Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla van - Model V ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know that the initial offerings are the S3XY and then a pickup. However, I want a van.

I've got a 2005 Odyssey that is so easy to maneuver, see out of, and such practical use of space. I also have a Ford Flex Ecoboost with about 450+hp. If I'd start spraying the methanol I have hooked up, it's about 550hp. The Flex drives like a heavy sports car compared to the lumbering performance of the top heavy and puny minivan. Now I'm about to have a 3P in the garage as well. I really want to marry the best of these vehicles into one, and that would be a Tesla Model V(an).

For now, VW has already stated their ID Buzz is going to be produced in 2022. They have taken forever to build on the VW Bus fame, but it's going to happen. Elon, you going to let VW beat you to the punch on this? I'd like to stay in the Tesla family, but for now, VW is poised to get my money. Anybody else?

Reactions: DanCar
I'd be interested in a van. I've mentioned size being a show-stopper for the Model 3, but that's comparing it to our Kia. Our other vehicle is a 140" Sprinter van, which we use for travel and camping. Oddly enough, the Model X has almost the same footprint as the van. The Sprinter is a 2004, so replacing it in 3-4 years is a definite possibility.

What do you mean by van? Are we talking Vauxhaul Combo sized or Ford Transit sized?

I wouldn't really count the VW Bus as a van. It's more a people carrier turned camper. I know that technically it was a freight vehicle at one point, but it's more a cool car sized thing rather than a giant pallet-swallowing box. The more modern VW Transporter, a competitor to the Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter and their ilk are more what I'd call a van.

Electric vehicles are so flat inside, that perhaps they could easily be turned into a large capacity easy-loading van. What would a Tesla Model X or Y based van look like? Should it hark to the look of its derivative car like the Vauxhaul Combo did to the Corsa, or should it be very much a utility look and just based on the skateboard? Is there something unique they could do with it?

I was going to suggest that a van should be on the same platform as the pickup, but it's becoming clear that the US pickup is a very different animal to what the rest of the world calls a pickup (or ute). The US pickup would be pretty useless over here in Euroland where we have normal sized roads to deal with and don't have to tow an artic trailer with it, so perhaps a car-based item is a better choice.

You being from the UK, you are not familiar with anything sold in the USA what we call a "minivan". You are used to miniature things like the Mazda5 or full commercial sized like the body-on-frame Transits. Even the VW Vanagon is terrible compared to what we have. The most efficient use of space vehicles would be the US Honda Odyssey (different from the UK/JDM model), Toyota Sienna, and Chrysler Pacifica. They comfortably seat 7-8 and have more room behind the 3rd row that any of the big 3 row crossovers selling like hotcakes. They just tend to handle like crap and all be FWD which is difficult when the wheels are pulling 4500lbs of metal. The VW ID Buzz is supposed to be most similar to this size of people mover.

• Informative
Reactions: Lasairfion
Ah I see what you mean. It's what we would call a people-carrier. The purview of those with numerous children and decidedly unflattering as a vehicle. The Vauxhall Zafira, Ford Galaxy and the Renault Espace were the leading trio for many years.

No-one ever really wanted to drive the bland, wallowing, mundanity of these bloated car-buses. Some of the newer ones are even based on actual small vans (The new Vauxhall Combo Life for instance).

If Tesla managed to make one that looked nice, and was fun to drive, it might explode the entire market.

The first company that offers an 8-passenger EV minivan and its “shut up and take my money”. Not uncommon to see a line of a dozen Honda Odyssey’s at school pickup and drop off.

We love our six seater X but we had to keep our Odyssey for the times we need to hold 8 passengers or haul furniture.

Last edited:
A truck is (and should be) certainly next, but I'd love a van. Presuming it actually makes it to production, I will consider the VW bus as either my next car after the 3 or my wife's next car.

I know that a pick up will be next, but I am still skeptical of Tesla will be able to make a pick up that truly competes well against traditional American pick ups. Hopefully, it is not trying to compete against eight Honda ridgeline

We know that the initial offerings are the S3XY and then a pickup. However, I want a van.

I've got a 2005 Odyssey that is so easy to maneuver, see out of, and such practical use of space. I also have a Ford Flex Ecoboost with about 450+hp. If I'd start spraying the methanol I have hooked up, it's about 550hp. The Flex drives like a heavy sports car compared to the lumbering performance of the top heavy and puny minivan. Now I'm about to have a 3P in the garage as well. I really want to marry the best of these vehicles into one, and that would be a Tesla Model V(an).

