Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Whistleblower releases VINs with alleged punctured battery cells - Who's got a 3 on the list?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0002.jpg

To call Tripp a "whistleblower" is a bit much. I won't go over the whole sordid history, but now even Tripp's own lawyer has told CNBC that he doubts the authenticity of the information Tripp posted:

Stuart Meissner, an attorney for Tripp, told CNBC on Wednesday night that he doubts the authenticity of the tweets on Tripp's account, though he added that he had been unable to reach Tripp himself.​

Tesla also explained that Tripp's claims are BS:

"As we've said before, these claims are false and Mr. Tripp does not even have personal knowledge about the safety claims that he is making. No punctured cells have ever been used in any Model 3 vehicles in any way, and all VINs that have been identified have safe batteries. Notably, there have been zero battery safety issues in any Model 3."
Tesla whistleblower tweets details about allegedly flawed cars, scrapped parts

It is really unfortunate that people are helping this clown spread misinformation and confuse Tesla owners and customers.

Yeah, his lawyer is trying to say that Tripp's account was hacked and he wasn't the one posting the pictures/information... (At least that is my read on it.)

But isn’t Meissener’s claim that Tripp’s account has been compromised and that’s why he doesn’t believe the data?

Edit: Sorry, should have continued reading first.

Delay. Doubt. Uncertainty. Fear.

Don’t you feel it?

I really worry about the effectiveness of these campaigns. For people that just scratch the surface of the news, it’s too bad.

Time will tell. Really. I just find the speculation in the media so off target.....

Reactions: EinSV
A couple people on the VIN list over here worrying:

Ex-Tesla Engineer (& said whistle-blower) Mark Tripp posts damaged VINs and Source on his Twitter Page : teslamotors

Mission accomplished, I guess :Þ He literally could have pulled random VINs out of a hat. Heck, why even stop at that many? Why not one in 5? Or one in 3? He set his bar too low.

yes, but there is a logical point where we would know he was completely full of it. My car was produced July 17th, after he was out the door. If my VIN had been listed, I would know he was lying, because he wasn't even there. He had to at least use VINs issued while he was an employee.

Reactions: neroden
A couple people on the VIN list over here worrying:

Ex-Tesla Engineer (& said whistle-blower) Mark Tripp posts damaged VINs and Source on his Twitter Page : teslamotors

Mission accomplished, I guess :Þ He literally could have pulled random VINs out of a hat. Heck, why even stop at that many? Why not one in 5? Or one in 3? He set his bar too low.

So the owner of one of them, of which Tesla has already told him his car is fine, has agreed to do a Business Insider interview?! Guess he wants his 15 mins of fame. People suck.

Unfortunately I won the lottery on this one ... I'm ON the list :( No battery issues so far. Even if my pack was reworked I'm confident Tesla would have performed the same quality control on it. I'm going to call Tesla tomorrow ... will keep you posted.

Look forward to the update but I really expext nothing other than the official line.

You’ve got 8 years to develop a major probllem.

Vehicle Warranty | Model 3

If I had a listed VIN and assuming I had the slightest doubt I’d drive the car as much as I can to make sure I hit the mileage limit before the time.

It’s really easier for Tesla NOT to screw up cars on purpose.

Make it nice or make it twice.

Look forward to the update but I really expext nothing other than the official line.

You’ve got 8 years to develop a major probllem.

Vehicle Warranty | Model 3

If I had a listed VIN and assuming I had the slightest doubt I’d drive the car as much as I can to make sure I hit the mileage limit before the time.

It’s really easier for Tesla NOT to screw up cars on purpose.

Make it nice or make it twice.

It seems you are being level headed about it, but I still wouldn't give it the slightest bit of credibility. It's like posting a picture of a black car, and then posting a picture of a table in a tesla building with a black sharpie sitting on it, and stating that tesla uses sharpies for all of their black touch up work. None of those lists or pictures even come close to proving (or even showing) anything he is ranting about. It's the media tactic of the month...err... decade. People believe anything you say about a picture on the internet and it doesn't matter if you disprove it later. Look at how often you see flat earth comments come up (and not as a joke) every time SpaceX makes a launch.

Unfortunately I won the lottery on this one ... I'm ON the list :( No battery issues so far. Even if my pack was reworked I'm confident Tesla would have performed the same quality control on it. I'm going to call Tesla tomorrow ... will keep you posted.

I would ask them to run a diagnostic on the pack and allow you to sit in on it. If that isn't enough to set your mind at ease, I would ask them to access the pack and show you the connections and the cells, to show you it hasn't been "reworked" as Tripp claimed.

Reactions: outdoors
yes, but there is a logical point where we would know he was completely full of it. My car was produced July 17th, after he was out the door. If my VIN had been listed, I would know he was lying, because he wasn't even there. He had to at least use VINs issued while he was an employee.

Well Tesla did accuse him of installing logging software. It's possible he's still getting notifications of things even though he's no longer there! :eek:

• Informative
I would ask them to run a diagnostic on the pack and allow you to sit in on it. If that isn't enough to set your mind at ease, I would ask them to access the pack and show you the connections and the cells, to show you it hasn't been "reworked" as Tripp claimed.

"Showing the pack" is easier said than done. Martin deliberately picked something that would be difficult for Tesla to disprove in his FUD.

I'm waiting for Martin to get sued for lowering peoples' resale values.

"Showing the pack" is easier said than done. Martin deliberately picked something that would be difficult for Tesla to disprove in his FUD.

I'm waiting for Martin to get sued for lowering peoples' resale values.

Yes and no. Like I said in another post, put a "naked pack" on a table, fresh off the line, and an "affected" car next to it. Test both. Sure, visually it may be somewhat cumbersome, but if these packs are as affected as he claims, they would definitely show faults on any benchmark testing.

But, also as we've concluded (at least for the time being)....none of these packs have shown any issues in the field, that we know of.....and trust me....someone would have made a story out of failing battery packs by now.

Even getting them *out* of the car and casing off is a lot of work. And so what? What exactly do you expect them to see?

*I* don't expect them to find anything, TBH. IF my car was on "the list", I'd just ask for a diagnostics check, and I'd make sure the car's service record was flagged as "one of those" in case anything ever went wrong. And as far as we know, Tesla may have already flagged all of those cars and may reach out to the owners.