Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's are everywhere in Hong Kong!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a curious observation

I get to Hong Kong a couple of times a year. I got my Model X back in June so I haven't really been watching for other Tesla's until fairly recently.

However, I just got back from Hong Kong and the Model S is everywhere! You can look down any major road and see one or more of them at any time. I saw four cars at a light on a side street and it was Model S, Taxi, Model S, Model S. Its crazy!

Looks like our overseas brethren have it figured out. While, confoundingly, so many 'Mercans seem to hate anything EV, other countries are not so prejudiced. Its kind of ironic that the ONLY U.S. made car I saw in HK was the Tesla (and I did start looking for others), but our Nationalist compadres ("Buy American!") can't seem to embrace the fact that the brand is winning on a global scale even if many won't accept it as a personal option...

Evan, I'm from HK. The reason is because there is a major financial incentive in HK. Cars are taxed at almost 100% there, but Tesla's are given special tax free status in the former British colony. In other words, it's way cheaper to buy a Tesla there relative to other cars. More to it than it seems. See link.

Tesla has 80% market share of Hong Kong’s growing electric vehicle market, German automakers are not happy

That's very informative! Thanks! Really nice to see the roads loaded with EV's in any case!

Its also interesting that the makers of "Plug-In Hybrids" feel they are being discriminated against vs real/full EV's (re: tax break)... If they want a piece of the market/advantage, then they should make more/better EV's! Hard to feel sorry for them...

Reactions: HerrJones
Just a curious observation

I get to Hong Kong a couple of times a year. I got my Model X back in June so I haven't really been watching for other Tesla's until fairly recently.

However, I just got back from Hong Kong and the Model S is everywhere! You can look down any major road and see one or more of them at any time. I saw four cars at a light on a side street and it was Model S, Taxi, Model S, Model S. Its crazy!

Looks like our overseas brethren have it figured out. While, confoundingly, so many 'Mercans seem to hate anything EV, other countries are not so prejudiced. Its kind of ironic that the ONLY U.S. made car I saw in HK was the Tesla (and I did start looking for others), but our Nationalist compadres ("Buy American!") can't seem to embrace the fact that the brand is winning on a global scale even if many won't accept it as a personal option...
there are currently tax exempt (or import tax) for EVs in Hong Kong, until like mid-2017. If it doesn't get extended, Tesla orders will dry up to near zero just like what happened to Denmark this year.

Thanks, but as the link you provided shows, "To ensure the funds available for incentives go further and are available for more British Columbians purchasing lower-cost CEVs, the Province has established a vehicle price cap. Effective immediately, any CEV with a manufacturer suggested retail price above $77,000 will not be eligible for a purchase incentive from the CEV program."

Model 3 will be included, but not S or X. Thanks anyway!

Thanks, but as the link you provided shows, "To ensure the funds available for incentives go further and are available for more British Columbians purchasing lower-cost CEVs, the Province has established a vehicle price cap. Effective immediately, any CEV with a manufacturer suggested retail price above $77,000 will not be eligible for a purchase incentive from the CEV program."

Model 3 will be included, but not S or X. Thanks anyway!
Well that s_cks...