Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does using Teslafi increase vampire drain? I'm perfectly fine without having the data if it is going to constantly ping the car and keep it awake and consume battery even when it's sitting in a public garage. What sort of timeouts are built in? Has Teslafi stated what to expect in terms of battery impact?

Does using Teslafi increase vampire drain? I'm perfectly fine without having the data if it is going to constantly ping the car and keep it awake and consume battery even when it's sitting in a public garage. What sort of timeouts are built in? Has Teslafi stated what to expect in terms of battery impact?
I have both of the sleep settings enabled and I have VERY little vampire loss.

Here is the sleep setting options and descriptions from TeslaFi and the settings I use. My vampire drain is the following this week (sleep and idle combined):

M- 1.59 Miles Drain - 0 Miles Driven
T- 2.95 Miles Drain - 12.81 Miles Driven (2 Drives)
W - 5.75 Miles Drain - 69.36 Miles Driven (7 Drives)
TH- 2.94 Miles Drain - 0 Miles Driven

TeslaFi Sleep Mode: X
TeslaFi polls data from your car at minimum of once a minute. This polling of data prevents your car from sleeping and creates what is called "Vampire Battery Loss" which can lead to 1-3% battery loss per day while your car is idle. In order to work around the problem TeslaFi.com has a sleep mode feature which tries to allow your car to sleep when idle and minimize the vampire battery loss.
In order for your car to sleep, the polling of data (aside from awake/asleep status) must be halted for a specific amount of time so the car thinks it is not being used and it's safe to go to sleep. While sleep mode can save energy it can also cause the possibility of data loss since the only way to allow the car to sleep is to stop polling the data while the car is allowed to sleep. Once the car is asleep there is no chance of data loss since the awake/asleep status is still polled every minute.

Only turn on TeslaFi Sleep Mode if all of the following conditions are met:
1. 'Energy Savings' is enabled on your car
2. 'Always Connected' is disabled on your car
3. You do not use any other tracking websites or other sites that constantly monitor your car.

Time To Try Sleeping: 15
When sleep mode is on and your car is idling, TeslaFi will watch for inactivity on the cars battery. When there is no activity, data polling will be paused for this amount of time to allow the car to sleep. If a drive or charge is started during this time, data will not be collected until this time ends and polling starts again. The default time is 15 minutes, usually the car goes to sleep within 10 minutes of the pause in data polling. Changing this number below 15 minutes may prevent your car from ever sleeping. The header of TeslaFi.com will alert you when your car is trying to be put to sleep.

Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep: 30
Sets the time since the last state change before trying to allow the car to sleep. Default time is 30 minutes. This is useful so the car doesn't attempt to sleep while you make a quick stop at a store and possibly miss the next drive during the non polling window while the car is attempting to sleep.

Email Sleep Alerts: X
Receive email alerts to notify you when TeslaFi is pausing the polling of data on your car to alert you of possible data loss during this time. You will also receive an email when the car has gone to sleep. No emails will be sent during the scheduled nighttime sleep mode hours if enabled below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduled Nighttime Sleep Mode:
Scheduled sleep mode can be used in addition to TesalFi Sleep Mode or instead of TeslaFi Sleep Mode.
When used with TeslaFi Sleep Mode, Scheduled Sleep Mode bypasses the "Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep" setting above during the hours specified below. If the vehicle wakes up during these hours it will not wait the specified time to attempt a sleep again.
When used without TeslaFi Sleep Mode, Scheduled Sleep Mode will try to put the car to sleep during the hours specified below.

Start Sleeping At: 10PM

End Sleeping At: 7AM

Could not have asked for better info. Thank you so much for providing such a detailed write up. I assume that since you use teslafi you are happy with said numbers vs. data that is yielded?
The only vampire loss I track is the overnight loss and mine is only about 2-3 miles in 9 hours, very negligible using the same sleep settings James uses.

When did paid subscription option get added? Had I known this was coming I'd have stayed with TeslaLog. It's kind of annoying that I've know got data in one spot that I will most likely loose access to.

$5/mo is a bit much for a casual app. The website is great and I enjoy using it but not for $5/month ($50/yr).
Then don't. No sense complaining about it. BTW, you can extract all of your data to a csv on the preferences page if you want it. $50 a year is a very good price for this type of thing and trust me James isn't getting rich off of it. ;)

When did paid subscription option get added? Had I known this was coming I'd have stayed with TeslaLog. It's kind of annoying that I've know got data in one spot that I will most likely loose access to.

$5/mo is a bit much for a casual app. The website is great and I enjoy using it but not for $5/month ($50/yr).

$50/year is a bargain for what this app offers.

