Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm @wk057’s data, at least my car and have no reason at all based on all about my car he shared to have any doubts. A small snippet of he shared.

Code:
Pack lifetime kWh used: 4010 kWh
Pack software energy limit: 72.000 kWh (100%) 
Pack software type: Energy75

If this were gm/Ford etc people would be losing their sh$t. I’m really glad I didn’t “upgrade” to the 90 pack like we were thinking when we purchased. This is bad, like defraud non 60 / 100 buyers. And 90 buyers even worse, I’m at least a stone throw away.

But given the AP2 debacle and this, it’s quite sad to love Tesla.... :mad::mad::mad:

Time for a trip in the Wayback machine to December 14th, 2016 on Electrek ... :cool:
Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs

Jason Hughes, wk057 a Tesla owner and hacker tinkerer, was the first to reveal the discrepancy in Tesla’s advertised battery capacity versus the actual capacity in the pack and the available capacity. He did it through a tear down of the since discontinued 85 kWh battery pack of a Model S. He found that the 85 KWh battery pack actually only had a capacity of up to 81 kWh and ~77 kWh usable capacity...

Now the data is directly from Tesla’s software and not a calculation based on the capacity of cells from a tear down of a pack. He gathered similar data from other Tesla models. Here’s a list he sent to Electrek:
  • Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
  • 85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
  • 90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
  • Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
  • 75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
  • Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
  • Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable
As you can see, sometimes the rounding is actually in Tesla’s disadvantage on total capacity, but it’s never the case for usable capacity. The buffers are there to optimize the range calculations and again, this ’rounding’ doesn’t affect the advertised range, which most car buyers prefer to work with when taking a decision anyway, but for those who like to know the battery capacity of a vehicle, it can be considered misleading.

Last edited:
Except for the fact they are selling you a 75 kW battery that’s only 72.... though it’s the 90’s really taking it from behind...

474AB4B5-C344-49C8-90DD-9E768C54A1E9.png

Interesting conversation here. I had my 85 battery replaced under warranty and it was showing very little degaradation (maybe 4 miles) over three years. They installed a brand new 90 pack that seems to have been built in September 2017 according to the serial number. Until they replaced my pack I wasn’t even aware they were still making new 90 packs. Should I be worried? Hopefully these new 90 packs have the new chemistry.

Interesting conversation here. I had my 85 battery replaced under warranty and it was showing very little degaradation (maybe 4 miles) over three years. They installed a brand new 90 pack that seems to have been built in September 2017 according to the serial number. Until they replaced my pack I wasn’t even aware they were still making new 90 packs. Should I be worried? Hopefully these new 90 packs have the new chemistry.
Curious, but maybe they had to to fulfill orders already placed. May I ask, did they software lock the battery or did you basically get a free 90 upgrade?

I'm honestly not sure what's best to do about it. I think Tesla hoodwinked everyone here, especially those with the 90-type chemistry.

I have a feeling that, given Tesla's track record thus far on such things, it'll take a big lawsuit to get anything done. All Tesla has done thus far is try to mitigate the issue by dropping current/power limits on charge/discharge and tightening thermal limits (thus lowering overall efficiency) in order to make the issue not as obvious to people.

Yep, the 90 chemistry is garbage. There is no doubt about it. My limited testing at the cell level proved it to me ages ago, but with the data trove bestowed on me a few months ago I can absolutely confirm it.

The supercharge speed issue is the worst, too, because it means an older 85/60 or a newer 100 can supercharge the same range much faster. Even worse is that the BMS for the 90 packs is less tolerant of cell imbalances and will quickly taper charge speed to mitigate a bigger imbalance during a charge.

From what I can tell the 100 pack uses yet another chemistry. The degradation appears to be similar to the original 85s.

Calendar degradation will be tough, because there are a lot of cars with non-original packs. I have the "birthday" for the car, but not the pack. I do have, however, "kWh charged" for every pack... which would be a good axis for a scatter plot (includes regen charging, so probably better overall too). Guess I'll do some later.

Edit: So.... I just did 85 and 90 pack scatter plots.... and I'm not even sure I should post them. Definitely going to open a can of problem worms for Tesla... ugh.

Oh, I'd like to hear this can-of-worms......

@islandbayy What supercharging issues are you seeing? I'm seeing weird rapid tapers within 60 seconds of starting supercharging, tapering down to 90kwh and random capping in the 60kwh range even with less than 30% SOC.

@islandbayy What supercharging issues are you seeing? I'm seeing weird rapid tapers within 60 seconds of starting supercharging, tapering down to 90kwh and random capping in the 60kwh range even with less than 30% SOC.

^ That's a whole different can of worms than the capacity issue. Suffice it to say the 90 packs are much more prone to SoC imbalance between cell groups. If one group has over about a 20 mV delta from the pack average, charge speed will taper. The higher the delta, the worse the charge speed reduction.

I swapped out the 90 pack on my S with a newer one because I had two cell groups at something like 40mV delta from the rest of the pack... my top supercharger speed was about 50 kW no matter where I was and it made charging time on my last trip with that pack take 3x as long. The new one is already starting to develop its own uncorrectable imbalance after just ~6000 miles of use.

Suffice it to say... **** the 90 packs.

^ That's a whole different can of worms than the capacity issue. Suffice it to say the 90 packs are much more prone to SoC imbalance between cell groups. If one group has over about a 20 mV delta from the pack average, charge speed will taper. The higher the delta, the worse the charge speed reduction.

I swapped out the 90 pack on my S with a newer one because I had two cell groups at something like 40mV delta from the rest of the pack... my top supercharger speed was about 50 kW no matter where I was and it made charging time on my last trip with that pack take 3x as long. The new one is already starting to develop its own uncorrectable imbalance after just ~6000 miles of use.

Suffice it to say... **** the 90 packs.

Lesson learned, skip right to 100kw pack when I have you upgrade it in a few years ;)

Reactions: KyleDay and Ulmo
Why would the imbalance be uncorrectable? Are some cells actually failing?

Failing is the wrong word. More like random, rapid, and extensive degradation (increase in internal resistance) of individual cells causing an uncorrectable imbalance (where the ~100mA bleeder resistors don't have a chance of maintaining balance under normal use).

40 mV is HUGE. The most I ever see my 85 kWh is 6 mV at idle, usually 4 mV. Any idea why the BMS can't keep these 90 kWh packs balanced?

Failing is the wrong word. More like random, rapid, and extensive degradation (increase in internal resistance) of individual cells causing an uncorrectable imbalance (where the ~100mA bleeder resistors don't have a chance of maintaining balance under normal use).

Oh, so certain cells are degrading much faster than other ones in the brick. Weird.

That sounds like a quality control issue in the cell manufacturing process as opposed to an inherent flaw in the general cell chemistry.

Reactions: tskguy