Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive of X with unexpected conclusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I went for test drive of an X this week in Leeds with a surprising end conclusion. We became converted to Tesla after meeting a couple on vacation 2 years ago who were exceptionally positive after using their S for some months around Europe. With that in mind we went for a drive fully expecting to order one as a direct result.
The initial experience of trying to park our own vehicle was not good as there were literally no places to park except by ignoring the marked areas.. The forecourt was full of client/stock/demo vehicles and there were no reserved places for visitors to park.
The test drive was very professionally handled by the Tesla staff member and embraced a good cross section of roads. We both had some misgivings about the handling when compared with our existing LR Discovery. We both found the autopilot to be something we did not want at this stage for our typical motoring requirements. We also noticed that the there was a distinct roll back of the vehicle on a slight up hill slope upon releasing the foot brake at a road junction which would not happen with our present vehicle.
We then returned to the centre to discuss our ideal specification. At this point the dialogue became quite negative from our viewpoint as our desired colour was now discontinued and the colours available are very limited. The option to have the subzero features cannot be specified as a separate item and now forms part of the 'Premium Upgrade Package' at £ 5700 where we are not at all interested in the rest of the package. Then we looked at the seating options expecting to have a real leather option but found that only synthetic material is offered in a fixed range of colour combinations at quite a high figure when compared with other makers' real leather options.
Our conclusion was that the Tesla marketing is not in any way similar to anything else in the premium car ranges where one can normally tailor a vehicle to precisely match the requirements. It was almost as though we were considering a bottom end mass produced vehicle with a 'take it or leave it' attitude and very few options. I can fully appreciate that the objective of this policy is to minimise the options to ease production schedules but then as a professional engineer I thought that fully automated production lines can cope with any build combination being fed into the computer based production schedule. We did finally opt for a specification in order to produce a build sheet and price.
In climbing back into our own car I did not expect to feel far more comfortable in driving around the same area as the test drive, even allowing for the fact that the test vehicle had the larger wheels. I accept that one is used to one's own vehicle but then again we are well used to driving a wide range of hire and family owned vehicles when visiting our family down under each year.
In reflecting overnight we concluded that the package as offered did not actually meet our requirements but was the package which Tesla wished to build to suit their requirements. So we have backed off from the X range and are contemplating buying a used dual motor S with leather upholstery, our desired colour, zero road tax etc, accepting that this will not offer the raised driving position or foul weather capability of our existing vehicle. The further option would be to hold off to see how the market develops.
The reason for writing this long submission is to seek views from others who have tread the same path - particularly those converting from LR Discovery/Range Rover.
A question for seasoned users is how fast does the screen clear when arriving back late on a freezing cold night to a station or airport car park where the vehicle is frozen solid?

We also noticed that the there was a distinct roll back of the vehicle on a slight up hill slope upon releasing the foot brake at a road junction which would not happen with our present vehicle.

There is a mode called "Creep" which may have been off in your case. When on, it simulates the forward moving tendency of an automatic transmission vehicle. When off, it is similar to a manual with the clutch pressed.
I believe there is also a hill hugger mode, but that may require a firmer press on the brake to engage.

A question for seasoned users is how fast does the screen clear when arriving back late on a freezing cold night to a station or airport car park where the vehicle is frozen solid?

With the app, you can turn on the climate control before you get to the vehicle, so it is already defrosted and warm by the time you arrive..

There is a mode called "Creep" which may have been off in your case. When on, it simulates the forward moving tendency of an automatic transmission vehicle. When off, it is similar to a manual with the clutch pressed.
I believe there is also a hill hugger mode, but that may require a firmer press on the brake to engage.

With the app, you can turn on the climate control before you get to the vehicle, so it is already defrosted and warm by the time you arrive..

Many thanks for the very useful feedback - thought there must be an option. We were told about the option to hold the brake pedal down to achieve the 'hill hugger' mode but now realise the creep option was not on. Is there a hill descent option? We occasionally use this for descending the road outside our house in extreme cold weather where the car descends at 4 mph with no driver input.
On the remote heating option does this take much out of the battery under freezing conditions?

there's no hill descent but with regen on, the motors will do the breaking for you (which is like hill descent anyway). You can almost come to a complete stop using the regen and rarely have to touch the brakes.

The new synthetic material is superior to leather in all accounts. I was thinking the same thing as you until I actually did a little research and experienced it myself. If I would have had the option to pick it over the leather option that is in my Model S, I would have.
Very interesting feedback - have now discovered some feedback on rapid wear rates on real leather covers - so can appreciate your view. I presume the synthetic product stands up better in extreme heat conditions which apply in the Southern States.

Many thanks for the very useful feedback - thought there must be an option. We were told about the option to hold the brake pedal down to achieve the 'hill hugger' mode but now realise the creep option was not on. Is there a hill descent option? We occasionally use this for descending the road outside our house in extreme cold weather where the car descends at 4 mph with no driver input.
On the remote heating option does this take much out of the battery under freezing conditions?
Typically you have the car plugged in when you would be enabling this feature so it would not really be using much of the battery power at all.

Very interesting feedback - have now discovered some feedback on rapid wear rates on real leather covers - so can appreciate your view. I presume the synthetic product stands up better in extreme heat conditions which apply in the Southern States.
Wear, aging, colorfastness, and abrasion resistance are all superior with the synthetic material. It also has a better "feel" in my opinion. You also get the bonus of better uniformity as the same material is used for all sections of upholstery.

there's no hill descent but with regen on, the motors will do the breaking for you (which is like hill descent anyway). You can almost come to a complete stop using the regen and rarely have to touch the brakes.
Many thanks - hadn't thought of that logic but certainly appreciated the braking effect of regen. Presumably with dual motor configuration that would work quite well in icy conditions. We mainly have a 4x4 to cover for the winter when just for short spells driving can be tricky!

