Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesplus CCS 1 Charger Adapter for Tesla not working for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont think 2021 Model 3s came CCS enabled, but before you buy anything else CCS related you need to check like is said in post #6.
My recollection is that Tesla began adding CCS protocol compatibility in October of 2020; however, there were one or two stretches after that when the necessary chip was removed from the configuration because of parts shortages. There are actually at least three configurations, which are identified by the charge port ECU part number:
  • Gen3 ECU -- This is the pre-October 2020 configuration, and is not CCS compatible. Upgrading it can be done in a hackish way, but IMHO it's better to wait for Tesla's official upgrade at this point.
  • Gen4 "full" ECU (1537264-00-B) -- This is the configuration that supports CCS.
  • Gen4 "stripped" ECU (1537264-80-B) -- This configuration uses hardware that's similar to the preceding one, but the ECU lacks the chip required for CCS communications. Upgrading it requires swapping out the "lobotomized" 1537264-80-B ECU for a 1537264-80-B ECU.
I would expect most model year 2021 Model 3s to have Gen4 hardware. I'm not sure exactly when Tesla started calling vehicles "2021" model years; if it was for production prior to October of 2020, then a few might still have Gen3 hardware. Even after that date, though, some Gen4 vehicles lack CCS compatibility because they've got the stripped ECU. If you've got such a car, @Mario Veras, then the good news is that the upgrade is simple: Pull the 1537264-80-B ECU and replace it with a 1537264-80-B ECU. (Refreshing the car's firmware will also be required. This is discussed in the thread, and should be even easier today, since Tesla has reportedly stopped geo-fencing Service Mode.) Chances are this is all Tesla will do if you have them perform the upgrade. If your hardware is of the older Gen3 variety, then the only upgrade path that's available right now involves doing an ECU swap and adding a reverse-engineered adapter, known as a "bundle of wires." This works, but it's not a Tesla-approved approach, and there may be unintended or unexpected negative consequences that aren't well-understood. Chances are that Tesla's approach for the official Gen3 update will be to add another variant of the Gen4 ECU, so that the car's main computer can correctly identify it and operate appropriately. If you try a DIY upgrade from either Gen3 or "stripped" Gen4 hardware, the biggest challenge seems to be obtaining the 1537264-00-B ECU. A year ago, Tesla would happily sell you one; but once the DIY upgrade started to get popular, Tesla started making it harder for ordinary people to buy them. You might luck out at a friendly service center, or be able to buy one at grossly inflated price on eBay; but the last I heard, they were hard to obtain at a reasonable price.

This thread covers all of this in detail; however, be aware that most of the thread discusses trial-and-error efforts to figure it all out, so it's tedious reading with a lot of false starts. The first post has been kept up-to-date, at least until the thread was closed. If you're interested, @Mario Veras (or anybody else), I recommend reading the first post and then skipping ahead to the last page or two of posts. Be aware that the thread was closed in July of 2022, so it's missing any discussion of more recent developments.

Personally I would not do this mod on my own. I would worry about messing it up and voiding the warranty.

If Tesla has the parts and the service center can do the upgrade, then yes it would be nice to have.

As they say Your Mileage May Vary.
I completely agree. I will look into having the Tesla SC do the work. While I’m very handy with electronics, and repairing and installations, I’m not comfortable with the software side of things since you have to update the firmware and put the car in service mode. Also, I don’t want to run the risk of voiding the warranty.

