Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Texas - a state that doesn't allow Tesla to sell cars. I have purchased two Model S's. Both times I paid $0.00 in sales tax to CA, which is where I technically bought the car. Then when they shipped it to me in TX I paid TX sales tax to get my tags. I suspect this is how it will go in MI too.

Hypocritical of TX to take the sales tax on a car they ban from being sold in the state. But since when does hypocrisy stop a state or federal gov agency???

So the car needs to be titled out of state initially?
How does that work, will Ohio title a car and put a Michigan home address on the Ohio title?

Every other time I’ve had a car titled, I had to have an address in the state in which the car was to be titled.

I think there's confusion in the terminology there.

A title (document) issued to you recognizes title (legal right), rather than granting you title. Hence the idea that in all or virtually all states, you have title to the vehicle at the date of sale, not the date the title was issued.

So, they just mean that the transaction must be completed out of state. Michiganders will have to pay for it before it's delivered, as in many other states.

• Informative
Reactions: D.E. and mongo
Great, now you'll get the awful customer service the rest of us experience. Congratulations!
See that’s been the most concerning bit as a Michigan based Tesla owner. Tesla’s customer service and after sales service has gotten so awful over the past couple years it was scary. I hope Elon is doing something to change all that because it’s been pretty bad. But hey at least now we have the luxury of not driving 3 hours for terrible service and can get to that in a matter of under an hour hopefully. So I say small mercies.

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
See that’s been the most concerning bit as a Michigan based Tesla owner. Tesla’s customer service and after sales service has gotten so awful over the past couple years it was scary. I hope Elon is doing something to change all that because it’s been pretty bad. But hey at least now we have the luxury of not driving 3 hours for terrible service and can get to that in a matter of under an hour hopefully. So I say small mercies.

Ummm no. While they supposedly have rangers, servicing of any kind in Michigan at least in my experience, has been awful. For every little to big thing they’ve been asking people to drive down to Toledo and wasting upwards of 4 hours in a day doing that was making Tesla ownership quite painful in this state. In the past year they’ve not been very open to sending out rangers nor have suggested software fixes for little things such as auto headlight issues etc.

Tesla officially ended valet service July 2019. so if your car has to go in and you live in Michigan you have to drive it to Toledo and then drive back to Toledo to pick it up. If you’re in the Detroit area that’s about 5 hours of driving there and back. That’s probably a 3 hour deal to drop off fill out their paperwork, get a loaner and get back home.

I had mobile service come out to my house today to replace my headlight.

Just had mobile out to my house twice over last month. Paid service for both cars. Not warranty.

But driving out of state for service was not the deal when I bought the car. It was mobile service and rangers. Now you can’t even get a human on the phone. Not the way to treat the customers from the early days.

I was told if it is inoperable and under warranty they will pay for flatbed. Post delivery squeaks and rattles you are on your own. They will not flatbed a car for that. My car did have to go to service. It was 62 minutes one way. Loaner was there and charged to 90%. Was out door in 10 minutes tops. They are painting and doing floor work. Not sure there is a lobby. So i doubt they want you standing there for an hour. 2 customers came and went doing the same thing I did as I transferred stuff into loaner.

Was this deal in writing? You just joined yesterday. You could own a 3 or an S as it is not in your signature line. Yet you mention the early days. Many people a few years back had the promise of ranger service and flatbed. Those were mainly S owners.

Paperwork for a loaner. Asked me who my insurance carrier was and took a copy of my DL.

So which is it a 5 hour deal or a 3 hour one? In 5 hours I can be halfway to Iowa. Are we being a little dramatic because your upset? Michigan owner have been sold a tough bill of goods, but it ain't all Tesla's fault. They were like running out of money 18 months ago....Would you have prefered them not to exist to flatbed your car to no service center?

Last edited:
Novi works for me too. But two years ago, Tesla listed a pending service center @ Detroit, I don't think if that is still the plan.
To me, Novi probably is the easiest way for Tesla to set up One service center since they already have "one".

Well they already have a "secret" location in Farmington Hills, off Halstead. So I would guess they will officially announce that one since it is no longer not an issue. Tesla does need to have a subsidiary to run it though, per the agreement... whatever that means.

Well they already have a "secret" location in Farmington Hills, off Halstead. So I would guess they will officially announce that one since it is no longer not an issue. Tesla does need to have a subsidiary to run it though, per the agreement... whatever that means.
I agree with you. I am guessing they still need to go through the dealership process with SOS, that might take some time.

I agree with you. I am guessing they still need to go through the dealership process with SOS, that might take some time.
The laws have not changed, Tesla still cannot have a dealership, nor sell cars in Michigan. What they can do is create a wholly owner subsidiary which owns a registered service center. That service center can be staffed by Tesla employees. Additionally, staff at those centers and galleries are allowed to assist buyers with trade ins, vehicle prep and delivery, and paperwork. The caveat is that the title transfer must occur out of state (Ohio, Illinois, or elsewhere). So faxed or electronic signature with a non Michigan location handling the sale.

• Informative
Reactions: SunCharged
The laws have not changed, Tesla still cannot have a dealership, nor sell cars in Michigan. What they can do is create a wholly owner subsidiary which owns a registered service center. That service center can be staffed by Tesla employees. Additionally, staff at those centers and galleries are allowed to assist buyers with trade ins, vehicle prep and delivery, and paperwork. The caveat is that the title transfer must occur out of state (Ohio, Illinois, or elsewhere). So faxed or electronic signature with a non Michigan location handling the sale.
You would think they’d have a team of people on this as it could add substantially to demand and cut service costs for them and make existing MI customers happy. I didn’t renew my MS lease for this reason.

Just had mobile out to my house twice over last month. Paid service for both cars. Not warranty.

I have an x from 2016. The year it came out. It used to be a ranger came out to you. If it had to go in they would valet with a loaner. Even for regular service. They worked with the customer. They don’t do that anymore per Tesla as of last summer. Clearly a big change. So now you have to drive out to Toledo. 1.5 hours one way. 3 hours round trip to get back home after dropping the car off. Then again to pick it up. Of course they’re not open in the evening or weekends so if you have a day job you’re screwed. Not really the service level you expect for a 150k car. Point is Tesla service is declining steadily. I’ve been in Michigan the whole time. First time I have to take the car out of state. They’re going to run out of more money when people hear of how bad the service has become

I was told if it is inoperable and under warranty they will pay for flatbed. Post delivery squeaks and rattles you are on your own. They will not flatbed a car for that. My car did have to go to service. It was 62 minutes one way. Loaner was there and charged to 90%. Was out door in 10 minutes tops. They are painting and doing floor work. Not sure there is a lobby. So i doubt they want you standing there for an hour. 2 customers came and went doing the same thing I did as I transferred stuff into loaner.

Was this deal in writing? You just joined yesterday. You could own a 3 or an S as it is not in your signature line. Yet you mention the early days. Many people a few years back had the promise of ranger service and flatbed. Those were mainly S owners.

Paperwork for a loaner. Asked me who my insurance carrier was and took a copy of my DL.

So which is it a 5 hour deal or a 3 hour one? In 5 hours I can be halfway to Iowa. Are we being a little dramatic because your upset? Michigan owner have been sold a tough bill of goods, but it ain't all Tesla's fault. They were like running out of money 18 months ago....Would you have prefered them not to exist to flatbed your car to no service center?

You would think they’d have a team of people on this as it could add substantially to demand and cut service costs for them and make existing MI customers happy. I didn’t renew my MS lease for this reason.

Should have renewed or purchased. You got by already, a little more patients would have worked. Time to get rid of the corrupt legislators taking money from ICE.

I live in Texas - a state that doesn't allow Tesla to sell cars. I have purchased two Model S's. Both times I paid $0.00 in sales tax to CA, which is where I technically bought the car. Then when they shipped it to me in TX I paid TX sales tax to get my tags. I suspect this is how it will go in MI too.

Hypocritical of TX to take the sales tax on a car they ban from being sold in the state. But since when does hypocrisy stop a state or federal gov agency???

I was in Texas last week and was wondering why I saw only 2 Tesla's in a whole week. There was a small possibility I could have moved to Texas, now it is no way. Gas is cheap and soon people will probably get 18 wheelers to commute because it is a big truck and be proud of it.