Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's paint repair results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whos had any post delivery paint repair done by Tesla?
What did they do, was it worth it?

I desperate to put Paint Protection on my new M3, but the best service appointment I could get was November!
I'd prefer not to arrange my own paint repair just so my Detailer can do his job properly ...

Attachments

• Tesla4.jpg
    Tesla4.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 146
Whos had any post delivery paint repair done by Tesla?
What did they do, was it worth it?

I desperate to put Paint Protection on my new M3, but the best service appointment I could get was November!
I'd prefer not to arrange my own paint repair just so my Detailer can do his job properly ...
A group of us are discussing options in TeslaWA slack and are probably going with Opticoat in October.

Reactions: jaymo89
My car at delivery looked like it had gotten into a fight and lost badly. SOOOO many scratches dents and large undercarriage damage.
I was just given a list of panel beaters and asked to arrange it myself. Wasn’t even provided with a loan vehicle and when I asked for one they told me to ask the panel beaters...who want $60/day for it!!!

Tesla it’s one thing to give people damaged vehicles at delivery but to give zero f&cks afterwards and tell them to go sort it out themselves is inexcusable.

My car at delivery looked like it had gotten into a fight and lost badly. SOOOO many scratches dents and large undercarriage damage.
I was just given a list of panel beaters and asked to arrange it myself. Wasn’t even provided with a loan vehicle and when I asked for one they told me to ask the panel beaters...who want $60/day for it!!!

Tesla it’s one thing to give people damaged vehicles at delivery but to give zero f&cks afterwards and tell them to go sort it out themselves is inexcusable.
You shouldn't have to deal with the panel shop. Tesla sold you the vehicle and providing they acknowledged the damage prior to you accepting delivery (or a reasonable time thereafter) I would insist that they deal with the problem and give you back the car in a reasonable condition as new. Whilst they probably don't have to supply a loan vehicle, if one is available then I would insist (nicely).

• Love
Reactions: djayz and Anubis
You shouldn't have to deal with the panel shop. Tesla sold you the vehicle and providing they acknowledged the damage prior to you accepting delivery (or a reasonable time thereafter) I would insist that they deal with the problem and give you back the car in a reasonable condition as new. Whilst they probably don't have to supply a loan vehicle, if one is available then I would insist (nicely).

They documented all the defects I pointed out (took the entire delivery time slot!). But they palmed me A4 paper with the list of panel beaters and told me to arrange myself. I even went back to Tesla in Richmond the next day to complain about it but once again I was given the “we don’t do that here please contact the panel beater” and gave ZERO care about organising anything for me. Their attitude was pathetic.

They documented all the defects I pointed out (took the entire delivery time slot!). But they palmed me A4 paper with the list of panel beaters and told me to arrange myself. I even went back to Tesla in Richmond the next day to complain about it but once again I was given the “we don’t do that here please contact the panel beater” and gave ZERO care about organising anything for me. Their attitude was pathetic.
My view but DYOR: Tell them you have a contract with them, not the Panel Beater. They are legally liable so you can push the point (they fix, give you a new car, give you your money back, give you a loan car etc) or suck it up and do what they want you to do. If they fob you off and you still want to push it, give them the choices in writing and tell them that time is of the essence and you reserve your right to claim further costs and losses if it has to go further.

Wasn’t even provided with a loan vehicle
Oh dear. I had read some of your posts, and this is just unbelievable.
You bought a new car, not a second hand one with pre-existing damages. No way in the world this should be happening. If Tesla can’t or is not willing to give you another car they should at the very least arrange for the car to be fixed, and give you a free loan car while you are without your car. Pathetic really.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it might be useful for those of us who are still waiting for our cars. Hope you have it sorted soon.

• Funny
Reactions: raynewman
@djayz wouldn't have photos of the damage would you? Why would Tesla send you to a panel beater for damage underneath (( I assume you mean the battery cover)?

Something sound very odd about that whole experience to me, why on earth did you accept delivery? You had the right to refuse.....

@djayz wouldn't have photos of the damage would you? Why would Tesla send you to a panel beater for damage underneath (( I assume you mean the battery cover)?

Something sound very odd about that whole experience to me, why on earth did you accept delivery? You had the right to refuse.....

I sadly read a post on the forums that said that if you refuse delivery they will force you to cancel your order and then you are not allowed to re order the same specification for 12 months. In hindsight that advice was probably total bullshit but it set an expectation in my head when I went in for the delivery.

