Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaOffer Frunk Stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
Anyone have their frunk get stuck in closed position? It beeps, I can hear it start to open, the latch will pop slightly but it will not open. It all started when it didn't close properly because I had a large pillow in the frunk. I then manually closed it. It would go up and down but wouldn't close properly. This time, I got it to close properly, with the food in there but now it will not open. I've tried the emergency release, prying up a bit when opening, nothing will open it. Unfortunately, we have food in it. Help!!

Two person job unless you are flexible. I suspect from your description that the system is confused so it is not using the motorized struts when the latch pops. It thinks the hood is open and you are trying to close it rather than being closed and you are trying to open it. You need to manually pop the latch with the pull cable, and at the same time (using a plastic trim removal tool or other tool that will not ruin paint) manually pull the frunk lid open.

After you get it open and rescue your food, you can make it re-learn the open and closed position by manually placing the hood in a mid position (not fully open) and repeatedly using the app to open and close it until it re-learns.

Keith

Last edited:
The trunk decided to open today. Woke up from a nap to a notification on my phone that my trunk was left open. It wasn't fully open, but it opened to the point that it typically would when the frunk initially pops. Told the app to open and it went up. It still doesn't know how to close so I'll try the mid-position to reset the device. Very strange. I read somewhere online that ice can build up under the hood and cause added pressure and not let the hood open properly. I can only guess that was part of the problem... Very glad to get the food out of the frunk and avoid a trip to the service center. Thanks, All for the suggestions.

So here’s my experience with the same issue ————

On a road trip right now …. But literally as I was loading up the last couple of items before leaving, which I had planned to put in the frunk …… It failed to open. It would actuate, pop, and partially release, opening maybe an inch or so, but not actually open. I could push it down to re-latch and repeat the process, but no joy in fully opening.

Emergency release cable had NO EFFECT. Not impressed with Tesla Offer at this point.

Needless to say, it was a bummer ….. but not a show-stopper. Jammed those last couple items in the back and headed out on the road.

Took it to the Lisle, IL Service Center this morning to try to get it open. Tech informed me they were “not allowed to touch aftermarket add-ons” but he would get it open for me. Nice guy - helpful service desk clerk too. Headed out with Uber credits. 2.5 hours later got the alert car was ready.

Asked Tech what he did …….. and he said …….. “nothing”. He fiddled with it for a while and then took it out for a drive. Went over a bump and “something released”. He got out and checked ……. To find that the latch had fully released. And everything was working fine.

Three cheers to the Lisle Service Center, because they charged me ZERO $.

Boo to Tesla Offer because the release cable failed.

Tech suggested I remove the kit and re-install the original struts when I get home.

That’s what I’m gonna do.

Now, the question is …………do I put anything up there in the frunk for the drive home? Hmmmm ………..

you just need to pull extremely hard to overcome the spring pressure of the latch.
Well ….. actually …… the release cable is connected to the soft close actuator motor. Not physically connected to the latch. My guess is it is supposed to trigger a release of the soft-close cable electronically. It seems in my case that the Tesla latch released as designed but the Tesla Offer motor didn’t let go …. And the release cable didn’t function properly.

After replacing the original struts and removing the kit, I enjoyed the simplicity of opening and closing my frunk several times all by my very own self.

Well ….. actually …… the release cable is connected to the soft close actuator motor. Not physically connected to the latch. My guess is it is supposed to trigger a release of the soft-close cable electronically. It seems in my case that the Tesla latch released as designed but the Tesla Offer motor didn’t let go …. And the release cable didn’t function properly.

After replacing the original struts and removing the kit, I enjoyed the simplicity of opening and closing my frunk several times all by my very own self.
You do you 👍

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
Update: TeslaOffer, now EVOffer sent me a replacement control unit (free of charge) to supposedly fix the issue. They said it could be water damage as the old unit was not IP66 related. Of course, my frunk is stuck again and the release cable broke. The issue was not caused by ice in the past, just the junk I put on my car. I wish I never installed this thing. Hoping I don’t need to take it to the service center and it magically opens again. I’d consider the new control unit but now I need a new emergency release too. Aggravating.

Update: TeslaOffer, now EVOffer sent me a replacement control unit (free of charge) to supposedly fix the issue. They said it could be water damage as the old unit was not IP66 related. Of course, my frunk is stuck again and the release cable broke. The issue was not caused by ice in the past, just the junk I put on my car. I wish I never installed this thing. Hoping I don’t need to take it to the service center and it magically opens again. I’d consider the new control unit but now I need a new emergency release too. Aggravating.
Yuck ….. this is exactly what I was afraid would happen to mine ….. which is why I yanked it out ASAP. Hope you get yours open again without too much trouble.

Update: I was able to get the frunk open. Had to strip back the cable to release. EV offer sent me a replacement motor and latch assembly. I’m back to functional. Hopefully, it won’t be an issue going forward. I will say their customer support has been good and that they have stood behind their product.

Was this the Tesla Offer or the Hansshow?

Same, I'd like to know which company... Debating on getting one down the road.

Tesla Offer.

Just FYI we had one hood fly up event with a Tesla/EVoffer mark 4.0 frunk. No indications that the frunk was open so not really sure what the deal was. The struts eventually stopped closing and had alignment issues which caused the frunk to eat the wiper arms. Ended up sending it back. It was a cool product but not worth the risk IMHO. EVoffer was nice and tried sending me a new ECU which did not fix. They did offer to send new struts but at that point I just elected for a refund and went back to stock.

They recently sent out some email about the landing feature (it is interesting that while I had the mark 4.0 with landing check I don't believe the manual was updated to include the information about testing the landing check functionality, so this may have been my issue. It has since been added to their install manual):

Dear Customer,

Our Model Y Electric Frunk MARK 4 has a landing check feature. We found that a lot of our customers did not know about this feature and did not test it after install, which we mentioned in our installation video and manual. We strongly recommend you to do the test to make sure it works on your car.

Due to car variation, we found that the landing check might not work on some Model Y. For that case you will need to update the firmware to F28. We changed the way to perform the landing check on firmware F28 for those who fail the landing check.

Please be reminded that the F28 software is only built for MARK 4.1 control units with hardware version v1500. The label can be found at the back of the control unit. If you cannot find the label or the label does not look the same, please contact Tech Support (https://t.me/evoffer) for assistance.

I am now in the same situation.
Frunk is closed and locked - the "open" button in the car and in the app gives me the unlock noise, but it does not unlock and the hood does not open.
The emergency cable is really stuck and if I pull it I would for sure snap it.

Unfortunately my windshield fluid is empty ... I really have to get inside :(:(
Is there anything I could do except cutting the frunk open ??