Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @Jdeck , thanks for the great app! My question is about "kWh & Wh/m(km) Factor:" - my factor is 0.89, which I think too low.

Would it be possible for TeslaFi to read Wh/km data from the trip meter, instead from power consumption data every minute? I thought TeslaLog did it; I may be wrong. That way it is much more precise.

Also does this factor consider rated range differences between U.S. (old cars 300Wh/mile) and JP/EU (old cars 320Wh/mile)?

Hi, @Jdeck , thanks for the great app! My question is about "kWh & Wh/m(km) Factor:" - my factor is 0.89, which I think too low.

Would it be possible for TeslaFi to read Wh/km data from the trip meter, instead from power consumption data every minute? I thought TeslaLog did it; I may be wrong. That way it is much more precise.

Also does this factor consider rated range differences between U.S. (old cars 300Wh/mile) and JP/EU (old cars 320Wh/mile)?
Tesla doesn't provide any energy consumed info via the API like they do with some aspects of charging. The factor/calculation is based on the rated miles used during the drive so it applies to any car. The problem is that the rated miles used and typical miles used only reports with a 1/3 mile accuracy so it can be less accurate on short drives.

Reactions: hiroshiy
What a great site/solution! I have one of the Model S cars that was finished the last week of August / first week of September that seems to have the random NAV / GPS dropping issue. Of course when the car was at the Tesla Service Center last week they couldn't reproduce in the rather short test drive they took it out for (thanks to Teslafi.com for showing me when/what they did on the test drive). The great news is on the drive home the NAV acted like the GPS signal had died and when I logged in to Teslafi.com it showed exactly when the NAV started going haywire. I exported the screens from that trip to PDF and sent that on to the service tech at Tesla via e-mail. They are now ordering a new GPS cable (supposedly a real pain in the butt to replace).

Enhancement request: When traveling and staying at hotels and such it would be nice when I charge if I could enter in the $ for any particular charging session. Sometimes an EV charging network like Blink or OpConnect is the only option.

Great solution!

Best,
-Mark
Great. Glad it helped!
The charging cost for different locations is on the list of things to do. Thanks

I know you are working on a better way to handle missing entries while charging. I see a comment about that on my charge for today. That is to be expected in my case since cell service is spotty inside our parking deck. Sometimes I can precondition, sometimes I can't. Anyways, it looks like TeslaFi saw when I first plugged in and it it saw me reach a full 90% charge. So why is the starting charge unknown? In this screenshot, you can see I'm missing connectivity for a moment, but before and after connectivity, my battery range is still 181.79 miles. So I am confused why TeslaFi didn't extrapolate my starting charge %.
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 10.44.39 PM.png

The screenshot recorded a drive while I was driving in the parking deck and then plugged in (screenshot above shows charging at 12:48). Is that how it came to this weird 0.48 miles driven, yet 105,042 Wh/mi and $4.71 drive cost? I'm at a loss for how this entry got it's numbers. I'm going to hide it, but it sure is confusing.
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 10.52.04 PM.png

I know you are working on a better way to handle missing entries while charging. I see a comment about that on my charge for today. That is to be expected in my case since cell service is spotty inside our parking deck. Sometimes I can precondition, sometimes I can't. Anyways, it looks like TeslaFi saw when I first plugged in and it it saw me reach a full 90% charge. So why is the starting charge unknown? In this screenshot, you can see I'm missing connectivity for a moment, but before and after connectivity, my battery range is still 181.79 miles. So I am confused why TeslaFi didn't extrapolate my starting charge %.
View attachment 200263

The screenshot recorded a drive while I was driving in the parking deck and then plugged in (screenshot above shows charging at 12:48). Is that how it came to this weird 0.48 miles driven, yet 105,042 Wh/mi and $4.71 drive cost? I'm at a loss for how this entry got it's numbers. I'm going to hide it, but it sure is confusing.
View attachment 200265
Charging- It pretty much broke every catch I have in place to interpret bad data. You can't see it on that page but the first charging point it saw only received half the data. It did not receive the lat/lon data so it skipped the point in the calculations since it would have broken more things down the line. It tried for a point before and after but they were blank. It tried for the first good point and you were still driving. It tried for the next good point but the kWh added were already up to 1.05 kWh which gets even more confusing since it then thinks it may be a scenario when it's a charge back to back without unplugging. I corrected things manually since I was in there trying to see what happened. We'll see how it goes and if I can add more catches, unfortunately there's only so many catches I can put in when 1 out of the data points surrounding the start of your charge contained only partial data. The first points your see in your attachment is a drive.

