Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "Model X Update" Email on June 16, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone remember how long before production, signature owners were allowed to test drive a Model S? Model S first delivery was in July 2012. When did signature owners first get to test drive them?

I'm just wondering when we will finally get to see, feel, sit and drive a production Model X.

The first test drives, AFAIK, were at the Get Amped events, which first happened in June, 2012, just after the first cars were delivered. Before that, there were test rides (driven by Tesla employees) in beta vehicles. That was in October, 2011. But as far as production vehicles, I don't think anyone outside of Tesla got to see them before the first deliveries happened.

I still haven't received any email from Tesla... Maybe because they have to translate everything to Norwegian first?

Yes, I'm Norwegian, yes I read English, yes I use the roof rack (on my Passat) for skis and bicycles, yes, I have a trailer (that I pull with my Passat), yes I would like to replace the Passat with the Model X without having to sacrificing any of its usefulness. :rolleyes:

Har ikke fått mail.
Nice, likte will be produced starting in early 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for writing in wrong language on this forum.
I believing I was posting in the Norwegian forum.

I wrote - Have not got any mail, and since I am in Europa that is understandable. :)

And hope it will say will be produced starting in early 2015 on our letter when that arrives also. :)

sigurdi

It will be interesting to see how much the 3rd row option will cost. Having it as an option keeps their base cost down and they can show that the X is only "so and so pricier than the S" as a base model. Also, would they go the "dual chargers route" and offer the 3rd row as an option after you take delivery, but charge 3x as much to install as opposed to ordering them in your original order?

I'm not opposed to having it as an option for people to choose, that's the new wrinkle we can all chew on until its time to order. I can see the benefits of both. If they do plan to make the option significantly cheaper than if I decided to get it down the road (like the dual chargers) then I would get it as long as I could put the 3rd row down flat whenever I needed to and keep the 2nd row up (as opposed to only both down or both up).

Don't think the side cameras will make it into first year production. There has been no news on Musk getting this to fly yet with all the regulations set against it. Maybe some day, but its just too soon between now and when the first X's roll out...

still pumped tho!

Way to go Tesla (if your're reading this)! Thanks for the update and some confirmations of things. But I didn't get the email yet. :scared: - ah, its :cool:

Making the 3rd row optional should be good news to all, as if you don't need it you don't have to pay for it. I'll surely be getting it as it was one of the main reasons why I want the X. But if you're not going to be carrying more than 5 then why bother having them folded away & paid for.

Was also thinking about the 100-120 battery pack possibility as well. Would I go for it? I think my logic would be this: If the 85 would be enough to get a fully loaded X to the next Super Charger then why would we need more for most trips? (I think the 60 would be a stretch with a 20 minute charge).

Also the network will surely be much larger by delivery time. Hopefully us up north in Canada will be able to whiz around between our major cities in the west and central provinces (where most of the population lives anyway).

Waiting ever so patiently, thanks to bonnie, it does help to have a Tesla to drive in the meantime.

GO TESLA!

Paul

Can't help but wonder if they are making the third row optional to down play the loss of roof rack functionality, something like "for those wanting more storage, we are making the third row optional". on the other hand, since they are straight up saying they are combining sport utility functionality with sport car performance, I feel slightly optimistic. I don't see how they could say that with a straight face without offering a roof rack work around ... I would really like to hear how they are going to propose that, right about now.

I imagine that their roof rack "solution" will simply be to make the falcon-wing doors open as gull-wing (using only the outer hinge) when the roof rack is in place. But I'm looking forward to the official reveal of the final design as much as everyone!

Personally I rather a car be "optioned" out, so you can pay for what you need, but do like options packaged with a sort of buy a bunch get a discount. The counterpoint to this however is a company like Porsche where nearly everything becomes an option, and you can easily add 30 000 in options without blinking. I would not like to see Tesla do that, as it becomes ridiculous.

We're already there. My Model S has over $60K in options (or an additional 76% on the base cost). :scared:

I imagine that their roof rack "solution" will simply be to make the falcon-wing doors open as gull-wing (using only the outer hinge) when the roof rack is in place. But I'm looking forward to the official reveal of the final design as much as everyone!

That's not how the falcon wing door works. Nor is it how gullwing doors work. The primary hinge is on the roof of the car near the center. They doors open more up than out. The "falcon" portion is only a secondary hinge that reduces the horizontal clearance even more. It is not a method by which the door can be opened without the roof hinge. Trust me, I owned a DeLorean for 12+ years. I'm pretty familiar with the ins, outs, positives, and negatives of them. And I've seen the X in person. :)

That's not how the falcon wing door works. Nor is it how gullwing doors work. The primary hinge is on the roof of the car near the center. They doors open more up than out. The "falcon" portion is only a secondary hinge that reduces the horizontal clearance even more. It is not a method by which the door can be opened without the roof hinge. Trust me, I owned a DeLorean for 12+ years. I'm pretty familiar with the ins, outs, positives, and negatives of them. And I've seen the X in person. :)

Additionally, that secondary hinge is hinged in the opposite direction of the primary hinge. (When the primary hinge folds out, the secondary hinge folds in.) I suppose it's not impossible to make a hinge that would serve both functions, but my money is on a simpler solution.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but the facts that 1) in 40+ years of driving, I've only seen a handful of vehicles land on their respective roofs, and 2) the Model X, like all vehicles, will need to pass safety testing leaves me wondering why this is of concern.

For those that are wondering about the optional third row, Tesla is focusing on the Euros as opposed to the Americans so this will be similar to the Audi Q7 and the bmw x5 where the third row is an option,

As is everything else lol.