Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will end referral program Jan 31, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally, they kept giving out the same "small" prizes every referral program. They asked the top referrers what they wanted and many suggested larger prizes that would take multiple referral programs to attain. I don't think they were expecting roadsters but it was awesome when they did offer that (and the other prizes as well: drive the Boring Machine, go to a SpaceX launch, drive the Tesla Semi, send a time capsule into space, etc.)
All those other prizes are also cool. I guess the issue I have with offering the X or Roadster is that its obviously set up so that 'normal' people would never attain that and it would only be celebrities/youtubers/media types with significant followings that would have a shot of getting that high....either that or I need to change my social circles because I definitely don't personally know 50 people that can afford a Tesla :(

Also, the more I think about it if I were a tesla salesperson I would feel a little annoyed about someone claiming they 'deserve' a roadster because they sold so many teslas to their social media/reader fan base.

Setting up a program that 'normal' people can't attain is fundamentally flawed in my opinion. It would have been better to say something like: 'at 10 referrals you get entered into a draw for a roadster/model X/model S with a 1/10 chance of winning'. That way they are giving out a roadster for every 100 referral sales (or whatever ratio makes sense). But more importantly; if someone gets 'only' 10 referrals they actually have a chance at winning something truly awesome :eek:

Not surprised to see it ending when you have YouTuber's and others who have hundreds of referrals. Yes, content creators add value with the video's they create, but claiming that you deserve a $250,000 car because you "sold" hundreds of Tesla's to random strangers who used your referral code is a load of nonsense to me. Yes, some of the content creators no doubt helped drive sales, but I doubt it's as many as they might like to think it is.

IMO Tesla messed up when they started offering rewards that went beyond simple things like wall chargers and tire rims, and now they're looking at tens of millions of dollars in obligations as a result. There's a big difference between a "refer a friend" program that offers fairly straightforward rewards and a program that offers a $250,000 supercar as a reward. At that point you're basically asking people to go well beyond the "people you know" crowd and start buying ads on Google or Facebook...

Never got any referrals myself, but was able to use a friend's code for my Tesla, which was likely the original goal of the program in the first place.

Last edited:
Not surprised to see it ending when you have YouTuber's and others who have hundreds of referrals. Yes, content creators add value with the video's they create, but claiming that you deserve a $200,000 car because you "sold" hundreds of Tesla's to random strangers who used your referral code is a load of nonsense to me. Yes, some of the content creators no doubt helped drive sales, but I doubt it's as many as they might like to think it is.

IMO Tesla messed up when they started offering rewards that went beyond simple things like wall chargers and tire rims, and now they're looking at tens of millions of dollars in obligations as a result. There's a big difference between a "refer a friend" program that offers fairly straightforward rewards and a program that offers a $200,000 supercar as a reward. At that point you're basically asking people to go well beyond the "people you know" crowd and start buying ads on Google or Facebook...

Never got any referrals myself, but was able to use a friend's code for my Tesla, which was likely the original goal of the program in the first place.
FYI, the next gen roadster is $250,000 US.

• Helpful
Reactions: swotam