For now, VW has already stated their ID Buzz is going to be produced in 2022. They have taken forever to build on the VW Bus fame, but it's going to happen. Elon, you going to let VW beat you to the punch on this? I'd like to stay in the Tesla family, but for now, VW is poised to get my money. Anybody else?
I think they need to do a pickup next. There are so many commercial/work applications.
I would guess they will do a van at some point, but it sounds like the x is their answer to a minivan. They've already talked about doing mini-bus type things a year or two ago so maybe that would have consumer applications too. Or maybe once the truck is in production they will do a utility/camper van based on that platform. +1 on the van btw, currently have a sedan and the rear seats don't even fold down, every time I see one of those sprinter vans or a minivan I think it sounds like such a good idea, especially if it was electric.

I think most Americans don't seem to realise how small European roads are, the Tesla truck I've seen can't park anywhere in the city, even the model S can't park normally in every street in Amsterdam already, you end op over the line on both sides of the vehicle already.

I think you mean we don’t much care how small your roads are. Some models like the truck might not be planned for an international market. I don’t think non-Americans u derstand what a top seller full sized trucks are. A full size American truck would be hilariously big in Europe.

I think you mean we don’t much care how small your roads are. Some models like the truck might not be planned for an international market. I don’t think non-Americans u derstand what a top seller full sized trucks are. A full size American truck would be hilariously big in Europe.

Well, the length of a parking spot in the Netherlands should be about 4,5 meter (177.165354 inch), in America people drive with a Ford F150, the Ford F150 is either 209.3 inch (5,31 meter) or 227.9 inch (5,78 meter).

Just... Go to google earth (not maps, but earth), scroll to the Netherlands and look at the parking spot of a big supermarket. The average American car is about 30% bigger then the biggest European car you'll find at the parking spot.

Well, the length of a parking spot in the Netherlands should be about 4,5 meter (177.165354 inch), in America people drive with a Ford F150, the Ford F150 is either 209.3 inch (5,31 meter) or 227.9 inch (5,78 meter).

Just... Go to google earth (not maps, but earth), scroll to the Netherlands and look at the parking spot of a big supermarket. The average American car is about 30% bigger then the biggest European car you'll find at the parking spot.
I went to amsterdam, saw 'centrale market' selected a street view in the middle of it.
Google Earth
there's a midsize pickup! :p

after looking around, there are cargo vans as long as pickup trucks everywhere

Last edited:
I went to amsterdam, saw 'centrale market' selected a street view in the middle of it.
Google Earth

Google Earth

Oké, but that's clearly industrial area with loads of trucks around and such, but in a real local street, or supermarket you won't find such things.

This Tesla:
Google Maps
Has parked two of his whole wheels on the road instead of the parking spot and look at the vans around, none of them parked inside a parking spot! And it's not even like he parked like an ***hole, he just parked normal. Google Maps

Google Maps
(and then you'll realise straight away why they cycle such a lot in Amsterdam, because too many cars is simply impossible)

Google Maps
As you can see, half the cars are already over the line, imagine if it was a Ford F150?!
This is one of the reasons why I expect the model 3 to become far more popular then the model S or X, it's a car you can actually park!

I would guess they will do a van at some point, but it sounds like the x is their answer to a minivan. They've already talked about doing mini-bus type things a year or two ago so maybe that would have consumer applications too. Or maybe once the truck is in production they will do a utility/camper van based on that platform. +1 on the van btw, currently have a sedan and the rear seats don't even fold down, every time I see one of those sprinter vans or a minivan I think it sounds like such a good idea, especially if it was electric.

+1. We bought a Dodge Grand Caravan when my second daughter was born, and even though we're only a family of four I don't think we could plausibly give up the flexibility of a 7 passenger minivan with storage for longer trips. Between our double stroller and luggage, I'm not even sure we'd make it to the airport in anything smaller. I seriously considered trading in the Grand Caravan for a Pacific PHEV but figured I'd rather hold out for a full BEV minivan. If a Tesla option were available, they'd have my money in a heartbeat. If it ends up being something like a Chrysler Portal (still in concept), that's fine too.

From what I can tell of the Tesla X, it's not a minivan replacement. I know many families get by just fine with an SUV, and if we'd started off with an SUV instead of a minivan I probably wouldn't even notice the difference. But they've ruined me. I imagine there are scores of soccer moms who would happily buy a BEV minivan.