Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't comment to the replenishment of CPOs other than the fact that they were replenished in late March after I was looking for a couple of months. But how's this for conspiracy - when searching for a used S, I would normally search on my personal cell phone and request photos from that phone if I saw one that fit the bill. Inventory continued to go down gradually and then the one I had my eyes on disappeared. Figured I lost the opportunity but it showed back up a couple weeks later or so. Then, the inventory drastically depleated one day with the only S remaining in my price range being the one I had emailed about. I searched on my business phone to see if there was some error and found a large amount of "new" used inventory that I couldn't view on my personal cell. It felt like they were baiting me to purchase that one car before it too was sold. I started emailing for photos of cars I had no interest in but had similar attributes to see if by chance it would affect the declining price of the one I was actually watching. I don't recall that it did but prices definitely were linked to the number of cars they had available with similar attributes at any one time. I can't help but think they have algorithms at their disposal based off of search and/or interaction history. I started using evcpo more after the personal phone thing.

Yep, similar algorithms are being used by various sites where you can buy plane tickets, for example. Start looking at one particular trip and the price will go up, to make you rush the decision and buy overprices tickets.

I can't comment to the replenishment of CPOs other than the fact that they were replenished in late March after I was looking for a couple of months. But how's this for conspiracy - when searching for a used S, I would normally search on my personal cell phone and request photos from that phone if I saw one that fit the bill. Inventory continued to go down gradually and then the one I had my eyes on disappeared. Figured I lost the opportunity but it showed back up a couple weeks later or so. Then, the inventory drastically depleated one day with the only S remaining in my price range being the one I had emailed about. I searched on my business phone to see if there was some error and found a large amount of "new" used inventory that I couldn't view on my personal cell. It felt like they were baiting me to purchase that one car before it too was sold. I started emailing for photos of cars I had no interest in but had similar attributes to see if by chance it would affect the declining price of the one I was actually watching. I don't recall that it did but prices definitely were linked to the number of cars they had available with similar attributes at any one time. I can't help but think they have algorithms at their disposal based off of search and/or interaction history. I started using evcpo more after the personal phone thing.

I will also offer that you don't usually have to request pictures, just replace the VIN in this URL
"https://backwebs.homenetinc.com/tesla/details/@/5YJSA1E21GF"
and you should see pictures.

In theory you should only need to hit the Tesla site to buy the car.

We have been focused mostly on Model S in our discussion. What do you suppose is happening with any Model 3's that people trade into Tesla?

Reactions: Iceh8r
I will also offer that you don't usually have to request pictures, just replace the VIN in this URL

We have been focused mostly on Model S in our discussion. What do you suppose is happening with any Model 3's that people trade into Tesla?
Thanks for the reference.

Never did search for a used 3. It was a matter of new 3 vs. used S for myself. They've said they intend to keep the leased 3s for their robotaxi fleet when that time comes. Can't imagine they'd want used 3s floating around though to compete with the new sales numbers.

I cant seem to get that link to work to view pictures.

Well, I've been monitoring too their used S inventory for some time now and whether there's a conspiracy going on or not, as much as I'd like an S, I'm starting to get used to the idea of just getting a new Model 3. I don't care about other dealers or private parties. With the sheer number of things that go wrong on these cars, getting a used S straight from Tesla for the 4 year warranty, would have been an absolute must.

I have to say I really can't believe their actual used S inventory is that low. Also, they have been selling pre-owned for a while now so incompetency and disorganization surely can't be the reason.

Fun fact, I drive by the Dallas-Fort Worth Manheim lot every day but I'm pretty sure they won't just let me stroll around and search for the Tesla section.

They are disorganized trust me with my resent S purchase they had a hard time locating the car. The process from purchase to actually delivery is all handled I believe from third parties specifically the crappy used car photos and the shipping process. When I bought my Used S a month ago they specifically told me we have to get ahold of the shipper. The process is completely in chaos and is not organized.

Yeah, that sounds like it happens to so many who buy from them. I can imagine it's very tough for the buyer having invested a pretty considerable amount of $ in used car, sight unseen. When I find on, I hope it'll be at least close enough so I can remove the shipping/delivery part from the equation.

Another worry of mine is the horror stories I hear about not getting the title or what they need to register it. Is there a way to find out if Tesla actually has the title ready for the buyer before choosing a car?

Yeah, that sounds like it happens to so many who buy from them. I can imagine it's very tough for the buyer having invested a pretty considerable amount of $ in used car, sight unseen. When I find on, I hope it'll be at least close enough so I can remove the shipping/delivery part from the equation.

Another worry of mine is the horror stories I hear about not getting the title or what they need to register it. Is there a way to find out if Tesla actually has the title ready for the buyer before choosing a car?

If your serious about buying just find one you like and pull the trigger with Tesla I would not buy from anyone else unless you can find a nice used one that is still under the warranty. Maybe you have not driven a used S or new one cause once you done there is no question about the next step.

• Helpful
Reactions: JamesBrown
I've been keeping an eye on this also for the past few months. It's crazy how few cars they show now... for sure they haven't run out of inventory.

Some say it's to push Model 3 sale which would make sense and it's almost working. I really wanted and S but now I'm actively considering just getting a new 3.

I know, this is the most important. I've only driven an S and now I keep finding ways to delay my 3 drive test. I'm not even sure if I hope I like it more or the other way around. I'll probably go this weekend.

I was not a fan of the 3, felt like I was driving a Honda Accord. But that's just me. Make sure to drive it before you pull the trigger.

I know, this is the most important. I've only driven an S and now I keep finding ways to delay my 3 drive test. I'm not even sure if I hope I like it more or the other way around. I'll probably go this weekend.
I have an older S and a 3. The S is a great highway cruiser, and the 3 is a bit more like a go kart. 3 rules in the Twisties. 3 seats are very comfortable.