Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m picking up my MY this Thursday and it has the tow hitch! I also counted several other recent deliveries with tow hitches on the Tesla MY spreadsheet…

Yes my suggestion was to a reservation holder waiting for a Performance model with a hitch. LR-AWD’s are shipping with the hitch but for some reason Performance models are not.

Congrats and enjoy the new ride!

Reactions: Jamezam
Just got my new blue Model Y Nov 28, with a VIN number in the 80,xxx. Got the double pane window, auto dimming mirror, metal scroll button on steering wheel, and storage device in glove compartment with a 64G Tesla USB stick. The center console is still piano gloss black. I have the wrap for it already.

Finger print is showing up easily on the car. I am not planning to wrap the car with PPF or do ceramic coating. Is there any wax or car product that will help with the finger prints?

There have been but not MYPs with a tow hitch. I’m stuck in the same boat :’( here’s to all of us getting good news soon!

Oh I see, my bad, did not pay attention that it is an MYP no just an MY. Maybe, because you're ordering any MYP it has something to do with them being the performance model? They don't want you ripping out your hitch with all the performance power? LOL

Just got my new blue Model Y Nov 28, with a VIN number in the 80,xxx. Got the double pane window, auto dimming mirror, metal scroll button on steering wheel, and storage device in glove compartment with a 64G Tesla USB stick. The center console is still piano gloss black. I have the wrap for it already.

Finger print is showing up easily on the car. I am not planning to wrap the car with PPF or do ceramic coating. Is there any wax or car product that will help with the finger prints?

I purchased A LOT of aftermarket items for my MY in August, before I canceled my original MY order, so I have a carbon fiber wrap already for the center console. I wanted the laminated windows, auto-dimming mirrors, metal scroll buttons, and USB in the glove compartment. However, I didn't want Tesla to change the center console yet, because I already purchased a wrap...

Isn't that silly. LOL I'm buying a $70k Tesla, but please don't change the center console, so my pre-purchased wrap can be used. Humans...

After doing a lot of research, I ended up buying some Wolfgang Concours Series WG-5500 Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, 16 fl. oz. from Amazon. Somewhere, in my research, they stated that a sealant is much better than a wax or paste. I applied it to my partner's M3 and it is amazing. Her M3 stays cleaner, longer, it acts somewhat like a ceramic coasting, and it only needs to be applied every six-months I think...

71YnuNhkQXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Still not a single MYP with Tow hitch for over 30k VINs now. Getting tired of the wait.

One option:

Remove the hitch from the order, receive the car, have the service center install the hitch.

You might call the local service center and ask them if they install the tow hitch on ones ordered with it. I would not be surprised if that is the case. If so then removing the hitch from the order would not help. Also, changing your order could move your place in line waiting for a vin too.

I obviously can't say for sure with Tesla but with traditional dealers options like that are often installed by the local service dept rather than at the factory. It simplifies production lines at the factory to not have to worry about things like that and speeds up production overall.

• Helpful
Reactions: Modulus1
I talked to my SA yesterday about the 69XXX I was matched to last week. He said the build date is 11/7, so laminated windows, but definitely no dimming mirrors or glovebox USB port.

He let me know that the vehicle was originally intended for another customer at a suburban location in the region, but sat there for three days before being released back into the wild and matched to me, which probably means that customer failed to pick it up...but it’s possible that the customer rejected it at delivery, and it didn’t go back into the system right away.

His advice was, if I’m concerned about spending the next three years feeling FOMO over the missing new features, I should have him release the VIN and wait for a new match, but if I’m okay with the features but worried that the last gut rejected it at delivery, I should wait until my 12/3 pickup and check it very thoroughly and reject it if necessary. When I said “that sounds great, I’ll keep this VIN”, he advised me to hold off on making a decision on the spot, sleep on it, and text him the next day.

I’m really hoping it’s in great condition because, honestly, I’d be 100% happy to take this bad boy home. I’m also a big fan of this SA for being so straight-up with me.

Felipe the awesome SA continues to be awesome - he called me just now to let me know my car (69XXX) arrived early, he inspected it, found paint scuffs and alignment issues, sent it to the body shop, and unmatched me from that VIN. I told him he absolutely made the right decision. He he'll call me once I'm rematched to let me know the build date so I can decide if I want to move forward or hold out for a different one.

Back to waiting!

Reactions: Jamezam
Felipe the awesome SA continues to be awesome - he called me just now to let me know my car (69XXX) arrived early, he inspected it, found paint scuffs and alignment issues, sent it to the body shop, and unmatched me from that VIN. I told him he absolutely made the right decision. He he'll call me once I'm rematched to let me know the build date so I can decide if I want to move forward or hold out for a different one.

Back to waiting!

Dear Elon, please model all SA’s after Felipe!

Whats up with performance models taking so long to be made. You would think the higher price will help their quotas.
Fewer orders for it. Plus for several weeks they took the ETA for performance order fulfillment off the website entirely. We don't have any idea why. My guess is they are focusing on LR AWD at the moment because that's what they are receiving the most orders for. It's kind of a no win situation for them. They are going to make one group or buyers unhappy with a long wait no matter what they do. Until they get another MY production line up at another factory, they can only increase capacity at a single location so much.

Still not a single MYP with Tow hitch for over 30k VINs now. Getting tired of the wait.

One option: Remove the hitch from the order, receive the car, have the service center install the hitch.

You might call the local service center and ask them if they install the tow hitch on ones ordered with it. I would not be surprised if that is the case. If so then removing the hitch from the order would not help. Also, changing your order could move your place in line waiting for a vin too.

I obviously can't say for sure with Tesla but with traditional dealers options like that are often installed by the local service dept rather than at the factory. It simplifies production lines at the factory to not have to worry about things like that and speeds up production overall.

I emailed my advisor to ask if the hitch is installed at the factory or service center and this is what he said:

Model Ys ordered with the tow hitch have it installed at the factory. The process is still the same regardless of when it is installed though.​

I emailed my advisor to ask if the hitch is installed at the factory or service center and this is what he said:

Model Ys ordered with the tow hitch have it installed at the factory. The process is still the same regardless of when it is installed though.​

The confusion comes from the beginning with the Model Y. When they first started offering the hitch, yes, the service center would install it AFTER you take delivery. However, I believe it was late July (give or take) when this changed, now the hitch is installed at the factory. However, if you purchased a Y without a hitch, you can have a service center install one.