is our third Tesla and we love the cars. In 2016 the delivery experience made you feel really special, with a big bow on the hood and the feeling that Tesla really valued you as a customer. This experience made us feel like just another car out the door for Tesla.

Thanks for this! I initially talked to a Tesla sales guy who said my 2018 Model 3 was ineligible for the FSD transfer due to its firmware. Update: I went back with a printout of your post, my receipts for purchasing Autopilot and FSD, and talked to a more knowledgeable sales guy. He said they would "open a case" to take care of the FSD transfer. Evidently it's been resolved: I placed an order for the LR Model Y on Aug. 1, completed the delivery tasks in the app yesterday, and I just got a delivery window of Aug. 11-25. Now I just have to get over parting with first love, my Model 3 ....

Did that! As I posted elsewhere on this thread, talking to a more knowledgeable sales rep at the Tesla store was the key. He "opened a case" and everything now looks good to go. Waiting for a VIN for the new Model Y, then I can fill out the FSD transfer form from the 2018 Model 3.