Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaLog.com - Your hosted Tesla Data Logger - Announcement / Support threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think that’s correct. There was an early discussion about security and one approach was to create the token and then change the password, the token would keep working but the password used to create the token could not be used.

Well I was wrong on this one. Changed my my.tesla password and about a half an hour later got an email from teslalog about an expired token.

So back to the expired-token experiement. Now without an active token my car is not being woken up every minute or so according to shop tech (car is in for service) and because the network is not constantly rebooting, the compressor is not self-assessing and there is no frequent clicking noise. I would think that polling should not be causing the network to reboot (thus causing a hardware survey to run). Engineering may be interested in this as well but while there may be a fix down the road I doubt we’ll be notified when it changes. It will be interesting to see if using the app triggers the same sequence of events. I’ll run that test when I have the car back.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Got my X back, yay! Without an active token TL is not waking the car and there is no clicking. Activating the phone app prompts a series of clicks, including the one up front that has been the issue. Still think that the “chassis network” should not “reboot” every time there is a remote connection. Do your cars do this? Is this just an X thing? Seems like the problem is on the car end, not with TL or the API.

Maybe this was answered before, but when I go to the token page: https://teslalog.com/tesla_token.html
the actual tokens are shortened with ... in the middle. How does one acquire the full token string, say to use in other apps?

I'm just bumping this again... I'm changing my LogMySC.com trip logging app to use the Tesla API to pre-populate the fields upon each arrival and departure, and it's working really well now. But I don't want it to be yet another third-party app that requires the MyTelsa login credentials in order to generate an API token. So I'm allowing people to just add an existing token they can get elsewhere, like TeslaLog.com. But as I said above, the "token" page does not display the entire token. Is there a reason it is truncated? Why display it at all then?

So can you provide an option to export or copy to the clipboard the token? So people can use it in other apps without supplying the MyTesla credentials.

What other 3rd party apps allow people to generate Tesla API tokens?

thanks.

May we have a switch to turn on and off all polling?
EV Trip Planner is now able to collect trip data from TeslaLog.
I would like to be able to turn TL and and off when driving to keep it from pestering the car when it is just sitting in the garage. The only way I have been able to do this is to revoke the login by changing the …/mytesla password.

I would like to be able to turn TL and and off when driving to keep it from pestering the car when it is just sitting in the garage. The only way I have been able to do this is to revoke the login by changing the …/mytesla password.

It's never pestering the car. It's pestering the Tesla API servers. No app ever has a direct connection to the car itself.

I
It's never pestering the car. It's pestering the Tesla API servers. No app ever has a direct connection to the car itself.
Correct, my bad for leaving the server out of the equation, but my car is getting pestered none the less. Pestering is happening but it’s not TL’s fault. What I know: When TL is active my car clicks about every 90 seconds. When I run the phone app the same clicking happens. I recently learned from the SC that logs saw my car waking up every 90 seconds which caused a “chasis network reboot” and they say the clicking is a compressor running self-check as part of the reboot. When I disabled TL (by changing the …/mytesla password) while the car was at the SC the clicking {audible} and the waking up (aka polling) {log} stopped in real time.
So while TL is not contacting the car directly, something about polling the server is causing the car to wake up gumpily with every query.

teslafi has a pretty good summary of how it works. (same logic for teslalog)

TeslaFi polls data from your car at minimum of once a minute. This polling of data prevents your car from sleeping and creates what is called "Vampire Battery Loss" which can lead to 1-3% battery loss per day while your car is idle. In order to work around the problem TeslaFi.com has a sleep mode feature which tries to allow your car to sleep when idle and minimize the vampire battery loss.
In order for your car to sleep, the polling of data (aside from awake/asleep status) must be halted for a specific amount of time so the car thinks it is not being used and it's safe to go to sleep. While sleep mode can save energy it can also cause the possibility of data loss since the only way to allow the car to sleep is to stop polling the data while the car is allowed to sleep. Once the car is asleep there is no chance of data loss since the awake/asleep status is still polled every minute.

Only turn on TeslaFi Sleep Mode if all of the following conditions are met:
1. 'Energy Savings' is enabled on your car
2. 'Always Connected' is disabled on your car
3. You do not use any other tracking websites such as teslalog.com or other sites that constantly monitor your car.

I believe you can switch it off with the Monitor Drive/Monitor State buttons in teslalog. I think what you're asking for is for the developer to build more advanced sleep management features into the site, which is not an insignificant request.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
teslafi has a pretty good summary of how it works. (same logic for teslalog)

I believe you can switch it off with the Monitor Drive/Monitor State buttons in teslalog. I think what you're asking for is for the developer to build more advanced sleep management features into the site, which is not an insignificant request.
If you don't turn the Drive/Monitor off, a battery loss of about 10-14miles a day will take place waking the car for necessary data requested.