TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla's are everywhere in Hong Kong!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by evanevery, Oct 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. evanevery

evanevery Member

Just a curious observation

I get to Hong Kong a couple of times a year. I got my Model X back in June so I haven't really been watching for other Tesla's until fairly recently.

However, I just got back from Hong Kong and the Model S is everywhere! You can look down any major road and see one or more of them at any time. I saw four cars at a light on a side street and it was Model S, Taxi, Model S, Model S. Its crazy!

Looks like our overseas brethren have it figured out. While, confoundingly, so many 'Mercans seem to hate anything EV, other countries are not so prejudiced. Its kind of ironic that the ONLY U.S. made car I saw in HK was the Tesla (and I did start looking for others), but our Nationalist compadres ("Buy American!") can't seem to embrace the fact that the brand is winning on a global scale even if many won't accept it as a personal option...

2. electricity

electricity Member

Not the right comparison I guess but down here in south florida I see at least 3-4 Teslas every day and we say hi to each other and everything :rolleyes:

3. rainforest

rainforest Member

4. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

Same thing in Norway except I think the tax is even higher than 100% there.
    The distances are also much smaller there which makes an EV a pretty easy choice.

5. evanevery

evanevery Member

That's very informative! Thanks! Really nice to see the roads loaded with EV's in any case!

Its also interesting that the makers of "Plug-In Hybrids" feel they are being discriminated against vs real/full EV's (re: tax break)... If they want a piece of the market/advantage, then they should make more/better EV's! Hard to feel sorry for them...

• Like x 1
  6. doublebo7

doublebo7 Member

Is that for all EV Cars? Would my used bmw i3 be of interest in HK?

7. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

there are currently tax exempt (or import tax) for EVs in Hong Kong, until like mid-2017. If it doesn't get extended, Tesla orders will dry up to near zero just like what happened to Denmark this year.

8. rainforest

rainforest Member

I'm in Canada, and there are zero incentives on Tesla. The government should help pay for my luxury car.

9. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

there are rebates for EV in the three biggest providence in Canada. It varies between location. But if you live in one of the big Canada cities, there are rebates for sure. Including Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City.

10. rainforest

rainforest Member

There are definitely no rebates in Vancouver. Where did you get that info?

11. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

12. rainforest

rainforest Member

Thanks, but as the link you provided shows, "To ensure the funds available for incentives go further and are available for more British Columbians purchasing lower-cost CEVs, the Province has established a vehicle price cap. Effective immediately, any CEV with a manufacturer suggested retail price above $77,000 will not be eligible for a purchase incentive from the CEV program."

Model 3 will be included, but not S or X. Thanks anyway!

13. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

Well that s_cks...