Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive of a petrol car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Having heard so much good about petrol cars, we decided to test drive one. They are said to combine cheap price with long range and fast charging. A winning formula on paper – but how are they in real life?

We sat us in the loaner car at the car salesman’s office. Automakers do not sell the cars themselves, only through independent car repair shops as middlemen. It may sound like a bad omen to buy the car from a car repair shop that you want to visit as seldom as possible. But you apparently can’t buy the car directly from the manufacturer, so you must go through such intermediaries. The seller was very “pushy” and tried to convince us to buy the car very forcibly, but the experience is perhaps better elsewhere.

So we sat in the car and pressed the START button. The car’s gasoline engine coughed to life and started to operate. One could hear the engine’s sound and the car’s whole body vibrated as if something was broken, but the seller assured us that everything was as it should. The car actually has an electric motor and a microscopically small battery, but they are only used to start the petrol engine – the electric motor does not drive the wheels. The petrol engine then uses a tank full of gasoline, a fossil liquid, to propel the car by exploding small drops of it. It is apparently the small explosions that you hear and feel when the engine is running.

The car repair shop salesman reassured us that the flammable petrol gasoline beneath our seats was completely safe and would only typically leak in the event of a crash. He also spoke of being able to drive over 300 miles without refilling which we thought was odd as who would do this in one go without wanting a bathroom break or a refreshment.

The petrol engine consists of literally hundreds of moving parts that must have tolerance of hundredths of a millimeter to function. We begun to understand why it is car repair shops that sell the cars – they might hope for something to break in the car that they can mend?

We put in a gear and drove away with a jerk. The jerk came not from any extreme acceleration, but gasoline engines apparently cannot be driven as smoothly as electric motors. The acceleration did not occur at all, because we could not get the car to go faster than 40 mph! By then the petrol engine literally howled and the whole car shook violently. Convinced that something must have broken we stopped the car. The seller then explained that with petrol engines you need to “change gears” on a regular basis. Between the engine and the wheels are not a fixed ratio gear, but a variable one. The petrol engine can produce power only in a limited speed range, and must therefore be geared with different ratios in order to continue to accelerate.

There are 5 different gears we can select with increasing speed as result. It is -as we learned quickly- very important that each time select a suitable gear otherwise the engine will either stop or get seriously damaged! You need a lot of training to learn to select the right gear at the right time – though there are also models with automatic transmissions that can do this themselves. In the manual transmission car, we needed to constantly guard the engine from damaging it. Very stressful.

We asked if the constant sound of the engine -that frankly disturbed us from being able to listen to the radio- could be turned off. But it couldn’t. Very distracting.

After getting the car up to speed through intricate changing of gears we approached a traffic light. Releasing the accelerator pedal resulted in no significant braking, we had to use the brake pedal very much to slow down the car. We were surprised to hear the brakes are completely mechanical! The only thing they generate is heat – braking gives no regeneration of gasoline back into the tank!

Sounds like a huge waste, but it would soon get even worse.

Not all my work but insightful nonetheless…..

460375914_110a64953a_b.jpg

"Pumping gas" by futureatlas.com is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin Note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Sometimes I wish I had never driven an electric car. I am so spoiled by having a Tesla now that the thought of driving a gas car gives me a small hiccup.
For me, the quartz / mechanical movement watch analogy works well.

Watches with battery powered quartz movements are low maintenance and keep time extremely well (they are also cheap as chips, which is where this analogy currently breaks down!)

Watches with beautiful, complex mechanical movements can keep time very well, but require more attention and servicing and are prone to going wrong every now and again.

I still much prefer to own and wear a good mechanical watch, but still wear one with a quartz movement for mundane day to day tasks.

Last edited:

Having heard so much good about petrol cars, we decided to test drive one. They are said to combine cheap price with long range and fast charging. A winning formula on paper – but how are they in real life?

We sat us in the loaner car at the car salesman’s office. Automakers do not sell the cars themselves, only through independent car repair shops as middlemen. It may sound like a bad omen to buy the car from a car repair shop that you want to visit as seldom as possible. But you apparently can’t buy the car directly from the manufacturer, so you must go through such intermediaries. The seller was very “pushy” and tried to convince us to buy the car very forcibly, but the experience is perhaps better elsewhere.

So we sat in the car and pressed the START button. The car’s gasoline engine coughed to life and started to operate. One could hear the engine’s sound and the car’s whole body vibrated as if something was broken, but the seller assured us that everything was as it should. The car actually has an electric motor and a microscopically small battery, but they are only used to start the petrol engine – the electric motor does not drive the wheels. The petrol engine then uses a tank full of gasoline, a fossil liquid, to propel the car by exploding small drops of it. It is apparently the small explosions that you hear and feel when the engine is running.

