Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unveils New Tesla Brand Solar Inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New inverter getting installed. Guys said 1st one they are doing.
BRUNk6z
Also the PW gateway on the right.

BRUNk6z.png
What part of NJ if you don't mind me asking? I'm slated for install in March and I'm in Red Bank

What part of NJ if you don't mind me asking? I'm slated for install in March and I'm in Red Bank
Hi Bozer. I am also scheduled for a solar glass install at end of March in Ocean County. I inquired about new inverter and they told me that if I wanted new inverter, that it would delay the install since permits had Solar Edge Inverter already.

I am also scheduled for a solar glass install ... since permits had Solar Edge Inverter

It surprises me that your solar glass plan includes a Solar Edge inverter and not a Delta (or the new Tesla inverter) - would be the first case of that I've come across. Just wondering if you talked to someone mistakenly looking at standard PV install instead of a solar glass install.

Hi Bozer. I am also scheduled for a solar glass install at end of March in Ocean County. I inquired about new inverter and they told me that if I wanted new inverter, that it would delay the install since permits had Solar Edge Inverter already.

That's basically what they told me too. My plan had a solar edge, but I'd rather have a product tesla makes vs a 3rd party. It looks awesome too!

I didn't need to re-permit in my town in Gloucester county. Normally the permit just says inverter on it and the town doesn't care what type.

Really tempted to push Tesla to swap my Delta inverters for the solar roof just installed a couple of days ago for these mainly for the built in house consumption monitoring. I inquired about the PowerBlaster but Tesla pretty much told me SOL its discontinued and get a powerwall to get that feature which is disappointing when they advertised that I could see real time power consumption of my house on the app.

Really tempted to push Tesla to swap my Delta inverters for the solar roof just installed a couple of days ago for these mainly for the built in house consumption monitoring. I inquired about the PowerBlaster but Tesla pretty much told me SOL its discontinued and get a powerwall to get that feature which is disappointing when they advertised that I could see real time power consumption of my house on the app.

Consumption monitoring is neat for a while but I don't really check on mine much anymore. It just is what it is after a while. I'd rather have a well-tested inverter solution than a rev1 Tesla product.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Consumption monitoring is neat for a while but I don't really check on mine much anymore. It just is what it is after a while. I'd rather have a well-tested inverter solution than a rev1 Tesla product.
I still find it an important feature, even though I agree I don't monitor it as much any longer. But it helps find things that may be unexpected energy drains (even if it is not as precise as some of the other products that allow more direct monitoring of specific loads,) and is particularly useful in outage situations. I also do use it to double-check against the utility to confirm everything mostly reconciles.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
I still find it an important feature, even though I agree I don't monitor it as much any longer. But it helps find things that may be unexpected energy drains (even if it is not as precise as some of the other products that allow more direct monitoring of specific loads,) and is particularly useful in outage situations. I also do use it to double-check against the utility to confirm everything mostly reconciles.
I have the app constantly running on an old iPad on my desk. When I see an unexpected spike in home energy use I walk around the house trying to figure out where the power is going. This has resulted in some easy decrease like changing floor heating times and temps.

Too bad they didn't make a 10kW model or a combination that would add up to 10kW. In Massachusetts for example, 10kW AC capacity (inverter size) is a very desirable size. It keeps you under the net metering cap exempt threshold. You are maximizing the (almost) 100% net metering credit. If you go over 10kW AC capacity, you need to apply for net metering allocation, and even then you only get about a 60% credit. If you don't get allocation in the net metering cap, you are a generating facility and only sell back at wholesale rates, pennies per kW.

I have an upcoming installation and have 13.2kW of panels and the 10kW inverter. Since my array will be south east facing at 30 degree incline, there will be very few times in the year it clips even with a 1.3 DC/AC ratio.

Currently my system has a SE 10kW inverter specified. As much as I would like future software updates and potential capability that a Tesla inverter would have, it really doesn't make much sense to go over the cap exempt limit of 10kW AC unless you really need to, and go over by quite a bit.

(anyone more familiar with the Massachusetts net metering caps etc please correct me if I'm wrong)

• Informative
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
@CrazyRabbit @pdx_m3s
Valid reasons given here especially Tesla's ASS customer service and communication. I still always prefer to have 1st party though, I'm sure Tesla learned a lot from their other products to build their own solar inverter. Also, if something goes wrong they quickly replace it rather than me calling Tesla, Tesla calling Delta to make a warranty claim etc = more downtime (from what i've read). For what they charged me for the electrical panel upgrade a powerblaster would have been nice or atleast a stopgap since it was discontinued.

Last edited:
@CrazyRabbit @pdx_m3s
Valid reasons given here especially Tesla's ASS customer service and communication. I still always prefer to have 1st party though, I'm sure Tesla learned a lot from their other products to build their own solar inverter. Also, if something goes wrong they quickly replace it rather than me calling Tesla, Tesla calling Delta to make a warranty claim etc = more downtime. For what they charged me for the electrical panel upgrade a powerblaster would have been nice or atleast a stopgap since it was discontinued.

And hopefully the team that designed the "home" Tesla inverter is the same team that has designed the Tesla inverters used with Powerpack and Megapack installs; as they are "battle" proven.

Too bad they didn't make a 10kW model or a combination that would add up to 10kW. In Massachusetts for example, 10kW AC capacity (inverter size) is a very desirable size. It keeps you under the net metering cap exempt threshold. You are maximizing the (almost) 100% net metering credit. If you go over 10kW AC capacity, you need to apply for net metering allocation, and even then you only get about a 60% credit. If you don't get allocation in the net metering cap, you are a generating facility and only sell back at wholesale rates, pennies per kW.

I have an upcoming installation and have 13.2kW of panels and the 10kW inverter. Since my array will be south east facing at 30 degree incline, there will be very few times in the year it clips even with a 1.3 DC/AC ratio.

Currently my system has a SE 10kW inverter specified. As much as I would like future software updates and potential capability that a Tesla inverter would have, it really doesn't make much sense to go over the cap exempt limit of 10kW AC unless you really need to, and go over by quite a bit.

(anyone more familiar with the Massachusetts net metering caps etc please correct me if I'm wrong)

This went as expected. I heard from my advisor yesterday. They wanted to move me to the Tesla inverter instead of solar edge and were in the process of revising the plans to resubmit permits etc. I told them I’d like to have the Tesla inverter but to stop since I didn't think there was an inverter size that was well matched to my pv array planned as well as the state net metering cap exemption. She confirmed that it would be over 10kw ac cap exemption and agreed that it wouldn’t make sense. They had overlooked this point. I’d be shooting myself in the foot financially from what I can tell.

This went as expected. I heard from my advisor yesterday. They wanted to move me to the Tesla inverter instead of solar edge and were in the process of revising the plans to resubmit permits etc. I told them I’d like to have the Tesla inverter but to stop since I didn't think there was an inverter size that was well matched to my pv array planned as well as the state net metering cap exemption. She confirmed that it would be over 10kw ac cap exemption and agreed that it wouldn’t make sense. They had overlooked this point. I’d be shooting myself in the foot financially from what I can tell.

Huh, seems like they could make a 10kW version since it is all software limits anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Huh, seems like they could make a 10kW version since it is all software limits anyway.
I was thinking the same thing, although I didn't get that response. They are going to be keeping the SE inverters in my design. I'm fine going with SE 10k inverter, I can buy the extended warranty, it's a fairly mature product, etc. I'm not sure how much software updates to the inverter will really matter in the future. I think the power walls and gateway really have more functionality that could be updated in the future and those are obviously able to be updated since they are in house Tesla designs.

Reactions: mongo