Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector (Level 2 charger) "out of stock" [thread from 2020]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a Gen2 Elon-signed Tesla Wall Charger on eBay and installed it myself this weekend. Not only is Gen2 less expensive but it will handle up to 80 amps. I think they look better, too! Great alternative to the interminable wait for a new Gen3 charger. The WiFi connection in the Gen3 charger seems unnecessary, since you can connect to the car and see your charging data.
View attachment 576964
Should not have to buy on eBay, Tesla needs to fix this issue especially when you are paying luxury car money. They have created this market on eBay to sell at double the price. Contemplating not buying Model Y for that reason. If it’s that hard to buy a wall charger, what other customer service issues will surface.

Should not have to buy on eBay, Tesla needs to fix this issue especially when you are paying luxury car money. They have created this market on eBay to sell at double the price. Contemplating not buying Model Y for that reason. If it’s that hard to buy a wall charger, what other customer service issues will surface.
Wait, you think Tesla is selling Wall Connectors on eBay and charging double? Or that it's Teslas fault that profiteers exist? The car comes with the Universal Mobile Connector. The Wall connector is nice, but not at all necessary.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Since when does a "tesla recommended electrician "arrive with a wall connector"? That would be a local thing to you. I used a "tesla recommended electrician" and they never said "we will arrive with a wall connector".

Also, did you just order 30 seconds before made this post? You "take delivery next week" so likely ordered "some time before today"... why didnt you look into ordering the wall connector back then? I get that it can be frustrating when something is out of stock, especially in age of Amazon prime shipping where things arrive in 1-2 days.... but why is YOUR procrastination in placing an order now worthy of a " This is really low class" rant?

Item out of stock = "Low class"? Man, I dont get that connection....

Yeah, ****in entitled people. OMG, how DARE them be out of stock of the wall charger when I to buy it. Even though I waited to the last minute to order the wall charger, I need that *sugar* NOW. Who cares about the fact that I should have ordered the wall charger the moment I ordered the car and get everything DONE before the car is even shipping.

Reactions: Rocky_H
You can often score Gen1 and Gen2 Wall Chargers on eBay for less than $500. Have a look!
Hmm, that really surprises me with as desperate as people are for them and the short supply with Tesla being out of stock most of the time, and quite a large market of scalping on Ebay for much more than retail price. I wonder why any of them are selling for less than that?

I got a Gen2 Elon-signed Tesla Wall Charger on eBay and installed it myself this weekend. Not only is Gen2 less expensive but it will handle up to 80 amps. I think they look better, too! Great alternative to the interminable wait for a new Gen3 charger. The WiFi connection in the Gen3 charger seems unnecessary, since you can connect to the car and see your charging data.
View attachment 576964
Wait, you think Tesla is selling Wall Connectors on eBay and charging double? Or that it's Teslas fault that profiteers exist? The car comes with the Universal Mobile Connector. The Wall connector is nice, but not at all necessary.

Those selling on eBay simply won or bought Wall Chargers they no longer need. The Mobile Connector is great but not if you want to charge faster than 32 amps, which is their upper limit. If you want to charge at 44 or 48 amps, the Wall Charger is your only option short of a Supercharger. The Wall Charger is also a lot easier to use than deploying your Mobile Connector every day. Just park your car and plug in!

Wait, Where did I say Tesla is selling wall chargers on eBay?? By not having enough in production is creating a market on eBay for profiteers. Just To be clear, I don’t have a problem with profiteers either. I would rather have a Tesla charger vs having to use a universal adapter.