The car repair shop salesman reassured us that the flammable petrol gasoline beneath our seats was completely safe and would only typically leak in the event of a crash. He also spoke of being able to drive over 300 miles without refilling which we thought was odd as who would do this in one go without wanting a bathroom break or a refreshment.

The petrol engine consists of literally hundreds of moving parts that must have tolerance of hundredths of a millimeter to function. We begun to understand why it is car repair shops that sell the cars – they might hope for something to break in the car that they can mend?

We put in a gear and drove away with a jerk. The jerk came not from any extreme acceleration, but gasoline engines apparently cannot be driven as smoothly as electric motors. The acceleration did not occur at all, because we could not get the car to go faster than 40 mph! By then the petrol engine literally howled and the whole car shook violently. Convinced that something must have broken we stopped the car. The seller then explained that with petrol engines you need to “change gears” on a regular basis. Between the engine and the wheels are not a fixed ratio gear, but a variable one. The petrol engine can produce power only in a limited speed range, and must therefore be geared with different ratios in order to continue to accelerate.

There are 5 different gears we can select with increasing speed as result. It is -as we learned quickly- very important that each time select a suitable gear otherwise the engine will either stop or get seriously damaged! You need a lot of training to learn to select the right gear at the right time – though there are also models with automatic transmissions that can do this themselves. In the manual transmission car, we needed to constantly guard the engine from damaging it. Very stressful.

We asked if the constant sound of the engine -that frankly disturbed us from being able to listen to the radio- could be turned off. But it couldn’t. Very distracting.

After getting the car up to speed through intricate changing of gears we approached a traffic light. Releasing the accelerator pedal resulted in no significant braking, we had to use the brake pedal very much to slow down the car. We were surprised to hear the brakes are completely mechanical! The only thing they generate is heat – braking gives no regeneration of gasoline back into the tank!

View attachment 1011602
I love satire, this was excellent! F.Y.I.-first time member, still driving a 2018 Subaru Impreza while waiting for the Model Y Juniper. I wish I could have bought a Tesla sooner, but life got in the way. At least the the chuga chuga sound of the boxer engine is more pleasant to listen to.

Reactions: Whyone
Radio station? Is that the annoying thing that comes up on my car when it's slow connecting to Bluetooth and it didn't revert to Aux?
Funny, and true But if its a Tesla then it will also be the thing that comes on when my daughter gets out of the car and her Bluetooth disconnects but because the car will neither
a) connect to two bluetooth devices at the same time
or
b) automatically connect to the next one in line once one disconnects ( like pretty much every other car since 2015)

:mad:

Having heard so much good about petrol cars, we decided to test drive one. They are said to combine cheap price with long range and fast charging.

Can't have been a Toyota. They are much better 'coz they also have "self charging" <Spit!>

Auto Windscreen wipers work

So jealous! Yours is definitely a Keeper :)

I still much prefer to own and wear a good mechanical watch, but still wear one with a quartz movement for mundane day to day tasks.

Wow! Quartz sounds really good ... will it tell you the weather, pre-condition the car, and download P0rn? :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc and Js1977

View attachment 1011602

This is a good post. I also think it's worth mentioning that nobody has a petrol pump attached to their house. Something about safety, issue with getting a truck to come to the house to refill it when it runs out. So people with ICE cars have to drive to a filling station to get it refilled. Very inconvenient.

Also, the engine must be running in order to heat the car or defrost it. Very inconvenient in winter weather. Also an issue during the summer when you don't want the car to be a furnace when you get in it.

This is a good post. I also think it's worth mentioning that nobody has a petrol pump attached to their house. Something about safety, issue with getting a truck to come to the house to refill it when it runs out. So people with ICE cars have to drive to a filling station to get it refilled. Very inconvenient.

Also, the engine must be running in order to heat the car or defrost it. Very inconvenient in winter weather. Also an issue during the summer when you don't want the car to be a furnace when you get in it.

Like many people I have a 2500ltr (oil) tank adjacent to my house and a truck automatically comes and fills it without any fuss or trouble when it drops to 20% full.

I've never found it unbearably inconvenient to put petrol in my car either...there really are quite a few petrol stations about!!!

It's also not true to say that you can't remotely heat or cool many modern ICE cars

Not sure where you are getting your information from?!

Last edited:
Like many people I have a 2500ltr (oil) tank adjacent to my house and a truck automatically comes and fills it without any fuss or trouble when it drops to 20% full.

I've never found it unbearably inconvenient to put petrol in my car either...there really are quite a few petrol stations about!!!

It's also not true to say that you can't remotely heat or cool many modern ICE cars

Not sure where you are getting your information from?!
Very few in the US have oil next to their house so some people replying may be talking about that. This is in UK and Ireland area of forum I know. I realize this post may have originated in Sweden though many years ago.
Not many cars in past had remote start. And you shouldn't start your car with garage door closed of course.