Here are some of the photos. This doesn't include everything, there are some dents etc I didn't attach to this

163211ED-BD17-4583-8612-6F8D07389A6A.jpeg
06AA3036-BC20-414B-A015-026F080EEC54.jpeg
3E4839E2-1F99-4CF0-8A6D-BEECB2B2EBC5.jpeg
12C5206C-3AFA-4E10-ABA1-B37A5AC9CD76.jpeg
C960CF3D-B08C-44B6-A03E-DD9C2F9D7C23.jpeg
69B1C3C3-ACBF-48B3-B2CD-A69BA53C5340.jpeg
CEC93D51-7529-4678-8D56-7929759E3BA1.jpeg
163211ED-BD17-4583-8612-6F8D07389A6A.jpeg
06AA3036-BC20-414B-A015-026F080EEC54.jpeg
3E4839E2-1F99-4CF0-8A6D-BEECB2B2EBC5.jpeg
12C5206C-3AFA-4E10-ABA1-B37A5AC9CD76.jpeg
C960CF3D-B08C-44B6-A03E-DD9C2F9D7C23.jpeg
69B1C3C3-ACBF-48B3-B2CD-A69BA53C5340.jpeg
CEC93D51-7529-4678-8D56-7929759E3BA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Warranty claims must be handled by the seller and cannot by Law fob you off to another party. You could always exercise your consumer right to choose a full refund

Reactions: rohan_aus
Warranty claims must be handled by the seller and cannot by Law fob you off to another party. You could always exercise your consumer right to choose a full refund

I am actually seeing the panel beaters tomorrow and depending what I hear from them I may go back to Tesla in the afternoon and cause a scene. The last time I went there (12 hours after I picked up the car) they fobbed me off.

@djayz that is not acceptable! Why should you be penalised (waiting 12 months to re-order etc. if you refused delivery) and now you will have a car with repairs with what should be a new car? I understand maybe a small mark here or there but the extend on your car is NOT on...I would demand money back or at the least hand them the keys and demand another car to drive whilst they have your car fixed...period.

I have 2x Tesla's and another on the way...you HAVE to stand your ground and exercise your consumer rights whilst at the same time being polite....

I am actually seeing the panel beaters tomorrow and depending what I hear from them I may go back to Tesla in the afternoon and cause a scene. The last time I went there (12 hours after I picked up the car) they fobbed me off.

I personally had my model 3 delivered with defects in Brisbane all have been logged with tesla and even some after delivery but they have been great in getting an appointed body shop to contact me.

I think how it's handled comes down to who works there at the service center.

Huh?! You guys are saying you're being referred to Panel Beaters, but is the inference that Tesla will cover the cost of that (warranty) repair (you pay, they refund?) ... or they are saying its all your own cost?

Tesla will pay for the repairs but somehow people think that makes it all alright.

Personally mine will need half the car resprayed, windscreen replaced and both sides of the undercarriage replaced. Body shop also quoted me $60/day for a loaner car (will need it for at least 2-3 weeks) and he’s not sure Tesla will agree to pay for it.

I’ve drank litres of the Tesla kool aid for years but there is no way in hell that a $100k car should be delivered to a customer in that state, the customer be told to go arrange the body shop themselves, have half of their car resprayed and many parts replaced (and watch their resale value take a hit), lose access to their car for several weeks and potentially even have to pay for the hire car....that is UNACCEPTABLE in any language

• Funny
Reactions: raynewman
Tesla will pay for the repairs but somehow people think that makes it all alright.

Personally mine will need half the car resprayed, windscreen replaced and both sides of the undercarriage replaced. Body shop also quoted me $60/day for a loaner car (will need it for at least 2-3 weeks) and he’s not sure Tesla will agree to pay for it.

I’ve drank litres of the Tesla kool aid for years but there is no way in hell that a $100k car should be delivered to a customer in that state, the customer be told to go arrange the body shop themselves, have half of their car resprayed and many parts replaced (and watch their resale value take a hit), lose access to their car for several weeks and potentially even have to pay for the hire car....that is UNACCEPTABLE in any language
Mate don't put up with it,I've had two Tesla both been delivered with issues you have right's as a consumer use them.

Reactions: paulp
That is freaking hopeless from Tesla.
I suspect when Musk hears there will be big changes, but that doesn't help you!
All the best sorting it out

So, djayz, how has it gone with this issue since a month ago? Any joy?