Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Calif. with no front plate: Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on my second M3. Purchased one in 2019, sold in 2021 and purchased another in Dec. 2021.

I have ALWAYS had the front plate on both cars and now considering taking the plate off.

In California one can get a ticket for no front plate

FOR THOSE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA RUNNING NO FRONT PLATE, HAVE YOU RECEIVED A TICKET??

None of my BMWs over the past 18 years had a front plate. I went without on my model 3 for its first 2.5 years, but then decided it would actually look better with a plate. The front looks too much like the cartoon "cars" to me, and the plate breaks it up a bit for me.

To answer the question, twice over the past 18 years I got tickets on my BMWs for having no front plate. Its very much a "where are you and where are you parking" type of thing though.

Reactions: puckpurnell
My plates are lowered vs the stock setup

Maybe I should leave things as they are and not worry about a ticket vs trying NOT to look like a senior citizen

IMG_3293.jpg

Starting to think I should not do it. The odds are, if there were 500 Tesla's in my small town, I would be the one getting the ticket

Im out here by you, and had my model 3 with no front plate for 2.5 years as I mentioned (im in temecula). With that being said, there is no guarantee, because it is the law we are supposed to have them. Its a fix it ticket if you get one, so its annoying but not too intolerable.

Very much dependent on where you live. The city where I work uses this and other minor infractions as a revenue stream. I’ve gotten multiple fix-it tickets over the years parking in a city-owned garage or on the street.

$110 to just pay the fine, $10 processing fee if corrected.

I'm on my second M3. Purchased one in 2019, sold in 2021 and purchased another in Dec. 2021.

I have ALWAYS had the front plate on both cars and now considering taking the plate off.

In California one can get a ticket for no front plate

FOR THOSE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA RUNNING NO FRONT PLATE, HAVE YOU RECEIVED A TICKET??
Lols. Just posted on this topic. Yup my wife just got the ticket this evening.

So if California requires front plates, why does Tesla NOT put proper front plate holders on its cars? Is it all aesthetics?
I'm in NJ where its required and everyone (just about) keeps front plates on their cars. Putting on the Tesla front frame with the double sided tape feels like its going to fall off when I hit a bump (it hasn't so far).

So if California requires front plates, why does Tesla NOT put proper front plate holders on its cars? Is it all aesthetics?
I'm in NJ where its required and everyone (just about) keeps front plates on their cars. Putting on the Tesla front frame with the double sided tape feels like its going to fall off when I hit a bump (it hasn't so far).
When I picked up my 2022 X at the factory there was a piece of paper in the car telling me the SC would install the front plate holder at no cost. So, my guess is Elon thinks the plate looks dumb. And I agree with that.