Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Vehicle Listing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi There

I have been looking at the used vehicle listing on the tesla website.

One thing I notice is that all the cars, the same year, model and trim show the same EPA range regardless of how many KM are on them or how long they have been in service.

Does anyone know if Tesla reconditions the used vehicle battery to a standard mileage range?

Is this statistic on the listing accurate or based on the brand new specs? I wouldn't think it would be the same for each vehicle as the in service date is different for all.

upload_2020-9-7_14-34-10.png
tesla used.PNG

Wouldnt battery capacity be something that is easy to report or share? I would think it is very important data to know what the remaining range is on a battery as well as some sort of charging history?

I would want to know full range of a fully charged vehicle. I don't understand why that isn't reported?

Reactions: DDHEverything
Wouldnt battery capacity be something that is easy to report or share? I would think it is very important data to know what the remaining range is on a battery as well as some sort of charging history?

I would want to know full range of a fully charged vehicle. I don't understand why that isn't reported?
It would be certainly useful to report the battery status.

I have the App 'Scan My Tesla' which report the degradation percentage, battery capacity, amount of Supercharger charges...

So when using the APP 'A Better Route Planner' I can put the 'Battery Degradation' to determine my trip range calculation.

I beleive that TeslaFi provides some tables giving an estimate of the battery degradation.

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

TeslaFi - Battery Degradation Reports (upload your data)

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

The most accurate way to measure battery degradation

Battery Degradation, cause for concern already?

Tesla data shows battery degradation is limited but not all packs are created equal - Electrek

Last edited:

When you buy a used ICE vehicle, does anyone advertise what the CURRENT MPG of that vehicle is, vs new? (rhetorical question, the answer is no).

If you go to toyota's or BMWs website and look at used vehicles they will not be showing "current" vehicle MPG, they would only show you what the MPG was when new. those used vehicles are likely going to have a 100% charge to a different MPG... because they are used cars.

When you buy a used ICE vehicle, does anyone advertise what the CURRENT MPG of that vehicle is, vs new? (rhetorical question, the answer is no).

If you go to toyota's or BMWs website and look at used vehicles they will not be showing "current" vehicle MPG, they would only show you what the MPG was when new. those used vehicles are likely going to have a 100% charge to a different MPG... because they are used cars.

Just because everyone else does something doesn't mean when you get the opportunity to you should hide it or maybe do better than them and be open and honest. Second hand electric cars need to show battery degradation for the buyers to make a proper educated purchase. None of these cars will ever do the rated range unless driven under the speed limit on a warm day. From day one you lose range.

Reactions: NOLADriver
Just because everyone else does something doesn't mean when you get the opportunity to you should hide it or maybe do better than them and be open and honest. Second hand electric cars need to show battery degradation for the buyers to make a proper educated purchase. None of these cars will ever do the rated range unless driven under the speed limit on a warm day. From day one you lose range.

Why should they put themselves into legal jeopardy? The EPA estimate is a government (immune from liability) number with a dozen caveats. Ford has already been sued for giving overestimated numbers to the EPA. Maybe the UK is not as litigious as the US. It is one of our favorite pastimes.

Reactions: jjrandorin
RichRebuilds has an interesting synopsis on how you should never buy used from Tesla cause the do little to check out the condition of their used vehicles including whether they’re salvaged or not. If that’s true, I doubt they check updated EPA on their used vehicles.

RichRebuilds has an interesting synopsis on how you should never buy used from Tesla cause the do little to check out the condition of their used vehicles including whether they’re salvaged or not. If that’s true, I doubt they check updated EPA on their used vehicles.
And now they stopped posting pictures of the used cars. The used model 3s are still expensive, not worth it over new. S or X is a different story.

Reactions: El joe

Range anxiety is overblown, but let’s be real, until charging is as fast as filling, it’s silly to equate not reporting battery degradation of used EVs to not reporting MPG decreases on ICE.

Given range is one the primary differentiators in determining value of EVs, reporting degradation falls under consumer protection. But Tesla, like most manufacturers is about corporate greed more than doing the right thing imo.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jim R and hmmwv
Range anxiety is overblown, but let’s be real, until charging is as fast as filling, it’s silly to equate not reporting battery degradation of used EVs to not reporting MPG decreases on ICE.

Given range is one the primary differentiators in determining value of EVs, reporting degradation falls under consumer protection. But Tesla, like most manufacturers is about corporate greed more than doing the right thing imo.

Battery condition and range, previous owners charging habits, condition of the tires, condition of the brakes, condition of the heating and ac, power window functionality, backup camera functionality....you get the point. When buying a used car, it is up to the buyer to ask for and verify condition of the vehicle. If you don’t ask, they won’t tell you. Has nothing to do with greed. If you ask and they won’t give you a straight answer, well then you don’t have to buy the car. That’s the great thing about a free market.

Battery condition and range, previous owners charging habits, condition of the tires, condition of the brakes, condition of the heating and ac, power window functionality, backup camera functionality....you get the point. When buying a used car, it is up to the buyer to ask for and verify condition of the vehicle. If you don’t ask, they won’t tell you. Has nothing to do with greed. If you ask and they won’t give you a straight answer, well then you don’t have to buy the car. That’s the great thing about a free market.
Lol, try asking Tesla for even just pictures of the actual car.

I agree with the point you unknowingly made- treat Tesla as though they’re a sleazy used car shop.

Yes, in the free market corporate greed is allowed, if not encouraged. Tesla is as bad as they come in that regard, but fanboys fall for the greater good ruse.

I have never owned a Tesla before

is there not a battery screen that shows the range when fully charged and how it used electricity since last charge?

why aren’t those screens being shown?

ice vehicles have an Litre/100km efficiency readout but, we aren’t talking about the same animal here

a gas engine doesn’t become enormously less efficient over a 3-5 year period where an electric can can lose a lot of range, 30% without having a warranty claim.

battery health and degradation is easily measurable, so why not post it?

an ice gas tank doesn’t get smaller over time, but yes, I guess it could use fuel faster than when first purchased?

I would think the golden rule of buying a used vehicle would apply to EV as well.

It is not the number of miles you put on the car, it is how the owner takes care of the car during his/her ownership.

I could do a lot of damage in 15k vs takes care of all the preventive maintenance and wash/care for the car in 60k.

Fair point, but if you get a low KM EV, that is multiple years old, i would think the vehicle might have been left in storage or not driven much and the battery may have drained out for periods of time. is that a problem with an EV?
Not necessarily, the owner could have kept the vehicle at 80% charge the whole time in storage and the battery will be fine, OTOH if the battery is kept at 100% then it'll be a completely different story.

Reactions: Coxwain
I would think the golden rule of buying a used vehicle would apply to EV as well.

It is not the number of miles you put on the car, it is how the owner takes care of the car during his/her ownership.

I could do a lot of damage in 15k vs takes care of all the preventive maintenance and wash/care for the car in 60k.

Bang on! One click on the blade of the screen and you could have useful stats like how much supercharging, power used and battery ageing stats that would reinforce the second hard market and show the true story as for one you can get those stats with an app and plugin. Two informed choice at last! EU need to make this a directive.