Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like IF Metall's plans for the next sympathy action is to make tire and towing companies stop servicing Tesla vehicles.

This is silly on so many levels.. there was just news from Sweden, over 1000 cars stuck in traffic because of an accident, even one ambulance with patient inside was stuck for 7 hours.

It has been really cold for the past week, under -30C even. Teslas obviously have no weather issues but towing companies are working overtime on diesel cars stalling while driving. Gasoline cars usually just refuse to start but diesels seem to stall after few kilometres of driving..

This is silly on so many levels.. there was just news from Sweden, over 1000 cars stuck in traffic because of an accident, even one ambulance with patient inside was stuck for 7 hours.

It has been really cold for the past week, under -30C even. Teslas obviously have no weather issues but towing companies are working overtime on diesel cars stalling while driving. Gasoline cars usually just refuse to start but diesels seem to stall after few kilometres of driving..

So, you are saying there would be other customers for the Cybertruck based Tow Trucks that @Krugerrand suggested? Win/win. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: rlsd and bpjod

Having lived in and driven ICEVs in -30C and lower, no idea why these vehicles are stalling. I’ve never had an issue. You do have to make sure you have winter conducive fluids in vehicle. Low quality gas/diesel/water in it will create a problem but nothing a little gas line antifreeze type product won’t fix.

Tesla’s as you say don’t have an issue either as long as the battery isn’t super low as the car will reduce power if charge is low with a really low ambient temperature.

Reactions: Just a Reader
Having lived in and driven ICEVs in -30C and lower, no idea why these vehicles are stalling. I’ve never had an issue. You do have to make sure you have winter conducive fluids in vehicle. Low quality gas/diesel/water in it will create a problem but nothing a little gas line antifreeze type product won’t fix.

Tesla’s as you say don’t have an issue either as long as the battery isn’t super low as the car will reduce power if charge is low with a really low ambient temperature.

The problem is that typically the diesel sold at pump stations is rated for 32C so you're on the borderline and if you are mixing with some remains of summer variant it's not going to bode well.

What's even worse, as I found out recently, is that companies that are forced into blockade (Werksta, Hydro extrusion, etc.) get NO compensation at all until the strike is over!Which means many companies will go out of business, as we assume this strike won't be over for the next 3-6 months unless the Union drops this!Then the question immediately arises whether it also applies to Tesla's staff who are on strike??

For two months, my car has been in a tent at a workshop that has a collective agreement. Signing it may have been the workshop's worst decision, it means that LO can completely control its fate, now it has been decided that they may not comply with the Consumer Services Act, with the consequences it brings.

What's even worse, as I found out recently, is that companies that are forced into blockade (Werksta, Hydro extrusion, etc.) get NO compensation at all until the strike is over!Which means many companies will go out of business, as we assume this strike won't be over for the next 3-6 months unless the Union drops this!Then the question immediately arises whether it also applies to Tesla's staff who are on strike??

For two months, my car has been in a tent at a workshop that has a collective agreement. Signing it may have been the workshop's worst decision, it means that LO can completely control its fate, now it has been decided that they may not comply with the Consumer Services Act, with the consequences it brings.

Wonder how many of these companies will renew their contract with the unions ... that might be why the unions are fighting hard, are the contracts up for renewal soon?

Wonder how many of these companies will renew their contract with the unions ... that might be why the unions are fighting hard, are the contracts up for renewal soon?

The renewal terms are in the contract, so they can be different for every company. But I think it's common they are renewed yearly.

I'm not sure it matters, though. Employees can be union members even if the company doesn't have CBA. So they can strike or take part in sympathy actions.

Striking is protected by law, but I don't think these sympathy actions are. It might be that CBA dictates that sympathy actions are not a reason to fire people. In that case it does make a difference if company has it ..

More fuel for the fire burning so brightly under IF Metall's battle for irrelevancy...

