Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaXCanada - One Wild Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody.

We are Silke, Rolf and Kye "wuff".

We are on our trip across Canada from Victoria to St. John's Newfoundland with our Model X towing a camping trailer. We will be posting here about our experiences, or provide links to our videos and blog posts.

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 17.02.34 .png

I have been following your videos and blogs. You are pioneers. The geeks here would really like to see your driving stats collected in boring tabular form; it would be a great planning tool for those who follow your example.

Reactions: GSP
Hi everybody.

We are Silke, Rolf and Kye "wuff".

We are on our trip across Canada from Victoria to St. John's Newfoundland with our Model X towing a camping trailer. We will be posting here about our experiences, or provide links to our videos and blog posts.

View attachment 184983
Wonderful..would love to hear about your trip. We were in Victoria last week with our X, we could have met if I knew.

Hi Silke, Rolf, and Kye!

I have been enjoying your website ever since seeing you in the Victoria Day parade. I am hoping you might have some sort of "TeslaXCanada - There & Back Again" event for sharing some of the trip stories once you're home. :)

Thank you for your extensive real-world data collecting. My family has been closely following your adventures and it has made us lustful after the X / Alto combo for ourselves. It helped to convince us to take the plunge and order our Model X now (you should see an extra referral), partly because our current car can't tow the Alto, and we need to upgrade from our T@B since our family grew. Does Safari Condo take referrals? We haven't ordered yet but we probably need to put down the deposit soon because there's a year+ wait right now!

I was wondering if you got the built-in camper mover, which I think would make super-charging logistics easier in case you need to unhitch to charge. And it seems we'll need a lot more SC stops while towing. Are there any other options that you think are must-haves?

We'd love to make it to one of your meetups when you come East, but if we can't make it we'll be following you vicariously.

Jessica in Boston

Thank you for your extensive real-world data collecting. My family has been closely following your adventures and it has made us lustful after the X / Alto combo for ourselves. It helped to convince us to take the plunge and order our Model X now (you should see an extra referral), partly because our current car can't tow the Alto, and we need to upgrade from our T@B since our family grew. Does Safari Condo take referrals? We haven't ordered yet but we probably need to put down the deposit soon because there's a year+ wait right now!

I was wondering if you got the built-in camper mover, which I think would make super-charging logistics easier in case you need to unhitch to charge. And it seems we'll need a lot more SC stops while towing. Are there any other options that you think are must-haves?

We'd love to make it to one of your meetups when you come East, but if we can't make it we'll be following you vicariously.

Jessica in Boston

Hi Jessica

Thanks for using our referral code and congratulations for taking the leap to the MX. Yes, Safari Condo takes referrals. We will ask them for details. We will visit the factory next months. Any questions you want us to ask? I know that they have quite a back log. It will take about 1 year to build your Alto.

IMG_9260.jpeg

We did not get the mover. Extra weight in the front and extra cost. The camper is fairly light. If you have to move the camper on soft surface, then it helps to have one person stand on the aft bumper to reduce to load on the hitch wheel to nearly zero. I also put a swicth on the battery box, connected to the electrical brake cable inside the camper. With that I can apply the electric brakes, so the camper can not run away on me.

For charging the MX, we just look for a large enough parking space nearby, and drop the camper off. It takes about one minute. I do not use weight distribution bars. Not required if you do not load the front too heavy. I made a wooden pedestal and removed the wheel from the hitch lift mechanism. The bare hitch lift post then drops into a shallow hole in the wood block. That way the camper sits safely on a nearly flat surface in a parking lot, without to having to put blocks under the wheels. Also, you do not have to crank the handle that long for lifting and lowering the hitch. I made the wood block such that when the trailer is attached to the MX, and the hitch lift pole is in the up position, there is about a 3" gap to the top of the wood.

IMG_9261.jpeg

I also made these simple wooden wheel chocks. You may have seen similar ones on airports to planes from moving. The string is great to yank the chock away from the wheel if there is some pressure on it.

