Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious why some Swedish Tesla employees are members of IF Metall(or any union really).

What is the benefit? Do they pay union dues?

Same applies to German Tesla employees at Giga Berlin that have joined IG Metall.
Unions carry some benefits. I can only speak for Finland, but I'd wager sweden is not that different.

for example: you get fired without a legal reason. It happens. If you're a union member, their lawyers will sew your former employer, and if the court degeees that termination was illegal, you'll be compensated for it.

If you're not in a union, you're on your own, so you'll need to hire a lawyer to take it to court.. can get really expensive and results are uncertain.

So there's one good reason to belong to a union. And I'm neutral about unions, just providing that example.. I do not like if metalls way of trying to coerce an agreement where its not wanted. Different thing.

I am curious why some Swedish Tesla employees are members of IF Metall(or any union really).

Same applies to German Tesla employees at Giga Berlin that have joined IG Metall.
The majority of the strikers are up in Umeå, a very Socialdemocratic city. The only one doing interviews is clearly a politician and likely decided to join as a plant. I think they planned this a long time ago. Imo Tesla should have screen him away early in the interview process, just look at his facebook profile:
The government news channel interviewed one of the few people on strike.

His facebook profile looks like this:
View attachment 987659
1: #stop the profit chase
2: feminist/social democrats(the pro union party)

The majority of the strikers are up in Umeå, a very Socialdemocratic city. The only one doing interviews is clearly a politician and likely decided to join as a plant. I think they planned this a long time ago. Imo Tesla should have screen him away early in the interview process, just look at his facebook profile:

1703192633075.png

And he has been an active member of the pro union party.

Unions carry some benefits. I can only speak for Finland, but I'd wager sweden is not that different.

for example: you get fired without a legal reason. It happens. If you're a union member, their lawyers will sew your former employer, and if the court degeees that termination was illegal, you'll be compensated for it.

If you're not in a union, you're on your own, so you'll need to hire a lawyer to take it to court.. can get really expensive and results are uncertain.

So there's one good reason to belong to a union. And I'm neutral about unions, just providing that example.. I do not like if metalls way of trying to coerce an agreement where its not wanted. Different thing.

If this is the case then why did some union members decide to work instead of striking which got them expelled from the union?

View attachment 1001877

And he has been an active member of the pro union party.

Agree. Someone let him slip by in the hiring process.

Reports that at least one company is pushing back on the sympathy actions because the notices didn't meet requirements. Even on the second version...

How do you get the X links to show the actual post? It used to do that when I posted a link from X(formerly Twitter) now when I copy a X link and post it here it shows up as link address.

Reports that at least one company is pushing back on the sympathy actions because the notices didn't meet requirements. Even on the second version...

Note that this is the "arbetsgivare"=employer union fighting the employee union. It's obviously not a good thing for a company if workers decide not to do certain tasks..

Unions fighting each other can get interesting.. :) both sides have endless amount of lawyers and money.

• Informative
Reactions: bpjod
Appeals court just upheld the ruling - No soup (license plates) for Tesla!

"It is gratifying that the court of appeal reached the only reasonable conclusion, that the constitutionally protected right to strike takes precedence over Tesla's interests," labour union Seko's president Gabriella Lavecchia told Reuters by email.

Strangely, while on the surface it appears this was ‘over Tesla’s interests’ in actuality it was over the interests of Swedish citizens who want to buy a Tesla and it’s their right to do so.

Let’s review what’s really happening now because of the PostNord sympathy strike (remember SYMPATHY strike, not that PostNord employees actually have a dog in the Tesla collective agreement fight but rather told they had to strike): instead of Tesla ordering and getting plates on behalf of their customers, customers must now order the plates themselves.

Three cheers for Sweden where we make things more difficult for innocent citizens all in the name of doing what’s in their best interest; Hip, hip. hooray!