Drive- When i manually corrected the charge it fixed that drive and now I can't really tell what the original points were that were throwing it off but it's fixed now.

Charging- It pretty much broke every catch I have in place to interpret bad data. You can't see it on that page but the first charging point it saw only received half the data. It did not receive the lat/lon data so it skipped the point in the calculations since it would have broken more things down the line. It tried for a point before and after but they were blank. It tried for the first good point and you were still driving. It tried for the next good point but the kWh added were already up to 1.05 kWh which gets even more confusing since it then thinks it may be a scenario when it's a charge back to back without unplugging. I corrected things manually since I was in there trying to see what happened. We'll see how it goes and if I can add more catches, unfortunately there's only so many catches I can put in when 1 out of the data points surrounding the start of your charge contained only partial data. The first points your see in your attachment is a drive.

Drive- When i manually corrected the charge it fixed that drive and now I can't really tell what the original points were that were throwing it off but it's fixed now.

Thank you! I figured it likely was because of the data connectivity issues and I know you are working on that area. I agree also that there is only so much you can do. I regularly have spotty connectivity at the parking garage at work, so hopefully my problematic spot gives you some scenarios to work off of. :)

Car went in for service, TeslFi (and TeslaLog) didn't record a charge during the night when it came back. I assumed some sort of network outage ...

... then I spotted that Remote-S was still showing the original SoC, so I went to the car to check why it hadn't charged ... it was fully charged! ...

So then I started the Tesa APP (haven't used that in a while! ... ) and it displayed the alert:

"Mobile App Remote Access is OFF

Turn Remote Access ON from the vehicle's touchscreen by going to Controls > Settings > Safety & Security"

OK, so that explains it! The Service folk must have turned it off ...

I wonder if a similar alert could detected in the API and added to TeslaFi?

Reactions: Cyclone
Car went in for service, TeslFi (and TeslaLog) didn't record a charge during the night when it came back. I assumed some sort of network outage ...

... then I spotted that Remote-S was still showing the original SoC, so I went to the car to check why it hadn't charged ... it was fully charged! ...

So then I started the Tesa APP (haven't used that in a while! ... ) and it displayed the alert:

"Mobile App Remote Access is OFF

Turn Remote Access ON from the vehicle's touchscreen by going to Controls > Settings > Safety & Security"

OK, so that explains it! The Service folk must have turned it off ...

I wonder if a similar alert could detected in the API and added to TeslaFi?

The mobile_enabled call is a separate API call which I don't pull since it only provides that one data point. Tesla Model S JSON API · Apiary. I'd like to avoid adding it since it's just more data back and forth between the API and more chances of timeouts and other errors. Do you know what the 'state' of the car read during the time the car had mobile access off? You should be able to see in the raw data in TeslaFi. I'm guessing it said Offline and maybe I could at least add a notification somewhere stating the car is offline.

Do you know what the 'state' of the car read during the time the car had mobile access off?

Can't be sure when the SvC turned Mobile APP off.

Day One:

09:20AM I arrived at SvC. Data showing "Online" and changed to "P".

At some time they told me I'd need to take a loaner, I'm guessing that they only looked at the logs during this time.
Around 10:10 I got my coat etc. out of the car.
Left in the loaner at 10:18 (according to Waze)

10:06AM idle_time reset from 45 to 0. Data Patchy (some minutes have some data columns blank).
10:27AM Patchy data stops

11:07AM Both left and right temp_direction changes from "none" to "-15" - someone got into the car maybe?

11:19AM New Drive No - presumably moved it into the service bay
11:34AM in_service changed to TRUE
11:37AM majority of columns change to blank
11:39AM Changes to offline (both "State" and "polling" [which was previously blank])

Following day:

09:44AM online
01:52 PM Offline
02:19 PM online
05:41PM in_service changed to FALSE (they had planned to get it back to me that evening, it was actually the following morning)
Stays online the rest of the day

Day 3:

Returned to me around 08:00 AM

Whole day car is showing online but with majority of columns blank. No obvious changes in column data all day
(Unloading the car and driving it into my drive didn't show up, but it would only have been a minute or two, and Mobile APP would have been off)

One thought: Perhaps check mobile_enabled when in_service changes to FALSE? (They also had the Alarm off when they returned it ... presumably so that that wasn't set off on the back of the transporter - the delivery guy remembered that one, but it seemed like something that could be overlooked and I'd be left without any alarm on the car!)