Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's scary and amazing at the same time.
one concern, will this make the car talk to tesla too much, should i be concerned about 1 minute updates?
how often does the car update normally ?
I haven't seen or heard of any issues yet. In fact there's multiple users tracking different things on 3 different sites which means they could be polling 3 times a minute at minimum.

I'm not sure if anyone knows how often Tesla polls your car normally. Probably not too often though considering the car can sleep for up 3/4 of a day if not woken up by other means.

When I was running TeslaLog and TeslaFi at the same time, it seemed like vampire drain was higher than it should have been. James had introduced the sleep feature sometime shortly after, and this is when we discovered that TeslaLog was pinging the Tesla API so often that it was preventing TeslaFi from setting the vehicle to sleep. I don't think the vampire drain was twice (because I had two services pinging the API) but the car was basically kept in an "always on" idle state. Once I disconnected TeslaLog, which had served its purpose for me at that time, and starting Sleep Mode on TeslaFi, the vampire drain has dramatically shifted down. Now it's anywhere as low as less than a mile per day to maybe 3-4 miles per day on average, depending on various factors.

• Informative
Reactions: brantse
Is the car moving at all? Perhaps TeslaFi (or the API) is just returning it's last known location before remote access was turned off?
It is moving. I had a little bit of scratch on the front bumper, and they need to remove XPEL, fix the scratch, fully paint and XPEL, then glass coating. Thus the car needed to go to the SC first, body shop, then paint shop, film shop and come back to SC again.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
The API gives me the energy added to the battery which I use for the kwh added.

For the energy used, I have to add up all the data points and calculate it using the current and voltage from each point.

It does look like it needs a little tweaking. @rmurphy81 has been adding some data points for me to compare in the bug tracker at 0000058: Charge 67 Showing Incorrect Value for kWh Used - TeslaFi Bug Tracker. If you can add a few examples in there as well it would be helpful too. I'll try to get that one sooner vs later.

I appreciate the amount of information that you are able to able to get out of the Tesla API, given some of the real limitations of the Tesla API. I have looked at the API and for the benefit of others, I'd like to point out several factors that limit the accuracy of estimating the supplied power, even assuming that the car measures the current and voltage accurately:
  1. The supply voltage and current are reported as integers. It is also unclear whether Tesla rounds or truncates to get the integer. In any case, at 40 Amps the reporting precision is ±1.2% and ±0.6% at 80 Amps. Precision on the 240 volts is better (±0.2%).
  2. The supply voltage fluctuates. Data on my car shows ±2% variation in the voltage, which is pretty good. The trouble is that the API reports the instantaneous value, not the average value over the past minute at the one minute sample rate, so the fluctuations are not being tracked precisely. So there is likely an error of 1-2% between the sampled value and the average value.
Net is that the estimate of the power supplied can easily be off by as much as 2-3% due to way the data is provided in the API.

The power added to the battery is supplied as a floating point number, so the precision is fine but we don't know the accuracy of the measurements that go into Tesla's calculation of this value.

Bottom line: I expect a variance of 2-3% between the estimate of power supplied using the API current and voltage number and power reported by a charging station like ChargePoint, after correcting for any systematic errors (like truncating vs rounding).

Let's see how this works. My car is ordered (not in production yet) but have already registered for TeslaFi.com. Maybe it'll start tracking before I even get it. :)
Okay that was a dumb idea. :)

"No delivered cars were found in your Tesla.com account. Logging has been turned off. Once you have received your car and can access it via the Tesla app please return to TeslaFi.com and enable logging in your settings page."

I'm curious, why can TeslaFi record location data even remote access is turned off ? Attached is from my TeslaFi log a few days ago and the car was initially at the Service Center in Yokohama. They supercharged my car like 10 minutes and drove it to my office. There I charged my car to 90%. Service turned on remote access after leaving the service center.
Screenshot_2016-09-17-20-21-58.jpg

I have a home wi-fi. My MAC uses it to communicate with a TimeCapsule. I have a guest account for visitors with its own password. I am thinking of creating a new wi-fi account for my new Tesla. But I have no idea how to do this, or even if it is a smart thing to do. How does Tesla get wi-fi access?

I have a home wi-fi. My MAC uses it to communicate with a TimeCapsule. I have a guest account for visitors with its own password. I am thinking of creating a new wi-fi account for my new Tesla. But I have no idea how to do this, or even if it is a smart thing to do. How does Tesla get wi-fi access?
When at home it gets a list of all SSID's that are in range. You pick the one you want, enter the password and wait for it to connect. So if you create a dedicated wifi network for your car on your router it should see it.

When at home it gets a list of all SSID's that are in range. You pick the one you want, enter the password and wait for it to connect. So if you create a dedicated wifi network for your car on your router it should see it.
Sounds too simple.
Now confuse me a bit more....Should I use the existing SSID - that my main computer uses, or should I give it its own SSID. Will the speed of traffic be any different? Is it worth the effort? and part 2...how do I set up a dedicated wifi network? who do I ask? what are the magic words in a search?