Quotes from the article:

“So you know, I’m terrified of IF Metall. They try to make it difficult for you, provoke, as it were, so that you feel that it is difficult to be at work. They have called and sent messages and they have really tried to explain what the strike means and why I should join, before I was then excluded. And it sounded threatening actually. They have said that I will never be able to work in a union shop in the future and no unions will represent me in the future. That’s how I understood it. That they will gang up against me,” the Tesla Sweden mechanic said.​
“When I joined, I was new to the industry, and it was obvious that you should join. Then, when I got older, I realized that the membership was just an expensive subscription to a magazine,” the former IF Metall member said.​

“So you know, I’m terrified of IF Metall. They try to make it difficult for you, provoke, as it were, so that you feel that it is difficult to be at work. They have called and sent messages and they have really tried to explain what the strike means and why I should join, before I was then excluded. And it sounded threatening actually. They have said that I will never be able to work in a union shop in the future and no unions will represent me in the future. That’s how I understood it. That they will gang up against me,” the Tesla Sweden mechanic said.​

So, extortion of employees in addition to extortion of employers. Nice. While in principle I’m sympathetic to the concept of unions, in practice, sometimes they do make it so hard to support them…

So, extortion of employees in addition to extortion of employers. Nice. While in principle I’m sympathetic to the concept of unions, in practice, sometimes they do make it so hard to support them…

Let's put that another way.

It is easier to be in support of unions with principles than it is to feel supportive for those without principles.

Reactions: navguy12 and bpjod

Excluded strikebreaker: "I'm terrified of IF Metall"​

January 11, 2024 - 06:29
Written by Mikael Färnbo and Janna Ayres

In a unique measure, IF Metall just before Christmas excluded a number of members who continued to work at Tesla, despite the strike. Now one of the excluded mechanics tells why he chose to become a strikebreaker.
Just before Christmas, IF Metall excluded a number of members who chose not to participate in the strike against Tesla. It was a unique measure, and "something you don't do for joy", as IF Metall's union secretary Martin Gunnarsson commented on the matter.
Dagens Arbete had the opportunity to speak with one of the expelled members, who wishes to remain anonymous.
What do you think about being expelled from IF Metall for not participating in the strike?
- So, I want to stay out, as far away from this as possible. I enjoy my job. No one asked me how I felt, what I wanted, the union just runs its own race.
IF Metall wants a collective agreement at Tesla in Sweden. What does collective agreement mean to you?
- It does not matter to me.
What do you think about the conditions you have now, the wages, how the employer treats you?
- I think it's good, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed, if we say so.
And the union's action then, that they exclude you, what do you think about that?
- Im happy for that. Now I avoid the monthly fee.
But you joined the union once upon a time. How has your view of the union changed from the time you joined until you are now expelled?
- When I joined, I was new to the industry, and it was obvious that you should join. Then when I got older I realized that the membership was just an expensive subscription to a magazine.
If you ask the union why you should join, it is to get help if you have problems with your employer, you have access to social security, help if you become unemployed and more?
- The A fund is state-owned, you can be a part of it in any case. And help with the employers, I don't know how they will help me? I can speak for myself. I have never had a problem with my employers.
What do you think about your colleagues who have gone on strike?
- Everyone has their own choice, it is free. I respect their choice, if we do say so. I have nothing to do with it.
You're not friends?
- No no.
Do you still talk to each other?
- I don't want to comment on that.

There have been many different sympathy measures from other trade unions. Stops for garbage collection, cleaning, electrical work, everything possible has been blocked. How does it work to continue working?
- I have not felt any change. It works as usual.
How do you think this conflict will end?
- No idea actually.
Do you think Tesla will sign a collective agreement?
- No I do not think so.
The union believes that you should stand up and go on strike to show solidarity with all other employees. How do you see it?
- You can turn that argument around, it goes both ways.
You mean that you are in solidarity in the other direction, i.e. with the company, with your colleagues who work?
- Yes exactly.
This argument about the Swedish model, that here in Sweden we have collective agreements and if companies come here from abroad, they must respect our traditions. How do you think about it?
- I have no opinions about it actually.
But do you think that Tesla should act differently when they come to Sweden, which has a strong tradition of trade unionism. Or do you think it is right to act in the same way as in, for example, the United States?
- It is not only Tesla that does not have a collective agreement in Sweden. So why do you have a conflict with Tesla in particular? Klarna* and Spotify also do not have a collective agreement.
How have you experienced the contacts with IF Metall?
- So you know, I'm terrified of IF Metall. They try to make it difficult for you, provoke, as it were, so that you feel that it is difficult to be at work.
How?
- They have called and sent messages and they have really tried to explain what the strike means and why I should join, before I was then excluded. And it sounded threatening actually, they have said that I will never be able to work in a union shop in the future and no unions will represent me in the future. That's how I understood it. That they will gang up against me.
So you feel that the trade union movement is trying to conspire against you?
- Yes, if we play with the idea that I would get tired of screwing up cars and change to another job, and join another union. Will I then not be able to join because I am excluded from IF Metall now? I do not know.
How does it feel to you?
- Quite honestly, no idea. Now it is as it is. I still don't think I will need the union in the future.
What do you think will happen if you have to look for another job?
- For me, there are no problems. I can basically get a job in any workshop.
But do you think the union will try to stop you then, if that workshop has a collective agreement?
- I think they will make it a bit difficult for me, but I don't know much about which laws and regulations apply, how much they are allowed to do and so on.
How has this time affected you?
- So I try to ignore them as much as I can. But it feels like they tried to bribe one right from the start when they increased the strike compensation to 130 percent of the salary.
Have you been feeling stressed?
- On and off actually.
And what has made you most stressed?
- The harassment mostly. This with the text messages, the calls and them standing outside.
What is the main reason why you did not join the strike?
- The main reason is that I care about the environment and enjoy my job. And I care a lot about our customers too. I want customers to feel safe choosing Tesla.

