Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disabled the script for a bit while I rewrite it. It was using quite a bit of server resources while it was converting larger databases like mine which have 350,000+ records. I need to probably break the file into 100,000 record pieces. The other problem is the amount of bandwidth someone could use downloading a file over and over again, mine is currently 150 MB and obviously growing. I'll probably have to put in a quota for 1-2 downloads a month and maybe some of the current months data. I worked on this tonight but didn't get very far. All of the really good export options for the database to export locally, not through a browser.
Thanks and I totally understand. I was hoping to replace VT with TeslaFi but I guess I'll have to wait a while for that.

It's always polling. The only time is stops polling is you have sleep mode enabled and it pauses polling to allow the car to sleep.

Could you elaborate on the details of Sleep Mode please? I used to have Energy Saver Off and Always Connected On. To try and be better, I turned on scheduled sleep, waited a few days, then turned Energy Saver On (but also left Always Connected On). Regularly now the vehicle takes a good 8+ seconds to boot up the IC, but my 17" lights up and music starts playing before that. So this seems to be more "sleepy" than w/ Energy Saver Off, but TeslaFi says I have 0 minutes of sleep. Is TeslaFi perhaps looking for the CID to go to sleep?

Could you elaborate on the details of Sleep Mode please? I used to have Energy Saver Off and Always Connected On. To try and be better, I turned on scheduled sleep, waited a few days, then turned Energy Saver On (but also left Always Connected On). Regularly now the vehicle takes a good 8+ seconds to boot up the IC, but my 17" lights up and music starts playing before that. So this seems to be more "sleepy" than w/ Energy Saver Off, but TeslaFi says I have 0 minutes of sleep. Is TeslaFi perhaps looking for the CID to go to sleep?

All TeslaFi looks for is the battery current to be 0.0 then it will stop polling the car aside from "state" data to give the car time to go to sleep, usually 11 minutes. State returns the following response: online, offline, asleep, unknown - polling this data does not wake up or prevent the car from sleeping.

It looks like TeslaFi tried to let your car sleep 16 times as of 12AM last night but the API never returned that the car is asleep. From what I've read on here people have had to turn always connected to off in order to get the api to return 'asleep' with TeslaFi. It's possible that if you have always connected on it may take the car longer to actually fall asleep(more then the default 15 minutes in settings) but I haven't tried it? I have energy savings on, always connected off and no other sites logging data and usually see between 2-4 miles vampire loss per day depending on how much I'm driving.

Hope that helps some.

I do have sleep mode enabled, as I'm trying to get some of the 8-10 miles of vampire loss back. But I'd like to wake up the car and teslafi so it captures a whole trip.
Even if the car is sleeping it still polls the car every minute to see the state (online, offline, asleep, unknown). So if the car is sleeping and you get in to drive it will catch that the state has changed from asleep to online and start polling full data. Usually the time it takes to unlock, get in the car and pull away it's already caught the state change. If you get in really fast and pull away before it catches the state change between the 1 minute polls it will use the last good data it had before it went to sleep as the beginning of your drive.

The only real time there is a chance of missing data is during the window when it's trying to let your car go to sleep and simply stops looking for any data aside from the a state change of online -> asleep. If you get in the car and go for a drive in this window it will miss anything that happens. This is why I added the 'start polling' button on the page to exit the 'try to sleep' action. @rmurphy suggested adding the email to alert you when the try to sleep stage starts as well.

All that said, if you want to wake the car up ahead of time you just have to open the tesla app on the phone. If it's sleeping you'll see it say 'waking car' which will wake up the car and TeslaFi will catch the state change within the minute.

All TeslaFi looks for is the battery current to be 0.0 then it will stop polling the car aside from "state" data to give the car time to go to sleep, usually 11 minutes. State returns the following response: online, offline, asleep, unknown - polling this data does not wake up or prevent the car from sleeping.

It looks like TeslaFi tried to let your car sleep 16 times as of 12AM last night but the API never returned that the car is asleep. From what I've read on here people have had to turn always connected to off in order to get the api to return 'asleep' with TeslaFi. It's possible that if you have always connected on it may take the car longer to actually fall asleep(more then the default 15 minutes in settings) but I haven't tried it? I have energy savings on, always connected off and no other sites logging data and usually see between 2-4 miles vampire loss per day depending on how much I'm driving.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks, that is indeed very helpful. Perhaps always connected on/off will change the API return, or the timing is elongated. I will have to see what I can try. I prefer not turning off that option as I do indeed notice my Tesla app loading time change significantly when it is on.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Thanks, that is indeed very helpful. Perhaps always connected on/off will change the API return, or the timing is elongated. I will have to see what I can try. I prefer not turning off that option as I do indeed notice my Tesla app loading time change significantly when it is on.
My experience is that connected really does need to be off. Even when I set the "time to try sleeping" to 30 minutes, my car never goes to sleep when connected is on. WIth connected off, it happily goes to sleep.