Can you redevelop and replicate the services TeslaFi offers for $50/year?

Let's just say your hourly billable rate is $100/hour. Using this app for a year, isn't worth 30 minutes of your time? Can you build a complete replica of this service in 30 minutes?

While Teslalog is good, and free, you do get what you pay for. There's no guarantee that he will keep the service up or maintain it. We saw this happen with EVMote -- another great Tesla tracking service similar to TeslaLog and Teslafi. But he just didn't have the time to support it any longer and shut it down.

On that note, now that some of us are paying, can I make some feature requests?

Can we get the ability to turn columns on and off? For example the charging pages are chock full of info and takes up a huge chunk of the screen, but a lot of the columns I don't (personally) need to see. Can we get a settings page option to turn certain columns on or off? It's nice to know that information is there still, being stored, but I don't need to know (for example) my charger phase or the max_range_charge_counter or any other number of the columns.

On that note, now that some of us are paying, can I make some feature requests?

Can we get the ability to turn columns on and off? For example the charging pages are chock full of info and takes up a huge chunk of the screen, but a lot of the columns I don't (personally) need to see. Can we get a settings page option to turn certain columns on or off? It's nice to know that information is there still, being stored, but I don't need to know (for example) my charger phase or the max_range_charge_counter or any other number of the columns.
Yeah, I can look into this. I originally put all of those extra fields in there to make it easier for me to debug issues but I can also try to incorporate this.

Yeah, I can look into this. I originally put all of those extra fields in there to make it easier for me to debug issues but I can also try to incorporate this.

Awesome. Again I love that those columns are there, the inner geek in me loves to pour over that info, but most of the time I just am looking at a few columns of stats that I'm always interested in.

Also the ability to resize columns might work as well, as some of them are super wide because of the column name, but only have small numbers in them.

Awesome. Again I love that those columns are there, the inner geek in me loves to pour over that info, but most of the time I just am looking at a few columns of stats that I'm always interested in.

Also the ability to resize columns might work as well, as some of them are super wide because of the column name, but only have small numbers in them.
I had opened 0000046: Unwiden the Charging Page - TeslaFi Bug Tracker to sort of track "unwidening" the page, possibly by fixing the table labels (as they all seem to be using underscores instead of spaces). It seems like different labels could be used whether without the underscores or something different to make each column shorter naturally.

Maybe a new ticket to track hiding/showing column functionality per account?

Reactions: Fiver
I had opened 0000046: Unwiden the Charging Page - TeslaFi Bug Tracker to sort of track "unwidening" the page, possibly by fixing the table labels (as they all seem to be using underscores instead of spaces). It seems like different labels could be used whether without the underscores or something different to make each column shorter naturally.

Maybe a new ticket to track hiding/showing column functionality per account?

Thanks. I did create one here - 0000164: Customize Table Headers - TeslaFi Bug Tracker.

I added a note feature to add notes to drives this week. I am also going to add a 'tagging' feature for drives to build on the note feature this weekend or next week. At first it will allow for tagging drives by user created categories, and a page to view the drives associated with each category. Later I'll add in more detailed reports.

I also liked the design of creating notes directly in the drive table so I decided to rewrite the 'hide a drive' feature as well and will redo the merge and delete features too. Once I get through all that I'll take a look at what will be involved in working on the data tables tickets.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hi, @Jdeck , I think you still remember the Starting and Ending Ranges are not calculated correctly for JP and possibly EU cars. See attached ; my typical range left at the time of screenshot was approx 368km.
Screenshot_20161105-003310.jpg

Not sure if this has been discussed, but is there a way that we can get "home" charges to reflect only your actual charges at (or inside a set radius around) your entered home address?

I have not charged at "home" yet in November, I've been charging at work or elsewhere, but when I look at the calendar view for November it says the 4 charges I've done so far this month were at home. How do I get these into the "travel charge" section? I'm trying to (roughly) track my electrical use at my actual home vs charging at work/public chargers and having them all lumped together makes it difficult.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but is there a way that we can get "home" charges to reflect only your actual charges at (or inside a set radius around) your entered home address?

I have not charged at "home" yet in November, I've been charging at work or elsewhere, but when I look at the calendar view for November it says the 4 charges I've done so far this month were at home. How do I get these into the "travel charge" section? I'm trying to (roughly) track my electrical use at my actual home vs charging at work/public chargers and having them all lumped together makes it difficult.
I had originally set things up to consider home charges anything within 1 mile of your home address. I just changed it to .5 miles and it looks like it's showing those as travel charges. I'll see how the .5 works out and can always adjust or put it as a user editable variable as well. .5 is still probably overkill.