Martin Gunnarsson, IF Metall's union secretary, says that the pressure has been hard on everyone who works at Tesla.
IF Metall's union secretary Martin Gunnarsson says that it is unfortunate if someone feels watched over and feels afraid of the union. They have tried to get hold of all members to inform them about how the strike works, why it is important and what applies.
- If this person has experienced fear, it is of course unfortunate, a person experiences what he experiences. But we have tried to get hold of them in order to reason. It has been necessary to find out how certain things work, he says.
Have you taken any account of whether the members who did not strike said that they really want to, but are too afraid?
- I am convinced that there was a lot of pressure on everyone. Those who have gone on strike and those who are inside and working, members or not. But it is not possible to make that type of judgement, we have handled it on the basis that you have been disloyal to the statutes.
This person also said he was told by representatives that he will never be able to work at a union shop and that no unions will represent the person in the future. Is it something IF Metall is behind?
- No no. You don't keep that kind of record. It is personal information if someone has been a part of a trade union and you must not disclose it to anyone else. On the other hand, it would be a trial if the person were to request entry again to IF Metall. Then you have to take a position on it then, says Martin Gunnarsson.
* Klarna signed a collective agreement at the turn of the year.

Gigafactory Berlin has to stop production for two weeks as the attacks by the Houthi rebels in the Red Sea have disrupted the delivery chain. I don't believe that their actions can count as "sympathy strikes" for Metall, but obviously the "we can always get all the stuff from China" attitude has its own risks.
In this case the risk is only temporary as shipping must take a longer route. Short of much larger scale warfare, a one time delay is the most that could be inflicted.

I find it more surprising that without houthi actions they might have had no delays, considering how far the supply chain had to go to adapt, and a vote of confidence towards their supply chain resiliency and adaptability.

Reactions: GSP and Krugerrand
Gigafactory Berlin has to stop production for two weeks as the attacks by the Houthi rebels in the Red Sea have disrupted the delivery chain. I don't believe that their actions can count as "sympathy strikes" for Metall, but obviously the "we can always get all the stuff from China" attitude has its own risks.

As soon as the Ukraine issue is solved, we can have a dependable land rail. /s

Reactions: navguy12
Unions often make the point that "this is how it has been in Sweden for a hundred years". But the country and its economy has changed quite a lot.

After WW2 Sweden was very strong because they managed to stay neutral during the war. Pretty much every other European country ruined their economy by fighting each other. During 1950-1980 Swedish economy was really strong and the unions made the salaries very high, it was a "workers paradise".

I'm from Finland myself. Many Finnish people moved to Sweden in hopes of a better life. It's estimated that over half a million Finns moved, that's quite high when there's currently about 5 million Finns in total! Interestingly this includes even IF Metall's Veli-Pekka Säikkälä, he was born in Finland but his family moved to Sweden when he was a few years old. He still speaks fluent Finnish and has been interviewed in Finnish by Finnish media.

Here's a video showing how "GDP per capita" has evolved during the years. I guess this is not the perfect measure of economy but should give a good hint.

As seen here Sweden was in its own class until early 1980s, then started to slowly decline. Norway has been the "king" for decades now. Finland is a solid rock bottom entire time. :D

What was good for Sweden in the "Golden age" of 1950-1980 might not be best practice anymore..

Yes, but if anything comes from China already adding additional components does not increase risk/impact.

Reactions: GSP