Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive of Model S - Awesome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Penfold,
If you are still debating between a 75 or 100: As I and several others mentioned, a larger battery not just gives you longer range, it also decreases the time you need to charge before you can continue on a long trip, as the first 70 - 80% charges superquick. Its the last 20% to get to 100% charged that takes long. 80% Of a 100 battery may give you enough range you need to continue your trip, whereas 80% of a 75 may not... If I would buy again now, which I am considering, I might buy a 100 for that reason.
It depends where you plan to drive. I always use this site to plan my trips: https://evtripplanner.com/planner/2-8/
You input your route, and what model car / tires/ battery you have. Highly recommended, have a look. It defaults to USA, but works worldwide. Also one other thing: its fun to socialize at the supercharger on a road trip, you will often see the same folks using the same stop as you. Either way, to drive a Tesla is a blast!

Best, Mick

• Informative
Reactions: CotswoldS3X
Thanks Mick, if I could afford a 100 then I would go for it but it’s out of my reach. Maybe the next one but for now the 75D will be the one.

My journeys are normally about 130miles round trip depending on office location so am hoping the 75D will be more than enough even in the winter months and still sticking with rules of charging to prolong battery life.

Thanks Mick, if I could afford a 100 then I would go for it but it’s out of my reach. Maybe the next one but for now the 75D will be the one.

My journeys are normally about 130miles round trip depending on office location so am hoping the 75D will be more than enough even in the winter months and still sticking with rules of charging to prolong battery life.
130 USA miles round trip in total? Then a 75D is plenty enough. 260 in total? Then you'd need to charge it at your destination. If that doesn't have a dedicated charger, even a simple house hold outlet would do, but it would be close (if you are 8 hours at your destination, you'll charge 24 miles), enough to get home with some 20 miles left...

130 USA miles round trip in total? Then a 75D is plenty enough. 260 in total? Then you'd need to charge it at your destination. If that doesn't have a dedicated charger, even a simple house hold outlet would do, but it would be close (if you are 8 hours at your destination, you'll charge 24 miles), enough to get home with some 20 miles left...
Yep, 130 UK total round trip, sometimes a bit more but can’t see more than 100 miles each way for normal stuff. Maybe now and then further but then would plan accordingly.

@Penfold there is indeed lots to consider! But you won't regret buying the car as they are incredible!
Having had a look at evtripplanner it seems this is worldwide, and IMO abetterrouteplanner is better for the UK. But I guess it's down to whichever UI you prefer on the web page!

Ultimately you only need to consider your daily commute carefully the first few times. Once you know the car will do it you'll stop worrying and will only need to plan for longer trips.

sticking with rules of charging to prolong battery life

I don't think you have much to worry about there, Tesla have done a good job with battery management. If you charge it above 90% then drive it as soon after charging finishes as you can, but if you aren't ready to leave for an hour or two don't worry about it.

If you run it below 10% then try to charge immediately on arrival, so it doesn't sit at low state-of-charge

If you go away for a long period, e.g. holiday, in order that parasitic drain doesn't run the battery down then either make sure its 90% charged before you leave, or leave it plugged in. (I don't because of possible risk from power surge e.g. lightening strike)

IMO abetterrouteplanner is better for the UK.

I use both, and extract some information from each. The kicker for me is that I like to choose Superchargers and I think EVTripPlanner does that better. Also, the "recalculate" on EVTripPlanner is a lot quicker, so if I'm just messing around with sequence of stops, or "How does Route-A compare with Route-B" I use EVTripPlanner. Once I've done that then I find that ABRP has more useful Stats data about the trip

Are UK miles the same as US miles?

Nope, us Brits think that 200 miles is a long way :)

Nope, us Brits think that 200 miles is a long way :)
Lol, totally right there. Not sure how traffic is in the US but in the UK a 10 miles journey can take an hour to get through and it’s rare to drive on a motorway without hitting various traffic issues. I so much enjoy driving in Brittany, France as there is so much space and even the small roads are a pleasure. The motorways are just a dream and you can actually pull in and stay in the slow lane, not like the UK when as soon as you pull in you can’t get out again

I don't think you have much to worry about there, Tesla have done a good job with battery management. If you charge it above 90% then drive it as soon after charging finishes as you can, but if you aren't ready to leave for an hour or two don't worry about it.

If you run it below 10% then try to charge immediately on arrival, so it doesn't sit at low state-of-charge

If you go away for a long period, e.g. holiday, in order that parasitic drain doesn't run the battery down then either make sure its 90% charged before you leave, or leave it plugged in

I'm thinking of changing my car next year and a second hand Tesla S is on my short list (along with the diesel versions of Porsche Panamera and Maserati quattroporte) but I'm a bit concerned with what you have written.

I am fortunate to have several holidays a year which usually means that the car is left for either one or two weeks in an airport carpark. On at least one occasion I will have to drive 225 miles down to Gatwick airport and leave the car for a week and on another it will be 125 mile drive to Manchester Airport where it will be left for two weeks

Is this going to cause me problems with flat batteries?

the car is left for either one or two weeks in an airport carpark
Use a company called White Car.

They mainly rent out their own Teslas, but you can use their valet service too.
It’s Valet parking for Tesla so they’ll meet you at the terminal, drive the car away, store it securely, charge it, and drop it off to you on your return. £20 a day is a bargain!

They also offer a service called White Car Share; you add your car to their loan fleet and if they rent it out whilst you’re away, they split the profit with you!

I'm thinking of changing my car next year and a second hand Tesla S is on my short list (along with the diesel versions of Porsche Panamera and Maserati quattroporte) but I'm a bit concerned with what you have written.

I am fortunate to have several holidays a year which usually means that the car is left for either one or two weeks in an airport carpark. On at least one occasion I will have to drive 225 miles down to Gatwick airport and leave the car for a week and on another it will be 125 mile drive to Manchester Airport where it will be left for two weeks

+1 for Whitecar. They have an impeccable reputation and you can be sure your car is very well looked after whilst you are away, and thenbattery will be charged to whatever level you request.

I personally wouldn’t swap my Tesla for either of the other cars on your shortlist, but definitely don’t let the holiday parking be an entry on the “con” side of the list :)

No. Just do the obvious - don't leave it parked with absolutely nothing in the tank; also don't leave it at 100% (but on a trip to the airport it would be really hard work to get it to 100% anyhow), and leave 'energy saving' turned on in the settings (there's no real reason to turn it off). A couple of weeks is no big deal; in UK conditions, expect under 1% loss per day while parked for a long period.

This subject generates huge discussion - partly for the cases where it actually matters (much longer than 2 weeks), but mainly about what's the absolute best possible thing you could do while away. This is an interesting academic debate but ignores the fact that almost anything you do is actually OK. Whatever you do is likely to be less wear on the car than if you were at home and driving it normally.