Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Upper Control Arm CRACKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn't there a similar case where someone hit a curb sideways and experienced a similar failure? Perhaps the OP hit one of those bumps with the tire sidewall, resulting in a similar failure through a weak spot in the control arm.

If I remember correctly, the guy who ran over the curb required significant teardown all the way to the steering pinion and recalibration of the AP sensor suite to the tune of $10k+ in estimated damages for a single part failure.

Short of a major high speed collision, no low-speed collision should result in a control arm failure, plain and simple. The fact that I have read this a few times in my short time owning a Tesla suggests the part is under-designed or experiencing a manufacturing defect.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and croman
You need to clean up this part of the story.

A car can't come crashing done onto something that it wasn't positioned over.
How did the car come to get positioned over a safety dot in the first place?

I notice many dots in a row on the road.
Unless you came down on the first dot in the row the rear of the car would have had to pass over one or more dots.

There's a chance that in passing over dots, the car hit one.

I suggest you change your statement a little.

From your tune I would assume you probably work for Tesla, Yes the Picture was the exact location where the car was last stop.

No the car loss it brake after it was slammed to the ground. If you were in the same situation with instinct you will pull to the right and try to stop for safety reason. And that is when th car literally scrape over those Safety Dots. Luckily my wife were only going 35 mph and was able to come to a stop safely.

Reactions: neroden
I'm kinda interested to know the broken link is more of a shear, bend, or compression fracture.

It makes a difference as to how the dot was hit.

The wheel rolling over it might give a different kind of break, compared to a suspension component striking it.. which would lead to a different directional stress on the broken link.

That link should never see much force during straight line driving. There are three links to the knuckle, and the shock connects to the knuckle directly, so this part only handles lateral force. arm_break.png
It looks like the force pulled the center section downward. There is something attached at that point, I'm guessing it is the ride height sensor. If the wheel was forced up hard enough, or the air shock failed, then perhaps the ride sensor bottomed out and was solid enough to fracture the arm? And does the arm look entirely broken, or just on the bottom section (top bent)? Without this link, the wheel could tilt, but the vehicle should stay more or less upright.

If that is where the suspension ride height sensor attaches, then this bend would make the car think that it was riding too high (false increase in distance), and drop the vehicle to the stops.

Btw Just got confirmation that it was not a control arm, it was the upper camber arm that broke, repair cost estimates at $4365.35. No other part were damage other than tha broken camber

As I stated no object were ever hit before the part gave away and the white marking under the car were cause by those Safety Dots.

• Informative
Btw Just got confirmation that it was not a control arm, it was the upper camber arm that broke, repair cost estimates at $4365.35. No other part were damage other than tha broken camber

As I stated no object were ever hit before the part gave away and the white marking under the car were cause by those Safety Dots.

I would make them show you the evidence that an impact caused the damage. Either a bent rim, or other damaged parts.

Your insurance company will need that info from Tesla as well if you decide to file a claim with them.

Reactions: neroden and vdiv
I have never seen any posts about this part failing before. Lower control arm? yes. Ball joint? yes. But not this part. Do you have any links to the other postings about this part?

You're probably right, I think we have not seen this upper camber arm before. Sounds like all of the suspension components are flawed rather than one! ;) I browse a lot of car message boards and don't see these types of failures cropping up, it's usually drivetrain rather than suspension.

Curious as to why this is happening with some frequency. Is it one supplier for all of these parts?

• Informative
1 right front wheel and 1 left rear wheel were bent due to that she ran over them trying to stop, no other damage part reported beside the the brake line.

Ah. Well, get those dash cams installed asap then. I don't know if you would win the battle with the bent rims. Sure they may have happened after the arm broke, but there is no way to prove that now.

Well, your only other option is to get the cracked part and have it evaluated for fatigue damage. You are owed all the removed parts if you are paying, but you will have to press Tesla for them.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Ah. Well, get those dash cams installed asap then. I don't know if you would win the battle with the bent rims. Sure they may have happened after the arm broke, but there is no way to prove that now.

Well, your only other option is to get the cracked part and have it evaluated for fatigue damage. You are owed all the removed parts if you are paying, but you will have to press Tesla for them.

Yes thanks for the suggestion I just call my insurance so they will also help me investigate the issue

Reactions: KidDoc
I'm kinda interested to know the broken link is more of a shear, bend, or compression fracture.

It makes a difference as to how the dot was hit.

The wheel rolling over it might give a different kind of break, compared to a suspension component striking it.. which would lead to a different directional stress on the broken link.

I don't see how you introduce shear into that link. It's either under tension or compression. No matter what, we need more pictures of the damage.