Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla unwilling to advise maximum battery % on CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your call today. I have confirmed that we do not release the battery state of charge to customers before receiving a deposit, however I can assure you that every used Tesla vehicle has passed a 200+ point inspection including a health check on the battery before being listed for sale.

In addition, all Certified Used Teslas come with the remaining balance of the 8-year, unlimited kilometre warranty on the battery and drivetrain.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thoughts?

@glide it does as capacity loss caused by using the car is explicitly excluded (without specifying what's still normal).

Would not worry too much about it. There are multiple reports on battery longevity, with many cars now exceeding 100,000 miles. On my previous Tesla I lost ~1% in 3 years and 25,000 miles. This is not an issue.

Thanks for your call today. I have confirmed that we do not release the battery state of charge to customers before receiving a deposit, however I can assure you that every used Tesla vehicle has passed a 200+ point inspection including a health check on the battery before being listed for sale.

In addition, all Certified Used Teslas come with the remaining balance of the 8-year, unlimited kilometre warranty on the battery and drivetrain.

Thoughts?
Ask for the list of the 200+ inspection points, so you know what has been inspected. If it's an official inspection, the list should be available. Of course, it could be a made up sales marketing number, then there will be no list.

@svp6 I didn't comment "worried" but "matters". Based on the graph here: Tesla Model S battery degradation data there is quite an amount of values 5% below average. And if @Nuclear Fusion needs to run the car close to max range (for whatever reason), it may play the role if he has bad luck.

@whitex I'd expect sth like "check left front tire for cuts", "check left front tire pressure", "check right front tire for cuts", "check right front tire pressure"...
and you have 200 point checklist built quite quickly. Though, would be nice to see it (my guess is it's company secret).

I'd expect sth like "check left front tire for cuts", "check left front tire pressure", "check right front tire for cuts", "check right front tire pressure"...
and you have 200 point checklist built quite quickly.
Of course there will be mundane stuff like tire pressures (hopefully not split up into "check tire for cuts", "check tire for screws", "check tire for nails", etc), still good to know what is actually being checked and more importantly what is not on the list.

Though, would be nice to see it (my guess is it's company secret).
Why would it be a secret? If it's a secret, what's the point of telling the customer? Tell the customer they check a billion points, same value to customer if the list cannot be inspected or verified. Also, the inspection list should also include pass criteria. "check tire for holes" means nothing if passing means "pass if no more than 3 holes, all smaller than 1/8 inch diameter";).

• Love
Reactions: R.S and PhilDavid
IMO .. if you're spending money on a CPO, make the effort to see it in person beforehand.

So many folks show back up here complaining about this and that because they spent so much on a CPO blah blah blah ... but wouldnt spend a day or two to travel and see it in person. Makes no sense to me.

Or instead of placing the burden on people willing to part with their money, Tesla could, you know, take some decent photos of the used inventory which accurately represent the condition. Kind of like how every other vehicle in the world is sold.

Would not worry too much about it. There are multiple reports on battery longevity, with many cars now exceeding 100,000 miles. On my previous Tesla I lost ~1% in 3 years and 25,000 miles. This is not an issue.
A guy tells you a story about HIS Tesla and that is supposed to be proof that there is no such thing as a battery degradation. There's a ton of posts about p90d's that prove your opinion wrong.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
A guy tells you a story about HIS Tesla and that is supposed to be proof that there is no such thing as a battery degradation. There's a ton of posts about p90d's that prove your opinion wrong.

This. So no, it is not an issue. Also, keep in mind many people confuse an apparent drop in range with true degradation. Balancing the pack restores most of the loss. Agree that you should be able to know the range before purchase if this is important to you. Just saying that I would worry much more about other failure points than the battery.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

So does this mean they will let you know the state of charge after you put down a deposit?