Reactions: KJD
My recollection is that Tesla began adding CCS protocol compatibility in October of 2020; however, there were one or two stretches after that when the necessary chip was removed from the configuration because of parts shortages. There are actually at least three configurations, which are identified by the charge port ECU part number:
  • Gen3 ECU -- This is the pre-October 2020 configuration, and is not CCS compatible. Upgrading it can be done in a hackish way, but IMHO it's better to wait for Tesla's official upgrade at this point.
  • Gen4 "full" ECU (1537264-00-B) -- This is the configuration that supports CCS.
  • Gen4 "stripped" ECU (1537264-80-B) -- This configuration uses hardware that's similar to the preceding one, but the ECU lacks the chip required for CCS communications. Upgrading it requires swapping out the "lobotomized" 1537264-80-B ECU for a 1537264-80-B ECU.
I would expect most model year 2021 Model 3s to have Gen4 hardware. I'm not sure exactly when Tesla started calling vehicles "2021" model years; if it was for production prior to October of 2020, then a few might still have Gen3 hardware. Even after that date, though, some Gen4 vehicles lack CCS compatibility because they've got the stripped ECU. If you've got such a car, @Mario Veras, then the good news is that the upgrade is simple: Pull the 1537264-80-B ECU and replace it with a 1537264-80-B ECU. (Refreshing the car's firmware will also be required. This is discussed in the thread, and should be even easier today, since Tesla has reportedly stopped geo-fencing Service Mode.) Chances are this is all Tesla will do if you have them perform the upgrade. If your hardware is of the older Gen3 variety, then the only upgrade path that's available right now involves doing an ECU swap and adding a reverse-engineered adapter, known as a "bundle of wires." This works, but it's not a Tesla-approved approach, and there may be unintended or unexpected negative consequences that aren't well-understood. Chances are that Tesla's approach for the official Gen3 update will be to add another variant of the Gen4 ECU, so that the car's main computer can correctly identify it and operate appropriately. If you try a DIY upgrade from either Gen3 or "stripped" Gen4 hardware, the biggest challenge seems to be obtaining the 1537264-00-B ECU. A year ago, Tesla would happily sell you one; but once the DIY upgrade started to get popular, Tesla started making it harder for ordinary people to buy them. You might luck out at a friendly service center, or be able to buy one at grossly inflated price on eBay; but the last I heard, they were hard to obtain at a reasonable price.

This thread covers all of this in detail; however, be aware that most of the thread discusses trial-and-error efforts to figure it all out, so it's tedious reading with a lot of false starts. The first post has been kept up-to-date, at least until the thread was closed. If you're interested, @Mario Veras (or anybody else), I recommend reading the first post and then skipping ahead to the last page or two of posts. Be aware that the thread was closed in July of 2022, so it's missing any discussion of more recent developments.
I appreciate the lengthy explanation. From everything I’ve read, I’m pretty sure I have a stripped Gen4 hardware. So I’m thinking of taking it to a Tesla SC and ask them to do the work.

Technically they said early 2023. At least to check for it then.
FWIW, the current phrasing in the Tesla app (for Android) is:
Appointments for the CCS Combo 1 Adapter retrofit are currently unavailable. Check back in early 2023 for availability.
That gives them even more wiggle room:
  • "Early" 2023 is vague. Personally, I'd consider that the first four months or so, based on an early/middle/late separation; but it could be the first six months, based on an early/late separation, or even later, based on a separation of "whenever we say it is."
  • There's no explicit promise of actual availability in early 2023, just advice to "check back" in early 2023.
  • There isn't even an explicit promise that more information will be available in 2023, just that people should check for it then.
That said, it will be disappointing and a little surprising if the upgrade isn't available by June or thereabouts. After all, the only hardware required is a new circuit board, which will be close to identical to current parts -- or 100% identical, in the case of those who have cars made after October of 2020 with the "stripped" Gen4 part. If it's not available soon, then that suggests either that it's taken a very low priority for Tesla or that there are still supply problems for the relevant chips.

Reactions: MP3Mike
FWIW, the current phrasing in the Tesla app (for Android) is:

That gives them even more wiggle room:
  • "Early" 2023 is vague. Personally, I'd consider that the first four months or so, based on an early/middle/late separation; but it could be the first six months, based on an early/late separation, or even later, based on a separation of "whenever we say it is."
  • There's no explicit promise of actual availability in early 2023, just advice to "check back" in early 2023.
  • There isn't even an explicit promise that more information will be available in 2023, just that people should check for it then.
That said, it will be disappointing and a little surprising if the upgrade isn't available by June or thereabouts. After all, the only hardware required is a new circuit board, which will be close to identical to current parts -- or 100% identical, in the case of those who have cars made after October of 2020 with the "stripped" Gen4 part. If it's not available soon, then that suggests either that it's taken a very low priority for Tesla or that there are still supply problems for the relevant chips.
I made an appointment with my local Tesla SC and they responded that the “CCS retrofit is not yet available due to parts constraints, we will notify you via the app when eligible to schedule.”

So they cancelled my appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD