Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X HEPA Filter retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So....after skimming through 5 pages of - this works, this doesn't work, needs software, no it doesn't, yes it does, my dad is stronger than your dad.

Has anyone (in say the CA area) done an air quality test of before and after? Based on the thread, a video like that might generate enough revenue to cover the cost of one of those meters and the filter...

Reply #90 above starts with, "It is obvious..." which it is.

Do a pretend install and follow my video and it will be as obvious as the nose on your face how all the air flows in to your measly cabin filter.

I did hope to make a similar vid for the cabin filter but have been remiss. I need my sons help to video so will try and make a more concerted effort. You could call the cabin filter the charcoal filter.

You could well be right. In which case the PUP description was fraudulent as it specifically stated that the carbon filter was part of the upgrade package.
I wouldn't exactly call it fraudulent, so long as you have both a HEPA filter and a charcoal filter, then the PUP delivers on what it promised. It's also possible that the Tesla HEPA filter provides additional odor neutralization beyond what a typical HEPA filter provides.

I wouldn't exactly call it fraudulent, so long as you have both a HEPA filter and a charcoal filter, then the PUP delivers on what it promised. It's also possible that the Tesla HEPA filter provides additional odor neutralization beyond what a typical HEPA filter provides.

So listing something specifically as part of the PUP upgrade, which is actually a standard part on all cars, is not fraudulent then? If true it is very deceptive and misleading indeed. Of course there may actually be a carbon vs paper cabin filter, but that has never been verified either way on any of these threads AFAIK.

So listing something specifically as part of the PUP upgrade, which is actually a standard part on all cars, is not fraudulent then? If true it is very deceptive and misleading indeed. Of course there may actually be a carbon vs paper cabin filter, but that has never been verified either way on any of these threads AFAIK.
There may be carbon in the HEPA filter for all we know. I've never seen anyone tear one apart.

Is the difference really just the filter? I swear I crank the fan to 10 and fresh air, with windows close, I still smell a small trace of the fire.

I have the Tesla oem filter
In my X on V9, when I crank to 10, it switches to recirc. When I turn on Bioweapon Defense Mode, it goes to 9 and recirc is disabled. I know previous comments indicate max fan elsewhere in this thread, and I may have previously commented that wasn't what I was seeing in V8, either, but I don't remember for sure.

That having been said, there may be additional components, or they may all be included in the Tesla HEPA filter, but as is discussed heavily after your post in this thread, the marketing material definitely mentions carbon. Beyond that, see this tweet from Elon:
Elon Musk on Twitter
Model S & X also have an acid gas filter, an alkaline gas filter & a carbon monoxide detector that autoswitches car to recirc mode. We should prob tell people about this more. Filters are giant, so too big to fit in Model 3.
So maybe recirc would turn on automatically in certain circumstances even though it is usually disabled.

I tried this one more time. The Palo Alto service center ordered the hepa filter and all for me, but then wound up not installing it and explained to me that there is a new internal engineering article forbidding this install on the grounds the motors that are in the vehicles will need to work harder to get air through the extra filter which will mess with the internal readings to be wrong and eventual error messaging saying the hvac system needing service and possibly burning out the motor.

Apparently the cars they’ve done this in the past are now showcasing this problem ...
Anyone here seen this error yet ?

I tried this one more time. The Palo Alto service center ordered the hepa filter and all for me, but then wound up not installing it and explained to me that there is a new internal engineering article forbidding this install on the grounds the motors that are in the vehicles will need to work harder to get air through the extra filter which will mess with the internal readings to be wrong and eventual error messaging saying the hvac system needing service and possibly burning out the motor.

Apparently the cars they’ve done this in the past are now showcasing this problem ...
Anyone here seen this error yet ?

Doesn’t make sense to me to be honest. The reason the filter was designed so large was to make it easier to pass air through... every model x would otherwise have this issue.

I’d say take the filter and install yourself. I’ve had mine in for over a year without issue. When mobile tech had to work on my car’s AC (which was overcharged at my 2 year service), he took it out and reinstalled it and didn’t mention a thing.

Doesn’t make sense to me to be honest. The reason the filter was designed so large was to make it easier to pass air through... every model x would otherwise have this issue.
It doesn't make sense to you that a package that used to be sold for something like $1500 might include a more robust blower motor in addition to the filters that don't cost anywhere near that amount at a time when Tesla wasn't even trying to be cash positive and there was no intention to make money on service?

It doesn't make sense to you that a package that used to be sold for something like $1500 might include a more robust blower motor in addition to the filters that don't cost anywhere near that amount at a time when Tesla wasn't even trying to be cash positive and there was no intention to make money on service?

I suppose i could see that point. But, the Enhanced air package was $750 back in early 2017 for a month and was just the hepa filter in the housing and change in your settings to allow Bioweapon defense. Filter price is about $180 (at least that’s what i paid last year and installed myself). I suppose perhaps they should have included a stronger fan although there’s been no evidence of such thus far, which is what the SC is saying now? I guess I’m still skeptical, Also the parts catalog only shows 1 blower motor and quick review of the HVAC parts only shows 1 potential difference for hepa and non-hepa, which is the filter.

Hope my motor doesn’t give out!

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
I suppose i could see that point. But, the Enhanced air package was $750 back in early 2017 for a month and was just the hepa filter in the housing and change in your settings to allow Bioweapon defense. Filter price is about $180 (at least that’s what i paid last year and installed myself). I suppose perhaps they should have included a stronger fan although there’s been no evidence of such thus far, which is what the SC is saying now? I guess I’m still skeptical, Also the parts catalog only shows 1 blower motor and quick review of the HVAC parts only shows 1 potential difference for hepa and non-hepa, which is the filter.

Hope my motor doesn’t give out!
Nah, I have to concur with your skepticism. I forgot that they offered the post-production upgrade for a while. I doubt that they would replace the blower during a post-production upgrade, so can't imagine them offering the upgrade if that was required. The lack of two different blower options in the parts catalog also seems telling.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Nah, I have to concur with your skepticism. I forgot that they offered the post-production upgrade for a while. I doubt that they would replace the blower during a post-production upgrade, so can't imagine them offering the upgrade if that was required. The lack of two different blower options in the parts catalog also seems telling.

I think the increasingly obvious conclusion is that the original Hepa/carbon/bio-defense upgrade was in fact just a total rip-off and that SCs are now in ass-covering mode coming out with all sorts of BS why it was something more special and worthy of the price.

Reactions: Mrtee733 and K3Man
20180823_145804.jpg
Charmed my local service rep and had them retrofit my X for free

Reactions: Terthen
View attachment 360594 Charmed my local service rep and had them retrofit my X for free

My service center (a lead and 2 managers) told me that they could install the HEPA but that it didnt have the 'plumbing' to use it. Called their bluff and told them to go ahead and install it and I'd figure out the plumbing later. Then they said they didnt want to install it until I did the 'plumbing' which would required taking out the dash and major work. I even told them a friend of mine did the I stall without any additional plumbing, but they insisted the newer Xs no long have what it needs to use the HEPA without plumbing. I said no thanks, please install the HEPA only, as I was originally told it would be done without anything else required. So a ranger came out and did it for me. Furthermore, to my understanding, all we Xs have HEPA standard.

Overall, I guess it depends who from service you talk to and their honesty. I thought Tesla service wouldn't be like other ICE dealerships but In my scenario they arent always consistent or truthful.

Do your research, be informed, and don't blindly trust the service dept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terthen
My service center (a lead and 2 managers) told me that they could install the HEPA but that it didnt have the 'plumbing' to use it. Called their bluff and told them to go ahead and install it and I'd figure out the plumbing later. Then they said they didnt want to install it until I did the 'plumbing' which would required taking out the dash and major work. I even told them a friend of mine did the I stall without any additional plumbing, but they insisted the newer Xs no long have what it needs to use the HEPA without plumbing. I said no thanks, please install the HEPA only, as I was originally told it would be done without anything else required. So a ranger came out and did it for me. Furthermore, to my understanding, all we Xs have HEPA standard.

Overall, I guess it depends who from service you talk to and their honesty. I thought Tesla service wouldn't be like other ICE dealerships but In my scenario they arent always consistent or truthful.

Do your research, be informed, and don't blindly trust the service dept.

"Plumbing?" Haha that's BS. I saw them install it and it was simple. Just remove the inner plastic part and replace with the hepa filter. The service guy said to use the hepa filter just turn the a/c fan on to the max settings and everything goes through it

Reactions: Mrtee733
"Plumbing?" Haha that's BS. I saw them install it and it was simple. Just remove the inner plastic part and replace with the hepa filter. The service guy said to use the hepa filter just turn the a/c fan on to the max settings and everything goes through it

Probably BS as you say, but just because the HEPA filter itself is easily installed, it doesn't prove anything about differences in the rest of the plumbing in the car. Although it's hard to imagine what would be different and why? Tesla have really got themselves pinned up on this one and are probably worried about the backlash from owners who paid heavily for the upgrade. But there are a few unanswered questions like the exact spec of the carbon filters in the glove box etc. Now the plumbing and fan motors seems to be under question too!

I read this whole thread but am still unclear about 2 things
1. Bioweapon defense mode cannot be "fan on max and recirc on", because to pressurize the cabin, you MUST get outside air into the cabin - more outside air has to come in than gets out (through leaks or through wherever the air comes out normally) to maintain positive pressure. If you turn on recirculate and if that means no fresh air at all, there is no way the pressure inside the cabin will increase. Read the blog post Putting the Tesla HEPA Filter and Bioweapon Defense Mode to the Test too. Bioweapon mode is cleaning the air outside the car too. So, does anyone know for a fact what exactly bioweapon defense mode does (no guessing)?
2. The large HEPA filter is positioned immediately behind the frunk box. Where exactly is the outside air intake coming in? In any other HVAC system, I would have wanted the inbound air to hit the HEPA filter unimpeded. From the installation videos it looks like what comes out of the HEPA filter goes inside a relatively small channel.... near the center of the car, not the glovebox side where we know the cabin carbon filter is located. So how do we know for a fact that the HEPA filter is always in the path of incoming air and there isn't some dampers or other redirection in play?

If you disagree, can you please explain why