Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

teslafi vs teslaspy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to show what TeslaSpy's sleep settings look like. i created an account but haven't used yet.
teslaspy.PNG

How long does your car usually sit idle before going into sleep mode (if nothing else is pinging it and cabin overheat is off)

It varies. I've taken a Zen approach lately, as there are a bunch of things that can keep the car awake, not all of which are fully understood outside of Tesla.

On a 'normal' day, when it's not very hot or cold out, I can park the car and walk away and after my selected TeslaFi timeout passes, the car will try to sleep for its 11-minute period and then fall asleep. And stay there for hours.

Other days it'll wake up (or just not sleep) because it's warm enough inside to be near the 105F overheat level. I'm not sure exactly how warm it has to be inside the cabin to keep the car awake, but it's less than 105F--it seems to stay awake once the car is in the upper 90s or so. Sometimes it'll stay awake for reasons unknown to me--maybe prepping a software update, sometimes uploading data to Tesla (I can see via my wifi router stats).

• Informative
Reactions: jombolo
it was definitely home assistant that was keeping my car awake. turned that off this morning and the car is now asleep in the garage.

i'll have to look into refactoring the home assistant plugin to see if i can get it to allow sleeping...

I reinstalled TeslaFi on Friday and so far car is doing well. Car seems to fall asleep on average roughly 45 minutes after stopping (granted, I have no clue what it was doing before so don't know if it is more or less).

On Sunday night/Monday morning, the car had multiple start/stops charging - it's happened in the past but never this many times (20+ attempts). I am not sure if it just coincidence or something with TeslaFi. Anyone else have similar issues? I have seen other posts about this but didn't have much info on it.

TeslaFi doesn't log my morning drive to work correctly, it picks it up on the map like 15 mins into my drive. So if my drive is 60 mins, TeslaFi says I drove for 45 mins, but still went 19 miles.

EastBay to SF commute.
The most common cause of this happening is the sleep timer kicking in right before you head out. Check your raw data feed from the TeslaFi help drop-down when it next happens to see what you see.

How does Teslafi/TeslaSpy determine the $ cost per drive? Is this based on the rate per kwh you put in the settings (TeslaFi only) or tags (TeslaSpy)? Or, is it based on the cost of the last charge? For instance, if i charge at home, my rate is $0.1, however if i charge at station, it could be $0.2 or higher which would drastically change the cost per drive.

How does Teslafi/TeslaSpy determine the $ cost per drive? Is this based on the rate per kwh you put in the settings (TeslaFi only) or tags (TeslaSpy)? Or, is it based on the cost of the last charge? For instance, if i charge at home, my rate is $0.1, however if i charge at station, it could be $0.2 or higher which would drastically change the cost per drive.
I seem to recall there being a section for you to put in costs. I think it is designed for home charging, not sure how it calculates supercharging.

I seem to recall there being a section for you to put in costs. I think it is designed for home charging, not sure how it calculates supercharging.

They just added a Supercharger cost setting this week, where you can set whether it uses free or a set rate.

Yes, both of you are correct, which i indicated with my question "Is this based on the rate per kwh you put in the settings (TeslaFi only) or tags (TeslaSpy)?" For Teslafi, we know you can input your home kwh cost in your account settings, and you can input kwh cost on individual charges at superchargers. For TeslaSpy, when you tag a location (home or supercharger) there is a field for cost per kwh. The root of my question is: when the cost per drive is displayed, is it basing it off the cost of your last charge, or some kind of blended rate? I'm sure it differs between Teslafi and TeslaSpy. Since everyone seems to be more familiar with Teslafi, does anyone know?

TeslaFi seems to use my home charging cost for everything. I just looked at a day when I exclusively supercharged and compared to today, which was from a home charge earlier this week. Both come in at exactly $0.10/kWh, which is my home cost setting (but not my Supercharger setting).

With that said, I don't know that the daily/drive costs are intended to be 100% accurate, but more of an estimate. I don't think most people would spend the time filling out the charge cost numbers for every charge point that they plug into (then again, most people probably wouldn't use a logging app for their car, so...). To see more accurate costs, look at the charge summary page (which I believe should use your cost settings for each charge location).

• Informative
Reactions: jombolo
After using Teslafi and TeslaSpy for close to a week now, it is amazing how much data is available to me with these "apps". It's a novelty for sure. Though, from a practical day-to-day driving aspect, i cannot figure out, or justify in my mind, the need to pay $50/year for this information. The cost/benefit ratio of the information is a huge grey area. There is very little that I can actually do with the data (at least that I can tell). You might be able to make some very small changes to driving habits, etc. but I don't see myself being able to recoup the annual $50. Bring on the counter arguments! But be kind!

I view it kind of like the car itself. There's no way I'm 'recouping' $56k on a 3. But I sure like the 3. I use the app not because I expect it to change my behavior, but rather to get a detailed view into how I'm using my car, exactly what consumption to expect on certain routes, to see how temperature impacts range, etc. None of which I need. But if I view $50/year as a piece of the total cost of the car, the difference is peanuts and greatly improves my visibility into the car.

Tl;dr - I'm a nerd and I likes me some data.