FWIW, I noticed the serious startup lags on 7.1 with energy saver on, even with connected off. This has improved with 8.0. I no longer see any lags even with energy saver on and connected off.

My experience is that connected really does need to be off. Even when I set the "time to try sleeping" to 30 minutes, my car never goes to sleep when connected is on. WIth connected off, it happily goes to sleep.

FWIW, I noticed the serious startup lags on 7.1 with energy saver on, even with connected off. This has improved with 8.0. I no longer see any lags even with energy saver on and connected off.

Thanks. I'm unwilling at this time to go to 8, so I'll just life with it until the specific bug in 8 that would affect me is resolved. Then I may rethink always connected.

Is there a limit to the number of drives in a day? Friday evening I went to a party and forgot the wine and double-back on the way there. That trip is noted. On Saturday morning (around 1 am) it noted the return trip. However, I don't see the trip from home to the party. Did I hit a limit for daily drives perhaps? Or did TeslaFi stop polling and not notice the active state on the sleep check?

Is there a limit to the number of drives in a day? Friday evening I went to a party and forgot the wine and double-back on the way there. That trip is noted. On Saturday morning (around 1 am) it noted the return trip. However, I don't see the trip from home to the party. Did I hit a limit for daily drives perhaps? Or did TeslaFi stop polling and not notice the active state on the sleep check?
From the testing I had done at start when James was rolling out this feature, it sounds like you started a drive when TeslaFi polling was disabled. I'm very thankful the site sends an email but note that the emails are only sent outside of any scheduled sleep mode you've set. I have mine set from 10pm to 7am so if polling is disabled during that time the site wouldn't tell me. The only workarounds are to minimize/remove scheduled sleep mode OR check the site on your mobile phone to see if the Start Polling button shows in the top header.

From the testing I had done at start when James was rolling out this feature, it sounds like you started a drive when TeslaFi polling was disabled. I'm very thankful the site sends an email but note that the emails are only sent outside of any scheduled sleep mode you've set. I have mine set from 10pm to 7am so if polling is disabled during that time the site wouldn't tell me. The only workarounds are to minimize/remove scheduled sleep mode OR check the site on your mobile phone to see if the Start Polling button shows in the top header.
Your probably right about the missed drive. If the car doesn't actually go to sleep it will keep trying which means it will miss data. I can add another email option to enable notifications during the night. I just have a kid and don't leave the house past 10 so I built it around that. I was also thinking about adding another email address for sleep notifications so you could enter your phone number to get a text when it's trying to sleep. For example if you have Verizon I can email [email protected] to send a text when polling is turned off and sleep mode is trying to let your car sleep.

Your probably right about the missed drive. If the car doesn't actually go to sleep it will keep trying which means it will miss data. I can add another email option to enable notifications during the night. I just have a kid and don't leave the house past 10 so I built it around that. I was also thinking about adding another email address for sleep notifications so you could enter your phone number to get a text when it's trying to sleep. For example if you have Verizon I can email [email protected] to send a text when polling is turned off and sleep mode is trying to let your car sleep.

That's probably a good idea. I use SimpliSafe for home security and they push text notifications via that email-to-text relay service. It's not always perfect but it's a fairly easy and cheap (aka free) method to send texts. Based on how SimpliSafe does it, you would probably have to restrict it to specific carriers that have a mapping to email address. They have a drop down of carriers and require a verification process before they start sending notifications so I'd recommend doing the same thing if you can.

However I recently switched to T-Mobile and be aware that they send from a different shortcode every time. I've been meaning to send them a WTF email about it. For AT&T, they general stuck to the same from short code but they changed every now and then so you would be able to save it as a contact. I imagine it's different for every carrier. I remember they didn't have a google voice option but maybe it's possible.

Maybe you can also have a setting under the schedule sleep area to send emails for those users who don't mind getting notifications in the middle of the night. OR they just remove/reduce their schedule sleep mode, which is obviously less work on your part as site admin. :)

@rfmurphy81 and @Jdeck , my car is set to try to sleep from 10 pm to 9 am with the thought that TeslaFi will be checking the sleep status and if asleep, not do a full poll to wake the car up.

Thus, I knew when I first got in at 10:37 pm, I pulled up TeslaFi and choose "Start Polling". It recorded the few miles round-trip I did to double-back for the wine. When I returned to the house, the passenger stayed in the car while I went and grabbed the wine. Are you saying that TeslaFi went back to not polling even though there was someone in the car still? If so, could I request that if someone manually selects "Start Polling", TeslaFi at least waits one interval of "Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep" before stopping inside the sleep schedule window?