Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla V3 Superchargers Are Getting "250 kW" Signage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
The new label clearly shows what the peak power output is. One of the first Tesla V3 Supercharging station in Hawthorne, California recently was retrofitted with red “250 kW” sign according to the Steve Jobs’ Ghost. It’s most likely that Tesla is now experimenting with labeling the power output, probably to help drivers at least...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/07/15/tesla-v3-superchargers-250-kw-sign/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The new label clearly shows what the peak power output is. One of the first Tesla V3 Supercharging station in Hawthorne, California recently was retrofitted with red “250 kW” sign according to the Steve Jobs’ Ghost. It’s most likely that Tesla is now experimenting with labeling the power output, probably to help drivers at least...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/07/15/tesla-v3-superchargers-250-kw-sign/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Way cool. I've heard different stories though on whether all the new supercharging stations that are now permitted but not finished are going to be version 3. Anybody know the scoop?

Anyone know what a standard range plus 50kW can charge at on a v2 or a v3 charger?
All the youtube videos of charging model 3s seem to be of the long range 75kW pack. It would make sense that the 50kW can only charge at 2/3rds the speed of the 75 pack. But haven't seen any confirmation.

Yeah, they are going to have to add an "up to" on that '250kW" sign or else lawsuits will be coming ...
People sue for all sorts of dumb stuff, so I won't address that specific point. But Tesla doesn't need to add any caveats to be protected and not need to worry about it. The "250 kW" is describing the hardware capability rating not a promise of actual power delivery.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
You know what's really funny? The v3 Supercharger at their headquarters in Fremont has signs that say 250 kW, except for one stall on the other side of the parking lot that still says 150 kW. I'm not sure if they kept one legacy 150 kW stall for compatibility testing or if they just forgot to replace one of the signs. :D

That said, it's also interesting to note that at least one of the pedestals themselves has old markings on them from when they were in pairs, which at least suggests that they basically gutted and upgraded the station in place from v2 to v3.

You know what's really funny? The v3 Supercharger at their headquarters in Fremont has signs that say 250 kW, except for one stall on the other side of the parking lot that still says 150 kW. I'm not sure if they kept one legacy 150 kW stall for compatibility testing or if they just forgot to replace one of the signs. :D

That said, it's also interesting to note that at least one of the pedestals themselves has old markings on them from when they were in pairs, which at least suggests that they basically gutted and upgraded the station in place from v2 to v3.

P. S. My Model X 100D charged at 160 kW at 26% SoC. Not sure if it would have gone higher at a lower SoC. Either way, that's a lot more power than I've ever seen at a v2 supercharger, even when alone on a pair.

Reactions: jboy210 and dfwatt