Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam USB drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i got the Sandisk iXpand USB drive so I could view my Sentry videos on my iPad. I formatted the drive to FAT32 and added the TeslaCam folder. However, when I insert the drive, nothing happens. It does sent seem to be recognized. The camera icon does not appear.

Any ideas as to what my issue might be???

i got the Sandisk iXpand USB drive so I could view my Sentry videos on my iPad. I formatted the drive to FAT32 and added the TeslaCam folder. However, when I insert the drive, nothing happens. It does sent seem to be recognized. The camera icon does not appear.

Any ideas as to what my issue might be???
Grab any old USB and add the TeslaCam folder. Toss it in and see what happens.
At least narrow it down to a thumb drive problem or car issue.
That’s at least a start

• Helpful
Reactions: pjoseph
If you used Windows to format your drive, that no longer works, from what I've read. You will either need to use a 3rd party program running on Windows or use a Mac, to create the file system. Here's a good writeup for Windows.

USB Flash Drives for Tesla Dashcam | TeslaTap

I did use a PC to format the drive, but I used a 3rd party program. It's the same program I used to format the previous USB drive.

If you use a macOS to format your USB, then you need to also set it to MBR as that is NOT the default which is why won't appear.

When you bring up DiskUtility on a Mac, then tap on the View button, and then select All Device and then format the USB stick and when it prompts set it for MBR.

I had a similar issue but as soon as I formatted it to MBR and created the folder, all is working.

Note: Saving to the USB stick is only supported on AP 2.5. AP2.0 does not support saving any of the videos to any USB stick. If you have FSD, and when you get the FSD Computer Upgrade, then you'll hopefully get that functionality, but until them AP 2.0 does not support saving video to USB sticks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay
If you used Windows to format your drive, that no longer works, from what I've read. You will either need to use a 3rd party program running on Windows or use a Mac, to create the file system. Here's a good writeup for Windows.

USB Flash Drives for Tesla Dashcam | TeslaTap

OK, just downloaded the FAT 32 formatting utility they recommended and re-formatted the iXpand drive. Will give it a try . . . .

If you use a macOS to format your USB, then you need to also set it to MBR as that is NOT the default which is why won't appear.

When you bring up DiskUtility on a Mac, then tap on the View button, and then select All Device and then format the USB stick and when it prompts set it for MBR.

I had a similar issue but as soon as I formatted it to MBR and created the folder, all is working.

Note: Saving to the USB stick is only supported on AP 2.5. AP2.0 does not support saving any of the videos to any USB stick. If you have FSD, and when you get the FSD Computer Upgrade, then you'll hopefully get that functionality, but until them AP 2.0 does not support saving video to USB sticks.

Thank you, thank you thank you! The MBR step was exactly what I was missing when using disk utility and why I could not see files using my iPhone.

Exactly the same problem here... Using 3rd party software to format ixpand drive to FAT32 in a PC, created the TeslaCam folder, but once plugged in the car an alert is shown "unsupported format". As the previous colleagues, I followed the same steps and used the same software than in previously SanDisk devices, working as a charm

Any thoughts?

I just got a Sandisk 256 G USB drive.

I get that I need to name a folder Teslacam, and that my car will upload files for an hour before it starts rotating out the old ones, but is there an easy way I can periodically move them to a place on that drive in another folder where they can be stored permanently without interfering with my car uploading another hour's worth of rotating graphics files?

March 2018 X75D

I just got a Sandisk 256 G USB drive.

I get that I need to name a folder Teslacam, and that my car will upload files for an hour before it starts rotating out the old ones, but is there an easy way I can periodically move them to a place on that drive in another folder where they can be stored permanently without interfering with my car uploading another hour's worth of rotating graphics files?

March 2018 X75D
Unfortunately it doesn’t. The larger drive is mostly useful for not having to empty out the sentry events collected. The scrolling one hour window just stays and is overwritten while you drive. There’s no way to work with the files except to remove drive and plug into computer. unless of course you use a drive designed to be looked at on an IOS device with either adapter or built in Lightning plug.

Reactions: UncaNed