Last edited:
Wait until the OP learns that in order to precondition or maintain the cabin temperature, they must idle a 200 horsepower internal combustion engine just to turn a 10 horsepower compressor. ;)

Or learns that a Tesla can consume a significant amount of power from the grid to warm the cabin and battery when grid power is likely to be most expensive and dirty. I guess it depends if you want to pollute your own neighbourhood (ICE) or someone else’s (EV).

Or learns that a Tesla can consume a significant amount of power from the grid to warm the cabin and battery when grid power is likely to be most expensive and dirty. I guess it depends if you want to pollute your own neighbourhood (ICE) or someone else’s (EV).
One large power plant can generate power much more cleanly than many small internal combustion engines...due in part to the efficiency of scale. :)

Reactions: Js1977
Mod comment - I'm starting to think the jovial point in the original post (which does have its origin going back some 8+ years) has started to disappear. I'm not sure we need to clinically scrutinise each point on whether it's accurate. It's a bit like a joke where somebody replies to the punchline with a correction to the gramatical use of "less" when it should have been "fewer" - it kind of misses the point.

Mod comment - I'm starting to think the jovial point in the original post (which does have its origin going back some 8+ years) has started to disappear. I'm not sure we need to clinically scrutinise each point on whether it's accurate. It's a bit like a joke where somebody replies to the punchline with a correction to the gramatical use of "less" when it should have been "fewer" - it kind of misses the point.

Its neither here nor there if the original post was from 8 years ago unless it was branched into here before for us? in which case you could merge?

By all means it's a sort of comic sort of starter post that we all know is going to go off topic/all over the show for fun and giggles. However, there as still some "serious" points being made that need addressing so in this way I also feel you miss the point unless you care to address in a less imposing statute ?

200 horsepower internal combustion engine

People who drive ICE have only 200 HP? Poor sods ...

Blimey, that sounds horrendous. For the majority of months in the year I make the fuel for my car from sunshine falling on my roof :)

• Funny
Reactions: Js1977 and zroger73
The OP makes an error or two. The electric vehicle with a 300 mile range surprisingly drops to 200 miles in the depths of winter which equates with a true range of 100 miles there and again back unless there is a convenient recharge facility en route or at destination and if the additional time to find said charger, queue and refuel doesn't matter.

Had the OP test driven a more fuel dense diesel car with better low rpm torque and modern enough to have an automatic gear box he could have sat in a car with a good 500 range even in winter allowing unrestricted travel in a 250 mile radius.

Instead of carting a massive dead weight of battery pack around he could have transported himself light and nimble. And I don't know how he drives but the engine will slow the vehicle via the transmission if lifting off the go pedal but in a more subtle way that also allow one to coast effectively towards junctions and crossings to save fuel.

Past concerns about pollution don't really apply now that all our manufacturing has been moved to China, India Pakistan and the like because obviously such well-equipped and high volume manufacturing facilities are set up with energy efficiency and worker rights at their forefront. You may notice how this allows fashionisters the luxury of swapping out their clothing, mobile phones and domestic appliances regularly to keep pace with change.

And some of us are lucky to not have to worry about storm damage and power cuts because it's so easy to keep a few spare cans of diesel at home should the need for a top-up arise.

My Tesla S is a fine car to drive. Comfortable and smooth so long as you don't want to depend on any automation or change anything like the radio station while negotiating A and B roads but my diesel has much better driver ergonomics and is easily refuelled in a few minutes at the supermarket with the weekly shop. I could do the same thing with my Tesla but I'd have to spend longer in the shop and pay at least 75p per KWH to fill up in 30 mins.

I can also get my diesel repaired in one of many local garages within say 10 miles rather than the nearest specialist centre 55 miles away and the next 90 miles away unless fortunate enough for something simple that can be done on the driveway..

Horses for courses
But... Does it fart at will?

Pr
Blimey, that sounds horrendous. For the majority of months in the year I make the fuel for my car from sunshine falling on my roof :)

It's the price I chose to pay to live in a beautiful rural location.

....and yes, we have PV solar for the car / house during the sunnier months.

I've yet to work out how to use the oil fired central heating system to charge my car!

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner

So people with ICE cars have to drive to a filling station to get it refilled. Very inconvenient.
Let’s not exaggerate and pretend filling an ICE car is hugely inconvenient. You fill up when you’re out and about anyway - maybe shopping at the supermarket and filling up at the station on the same site. With pay at pump you can be in and out with a full tank in less than 5 minutes.

That’s vastly more convenient than charging an EV for the many millions of people who are unable to charge at home.