Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will introduce few "other variants of Model S" next year.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model X has the same motor as the Model S in the rear. Somehow they are (or intend to be) able to provide the Model X Performance with the power to provide 50% additional torque (and achieve 0-60 in 4.4 sec with the additional weight).

Yes this is true. When an electric motor is at low speed it is still putting out maximum torque, but not maximum power. If you added another motor you would get slightly more torque (only at the very low end) until you hit the battery power limit. So you get a small advantage but I don't think it is much before you start hitting the power limit.

I think the max battery power output tends to happen at higher RPMs (when horsepower peaks.)
They might be able to delivery more overall low end torque off the line with a 2nd motor added in.
I think the advantages of AWD are mostly about low speed, "hooking up" and getting "off the line" traction.
Once "at speed" there may not be much of an advantage anymore.
So, perhaps 0-30 (and 0-60) could improve, but things like top speed and 60-120MPH performance might not be helped.
(Me just guessing though.)

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I see ElSupreme was in the process of making a similar response...

I hope people at Tesla are reading this thread and going: "Well, Elon says a lot of stuff ad-hoc and AWD was never the plan for Model S and especially in 2013, but it has sparked so much interest among the reservation holders that we're going to look into it." And then a few weeks later they'll say: "Well, turns out since we've already developed it for the Model X and it's working well and the S is the same platform we could implement it without much effort as an option in the S. It will cost us $4k in parts and labor but people are willing to pay $10k for it! Let's start marketing it!"

IMO Tesla started testing AWD almost as soon as first skateboards were made. But the decision was made to go with RWD to avoid any potential R&D roadblocks, that could delay start of Model S production. IMO Model S AWD is more or less ready for production. It's just that Tesla is concentrating on resolving production issues. But with this issues resolved and Tesla expected to be in much better financial state, my bet is that production of S AWD will start in 2013. We must not forget Elons quest to build the best car in the world and S AWD might just do the trick.

Agree - with AWD the Model S will be the fastest sedan in the world - I think Cadillac lays claim to it although I think the Panamera Turbo AWD may also be in the mix. Make it the best sedan in the world Elon - you have everything set up to make it happen.

What is the weight of the X with AWD? I'm curious because at 4.4 from 0-60 that is the same as MSP. Therefore if the X is heavier than MSP, the Model S Performance should be quicker to 60 with the same set up.

Both having the same times probably means that the limitation is how much power can be drawn from the battery. If it takes X watts to accelerate from 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, and the battery is only capable of X watts, without degredation, then that's the limitation whether you have one motor or four. If the limitation was tire traction, then AWD would be quicker.

According to some car sites, the X is estimated to weigh approx 5000 lbs (not sure if that is RWD or AWD) but if it is 400 lbs or so heavier than the MSP. Therefore it would seem the MSP with AWD would shave a few tenth s of a second off 0-100

I emailed Tesla to ask if they will be building an AWD Model S next year as part of Elon's statement, and if so, would I be able to move my Model S back into defer mode to get the AWD.

This was the response...

"At the moment there is no list of future variant options for Model S. As Tesla designs new functionality it will be formally announced through the Tesla Motors website. I don’t expect AWD to be available on a Tesla vehicle until Model X launches."

I emailed Tesla to ask if they will be building an AWD Model S next year as part of Elon's statement, and if so, would I be able to move my Model S back into defer mode to get the AWD.

This was the response...

"At the moment there is no list of future variant options for Model S. As Tesla designs new functionality it will be formally announced through the Tesla Motors website. I don’t expect AWD to be available on a Tesla vehicle until Model X launches."

My opinion is that Tesla will start producing AWD Model S and Model X together. It can also be inferred from this Tesla answer. It would be good. :)

I emailed Tesla...

This was the response...

Sorry, I read this as a tacit admission.

I could be very wrong.

But hope not. :)