Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive of X with unexpected conclusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have spent a lot of time in the discovery, range rover and my Model X. Personally I am a total convert. The screen does clear quickly, it is an electric heater so is faster than waiting for an engine to heat up (although I know most land rovers have heated screen). I live in Sheffield so if you ever fancy poping in to have a second look/test ride in my Model X you'd be welcome. I have the 20" rims (really not a fan of big rims) and a 75D model X. The best thing about the ride in the model X is I found you really don't get that 'wallowing' effect you get in the disco or range rover due to the Teslas low centre of gravity (particularly for rear passnegers). it also goes bloody well for a big SUV around corners. Also love the performance and instant throttle response. I think most of the features you didn't like on the test drive are features that can be adjusted. I could really never see myself going for a range rover now, having done 6,000 miles in our model X Absolutely love it.
like I said if youre nearby you'd be welcome to pop round for a cuppa to re evaluate. just PM me if you can - I'm fairly new to this!

That's very encouraging. I've just ordered an X75D after considering all the obvious conventional large SUVs and I have to say it impressed me more than any of the others on a test drive. Sublime power delivery and really quite decent handling, far more in line with Porsche SUVs than Land Rover. The latest Volvo XC90 T8 was also very impressive, but the hybrid power train is nowhere near as convincing as the Tesla!

I have spent a lot of time in the discovery, range rover and my Model X. Personally I am a total convert. The screen does clear quickly, it is an electric heater so is faster than waiting for an engine to heat up (although I know most land rovers have heated screen). I live in Sheffield so if you ever fancy poping in to have a second look/test ride in my Model X you'd be welcome. I have the 20" rims (really not a fan of big rims) and a 75D model X. The best thing about the ride in the model X is I found you really don't get that 'wallowing' effect you get in the disco or range rover due to the Teslas low centre of gravity (particularly for rear passnegers). it also goes bloody well for a big SUV around corners. Also love the performance and instant throttle response. I think most of the features you didn't like on the test drive are features that can be adjusted. I could really never see myself going for a range rover now, having done 6,000 miles in our model X Absolutely love it.
like I said if youre nearby you'd be welcome to pop round for a cuppa to re evaluate. just PM me if you can - I'm fairly new to this!

Thanks for a very relevant and detailed response. If you live around Sheffield then you have plenty of hill test opportunities. Your spec is the same as our ideal with the smaller rims. Just one question - is the heater part of the sub-zero weather package ? (which is now only available in the premium upgrade package)

I have a 2 year old Range Rover Vogue SE and was initially disappointed when I had a test drive through the Newcastle DS at the lack of similar luxury features in the MX. I thought the MX handling was much superior than the RR and I liked the many high tech features. I also think the resale value of big diesel SUV's will drop further and this would hit me if I replaced my current RR with a similar one in March 3 years later.
After much thought and discussion though ordered an MX100D at the weekend with delayed delivery in March. I have come to the conclusion that really the RR and an MX are 2 very different cars and philosophies and although the MX lacks the ambience and luxury of the MX the MX has benefits that the RR does not have. Being able to get 100% first year allowances through my business also attracted me.
My SC is in Leeds and I have found them very helpful when I initially called in there when working in Leeds and it was great they have a DS based in Newcastle who brought her car to us.
You are probably aware of the advantages of free supercharging and £750 discount that come through using a referral code but you should also be aware that the £750 discount ends at the end of the month.
I would be more than happy if you wanted to order with my referral code as my grandchildren would get a mini-Tesla and if you PM me i can give it to you. Its fresh off the press as only got it on Sunday!

Thanks for a very relevant and detailed response. If you live around Sheffield then you have plenty of hill test opportunities. Your spec is the same as our ideal with the smaller rims. Just one question - is the heater part of the sub-zero weather package ? (which is now only available in the premium upgrade package)

Heater is standard along with heater front seats. Heated steering wheel, wiper, washer, and rear seats were part of cold weather package. The sub zero/ cold weather is now grouped into the premium package.

The sub-zero package adds heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, heated washer fluid nozzles, and heated bands under the wiper blades. The resistive cabin heater and the heated front seats are standard.

Just one question - is the heater ...

Not sure I understood your question properly, but I think you were asking about heating the windscreen to clear ice etc. in Winter?

If so then that is the standard, electric (resistance) heater, so no extra option required. Also: you can turn that on from your phone (the APP gives you remote access to Climate Control in the car, amongst other things). If the car is plugged into the mains, whether actively charging or not, it will use "shore power" for that pre-conditioning, but if you are out and about, just getting up from your table in a restaurant for example :), you can set the Climate ready for when you get back to the car (i..e using battery power) - by which time the windscreen ice will have cleared. One more advantage of having a battery rather than having to start up the engine; indeed, using "Camper Mode" you can sleep in the car overnight at a nice comfortable temperature instead of having to wake up every 30 minutes, freezing cold, and run the engine :)