Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's reason for not adding spare tires, doesn't make sense.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
about 1/3 of cars on offer don't have spares and that will only grow.
and that list of ev's with spare tires - most are legacy ice chassis and/or trucks and, in the case of the Hummer, garbage vaporware though yes it has a spare.
All the mainstream ev's don't have them though yes, I wish tesla did.

Speaking about spare tires, a lot of manufacturers still include spare tires. My wife’s Audi and my Mercedes has spares and both are not old vehicles. My Tesla does not. I’m sure many others have it as well. Well at least I hope manufacturers haven’t done away with spares.
Spare tires are not standard on Audi- it's optional on the Q7. They used to have compact spares on the A4 line but not sure if they still do.
Q5 isn't covered with spare, maybe optional.

BMW covers it with fix a flat and runflat tires. Most don't have spare tires. Maybe some suv models as an option.
Not familar with Merc but they usually follow the other Germans.

I was just reading Audi did stop putting spares four years ago, at least on the Q5 models which my wife drives. But hers has the spare under the sub. Sad, cost cutting has come down to cutting features actually needed.

Last edited:
I was just reading Audi did stop putting spares four years ago, at least on the Q5 models which my wife drives. But hers has the spare under the sub. Sad, cost cutting has come down to cutting features actually needed.
Tires are much more reliable than they used to be.
I don’t bemoan the fact that manufacturers no longer include cassette tape players. If I want one I will buy one.
If I want a full sized spare, or a donut spare, I will buy one.

Personally, I haven’t needed a spare in 35 years.
I have had a couple of slow leaks over the years, but those didn’t require a spare.

I appreciate Tesla NOT having cargo space molded to fit a spare as it becomes pretty much useless for anything else.

I ask if flats are less common now. Here is the answer from ChatGPT. This is the same AI that pass the bar test and US licensing medical exam. So it’s pretty knowledgeable.

“Flat tires are not necessarily less common now compared to 10 years ago. While advancements have been made in tire technology, such as improved puncture resistance and stronger materials, flat tires can still occur due to various reasons. Factors like road conditions, tire maintenance, and driving habits can all influence the likelihood of experiencing a flat tire. It’s always advisable to take proper care of your tires, including regular inspections and maintaining proper inflation levels, to help minimize the risk of a flat tire.”

Last edited:
Flat tires are not necessarily less common now
Arti does not seem confident. Maybe because it can't see the data because there is a lot more opinion on the internet.
advancements have been made
Arti doesn't know the answer but eludes to one (less flat tires) for the obvious fact that technology has advanced.
flat tires can still occur due to various reasons.
Arti does not understand the simple question hence the word diarrhea.
It’s always advisable to take proper care of your tires,
Again, Arti can't focus.

Also, Arti doesn't know anything newer than 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: SalisburySam
...sigh...it still comes down to location, location, location...
Correct. If for example, you are one of those individuals that likes to hop in the emergency lane to bypass heavy traffic, your tires may just find objects to puncture them faster than others. Then you have folks who drives thru potholes like they aren't there. Low profile vs having more of a cushion also make s a difference.

I've had my butt saved by having a spare enough times in the last 10 years that I had a donut here waiting before the car arrived. Cut down the foam and installed it under the trunk yesterday afternoon. There's a very slight bulge (~1in) but it's practically invisible with the cargo mat in. Got jacks, lug wrench, jack pucks, compressor, etc all in place.

I'll take a tiny range hit to have all my stuff with me.

I had a family member just get a screw in the side of the tire. 2 PSI leak per hour. Car told her, she queued up Roadside while at work.
Mobile repair came and installed a loaner within 30 mins. Put her bad one in her trunk.
Came back the next morning to fix/replace tire - turns out its too far on the edge so its a new tire.
Did that on the spot.

I just keep a repair kit/compressor in mine, but none of my prior cars since 2008. I've thought a couple times about it on a road trip with a 12V jack for those no-cell areas, but I also have similar chance hitting an animal and being left on the side of the road with coolant leaking out. Game of chances and you don't get to choose the issue.

Reminds me of airlines, keeps reducing seat size because most don’t notice it. Now some even charge you to select a seat, it used to be free to select your own seat. some airlines even want to start charging base on passenger weight and size. With Business, money is always king.

Reminds me of airlines, keeps reducing seat size because most don’t notice it. Now some even charge you to select a seat, it used to be free to select your own seat. some airlines even want to start charging base on passenger weight and size. With Business, money is always king.

thank unions - both employee and business ones

Hard core competition is the only one on guard of consumer experience