We would love to meet with you. Depending on timing we will go down to the New England states for indian summer.

We are looking forward to get some data with SuperChargers. Until now we charged 80% of the time in campgrounds. Some days we do a little top-up charge around lunch with 40-70A at 200-240V. But that means charging at 1/3 of the speed of using it. Going slower, definitely makes you arrive earlier if you need to top up, unless you have a Supercharger or CHAdeMO.

We will try to exchange our 2-way (propane/AC) fridge for a 12V compressor fridge. Currently we still run the fridge on Propane while on the road. I tried running the fridge off the inverter at 120V, but it is really wasteful on energy in AC mode. With this change we would be almost completly carbon-free. We used the propane heater on two nights so far. We also have the heat-pump air-con/heater, but the fan of that is very loud. The propane heater fan can be set to low and you can barely hear that.

So long

Rolf, Silke and Kye

I saw you drive by near Kenora, Ontario - great to see your progress and enjoy the trip.

Yep. Kenora, about 1 week ago. Sadly the Sun Country charger at the Clarion does not work, and the new owners do not really care. I talked with the Sun Country technician and opened it up. Looks like the motherboard is broken. Nothing I could do. Thwre is a chance it gets realocated to the solar company on the edge of town toward the east. Sun Country may provide me with a few of those motherboards, so I can exchange them. We check all of thwe charge points out along our route, even if we do not require a charge. We just plug in and record the voltage and amps, and update Plugshare. We also talk to the front desk/management and thank them for providing the chargers. We also ask if we can charge if we do not stay there, and record that in Plugshare. So far only one bad experience with that.

Found a broken HPWC 100A on the way south from Kenora at Beaver Motel in Nipigon. Got the manager out and trouble shoot with me. I called Tesla support. They are going to send the Motel a new HPWC to them. They were really happy I sorted that out for them

You could have said hi. Just signal us to stop.

I have been following your videos and blogs. You are pioneers. The geeks here would really like to see your driving stats collected in boring tabular form; it would be a great planning tool for those who follow your example.

Busy, busy. Way behind on videos.

Listen to the TalkingTesla podcast. We are reporting some numbers there. I assume that they will put our recording into number 44.

Hi Silke and Rolf,
I'm trying to get a better sense of what the range on the Model X is with a trailer. One your website, it appears like there''s conflicting info:

Without the trailer, the Tesla Model X 90D can go up to just over 400km on a full charge at highway speeds and air-conditioning on. With the trailer, our experience has been as follows:
  • 250km/ 155mi at 70km/ 45mi/h
  • 210km/130mi at 80km/ 50mi/h
  • 180km /110mi at 90km/ 55mi/h
Here are some more numbers regarding the towing range, so all numbers are WITH the trailer – In heavy rain and with 20-40km/h headwind (conditions not consistent!):
  • 60km/h – 380Wh/km
  • 70km/h – 420Wh/km
  • 80km/h – 460Wh/km
  • 90km/h – 520Wh/km
I boldfaced an example. At 90km/hr (55m/hr) speed, you say that you get 180km (110m) range. But then you say at 90km/h (55mi/hr), your energy usage is 520Wh/km. At 520Wh/km and with a 90kWh battery, doesn't that make your range about 173 miles?

At 520Wh/km and with a 90kWh battery, doesn't that make your range about 173 miles?
Dave, that would be 173km, not miles. So about 107 miles. But part of the 90kWh battery is reserved, plus there are efficiency losses in the drivetrain, so in reality I would think it would be less than 107.

Note that the first set of numbers you posted are apparently a typical average, while the second set of numbers are "in heavy rain and with headwind".

The issue of real world range when towing with a Tesla is a critical one. My wife and I are seriously looking at buying one of these Safari Condo to use with our future Model 3, but I am concerned that the towing range will be so limited that it won't be practical.