Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

teslafi vs teslaspy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh gads, do we need to work through referral spams with TeslaFi too now! Oh, just use your TMC handle name. Great idea ;)

Initially created my own logger using work from restful APIs. Required pc to run local, or hosted VM. Used physical loggers for even more precise data gathering.
Moved to TeslaLog when he first started that. Still subscribe, though definitely behind the others now.
Ran TeslaFi simultaneously with TeslaLog for years.
TeslaFi wins hands down due to a few things:
1) complete access to your data if, and as, you need it. Look for importing/exporting your data...
2) Receptiveness and support of developer WAY before this was a cost recovery. I completely support them still now as there’s something to be said for enabling those who enable this, though this is still great support and new features as needed.
3) there’s a lot to be said about too much data often obfuscates actionable information. I haven’t seen TeslaSpy beyond the video, and agree some things may be nice to have represented that way - eg data per road segment.
4) what’s more important to me is whether the system abuses the API as that would not only cause additional vampire drain, it may cause your account to get banned/blocked for periods - haven’t seen this in a couple of years, though it used to happen.
5) site security is important. Doubly so if you’re giving access to your account username/password rather than supplying a token.

• Informative
Reactions: jombolo
These are the big ones. Make sure Sleep Mode is enabled and the Try to Sleep Requirements are both un-checked. The Time to Try Sleeping should be 11+, and Idle Time before Trying to Sleep is up to you. Higher #s will add a little drain but lower the odds that you miss recording short drives in quick succession.

View attachment 326545
Zaxxon, have you played with the idle time before sleep which you have set at 30? I would guess that reducing it would reduce vamp drain further. but according to Teslafi, would reduce accuracy for drives with a short downtime between them? I ask because my car has been sitting in the driveway for 52 minutes but has still not "gone to sleep" and teslafi is showing idle still. I'm using the exact settings you posted.

Last edited:
Zaxxon, have you played with the idle time before sleep which you have set at 30? I would guess that reducing it would reduce vamp drain further. but according to Teslafi, would reduce accuracy for drives with a short downtime between them? I ask because my car has been sitting in the driveway for 52 minutes but has still not "gone to sleep" and teslafi is showing idle still. I'm using the exact settings you posted.

Yes. It's a personal preference thing. If you set it very low, TeslaFi won't keep the car awake. But you will miss short drives in quick succession. I chose 30 min as the impact of keeping it awake that long isn't large, and most quick stops are < 30 min.

Quick question: Does sleep mode work at all if I keep cabin overheat enabled? I have a young kid, so there is no way I am going to disable it.

Yes, but if the interior temp starts to approach 105 F, 0 the car will not sleep. It's important to call this out, as I've seen folks just assume the culprit is TeslaFi when in reality it's cabin overheat protection keeping the car awake.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Ok the whole phobia regarding vampire drain is a little overblown. Most people would turn on the 'always connected' feature for convenience anyways. Same for 'energy saving mode'. When I get in the car I don't want to wait for it to boot up. If I'm in the store, I keep the climate control on because I don't want to come back to an oven. When I drive the car, I drive as I like, not always trying to have the lowest energy consumption. All these things use more energy than any data logging service. It's just odd how people are so concerned about one kWh extra a day of energy usage to have a gap less log of your car.

Screenshot_20180819-135720.png

Make sure in your Help --> Raw Data Feed, you can see TeslaFi attempting to let the car sleep periodically. If it's not, you likely have a setting incorrectly set. If it's letting it sleep but never sleeping, then you're likely looking at another cause, eg cabin overheat protection, update downloading, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
View attachment 327094

Make sure in your Help --> Raw Data Feed, you can see TeslaFi attempting to let the car sleep periodically. If it's not, you likely have a setting incorrectly set. If it's letting it sleep but never sleeping, then you're likely looking at another cause, eg cabin overheat protection, update downloading, etc.

I'd say, from this screen shot, the cabin overheat protection is preventing from entering sleep mode....Judy Jetson was asleep earlier today.
teslafi.PNG

Last edited:
View attachment 327094

yeah, it's showing all the times it attempted to sleep...the car just isn't sleeping. i wonder if this has to do with my phone bluetooth staying connected even after i leave the garage and come inside...

yeah, it's showing all the times it attempted to sleep...the car just isn't sleeping. i wonder if this has to do with my phone bluetooth staying connected even after i leave the garage and come inside...
that should not matter. my car is parked 15ft away from our couch (no garage) and my wife and my iphones are bluetooth connected. perhaps if you are on android, it's a consideration. you can try turning your phone bluetooth off for a few hours too see if it helps. but if you have cabin overheat protection on and your garage is hot...could be the culprit. try turning cabin overheat off too.

I'd say, from this screen shot, the cabin overheat protection is preventing from entering sleep mode....Judy Jetson was asleep earlier today.

Yes. 101 interior temp will keep it awake.

Home assistant polling will also potentially do it. Ideally you want nothing using the API other than TeslaFi until you know you have your TeslaFi settings dialed in.