@WTO1 I am writing from a non-freezing region of the U.S., but I had hill descent control in my Toyota 4Runner prior to getting my Model S. The Model S (and I have a RWD one) is more than capable in frozen territories, but it regenerative braking will NOT hold you at 4 mph like you are used to. You will not go excessively fast downhill, but regenerative breaking is effectively non-existent below 8 mph (though maybe it is there slightly at 6 mph). This is NOT to discourage you from getting a Model X or S, but to set up proper expectations.

I would suggest asking for an extended test drive. In the U.S., Tesla has been very accommodating with an overnight test drive. That would help you spend more time with the vehicle in terrain you are used to.

yes the dual motors will work front and back so giving you better grip - the regen is really strong and with winter tires it would not be a problem. I drove a Model X in the alps in deep snow last winter and was more than impressed.

Many thanks - hadn't thought of that logic but certainly appreciated the braking effect of regen. Presumably with dual motor configuration that would work quite well in icy conditions. We mainly have a 4x4 to cover for the winter when just for short spells driving can be tricky!

Typically you have the car plugged in when you would be enabling this feature so it would not really be using much of the battery power at all.
I was thinking of the scene where we have been for a rail trip to London arriving back late to the station car park to find the car is frozen solid with thick ice on all screens and the vehicle is not plugged into a mains supply. With the LR one fires the engine first and presses one button which puts on the built in front/rear screen heaters and mirror heaters and the oil fired heater also fires up to warm the engine circuit and apply heat to the cabin. One can generally move off safely with a clear view within 2 or 3 minutes with no scraping.

My wife and I went for test drive of an X this week in Leeds with a surprising end conclusion. We became converted to Tesla after meeting a couple on vacation 2 years ago who were exceptionally positive after using their S for some months around Europe. With that in mind we went for a drive fully expecting to order one as a direct result.
The initial experience of trying to park our own vehicle was not good as there were literally no places to park except by ignoring the marked areas.. The forecourt was full of client/stock/demo vehicles and there were no reserved places for visitors to park.
The test drive was very professionally handled by the Tesla staff member and embraced a good cross section of roads. We both had some misgivings about the handling when compared with our existing LR Discovery. We both found the autopilot to be something we did not want at this stage for our typical motoring requirements. We also noticed that the there was a distinct roll back of the vehicle on a slight up hill slope upon releasing the foot brake at a road junction which would not happen with our present vehicle.
We then returned to the centre to discuss our ideal specification. At this point the dialogue became quite negative from our viewpoint as our desired colour was now discontinued and the colours available are very limited. The option to have the subzero features cannot be specified as a separate item and now forms part of the 'Premium Upgrade Package' at £ 5700 where we are not at all interested in the rest of the package. Then we looked at the seating options expecting to have a real leather option but found that only synthetic material is offered in a fixed range of colour combinations at quite a high figure when compared with other makers' real leather options.
Our conclusion was that the Tesla marketing is not in any way similar to anything else in the premium car ranges where one can normally tailor a vehicle to precisely match the requirements. It was almost as though we were considering a bottom end mass produced vehicle with a 'take it or leave it' attitude and very few options. I can fully appreciate that the objective of this policy is to minimise the options to ease production schedules but then as a professional engineer I thought that fully automated production lines can cope with any build combination being fed into the computer based production schedule. We did finally opt for a specification in order to produce a build sheet and price.
In climbing back into our own car I did not expect to feel far more comfortable in driving around the same area as the test drive, even allowing for the fact that the test vehicle had the larger wheels. I accept that one is used to one's own vehicle but then again we are well used to driving a wide range of hire and family owned vehicles when visiting our family down under each year.
In reflecting overnight we concluded that the package as offered did not actually meet our requirements but was the package which Tesla wished to build to suit their requirements. So we have backed off from the X range and are contemplating buying a used dual motor S with leather upholstery, our desired colour, zero road tax etc, accepting that this will not offer the raised driving position or foul weather capability of our existing vehicle. The further option would be to hold off to see how the market develops.
The reason for writing this long submission is to seek views from others who have tread the same path - particularly those converting from LR Discovery/Range Rover.
I agree with you that the choices of features and colors now is too limited, especially for a luxury car. I am very glad to have bought my MS two years ago when there was more variety and flexibility of features available. Since then, for instance, my combination of black Alcantera headliner with tan leather seats is no longer available. With tan upholstery, one is stuck with an ugly off-white headliner that does not match the tan, resulting in a cheap-looking result.

As to "roll-back" on starting, that would have been avoided by pressing the brake pedal firmly to put the car into "Vehicle Hold" mode. Then you could have left your foot completely off the brake and simply pressed the accelerator pedal to start driving without roll-back.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I was thinking of the scene where we have been for a rail trip to London arriving back late to the station car park to find the car is frozen solid with thick ice on all screens and the vehicle is not plugged into a mains supply. With the LR one fires the engine first and presses one button which puts on the built in front/rear screen heaters and mirror heaters and the oil fired heater also fires up to warm the engine circuit and apply heat to the cabin. One can generally move off safely with a clear view within 2 or 3 minutes with no scraping.

Heater is ~ 6kW, about 20kBTU, so it puts out a lot of heating energy to melt the ice. For reference, it takes 144 BTU to turn a pound of ice into a pound of water. With the climate control set to heat the interior, it should melt the interface layer between the ice and glass fairly quickly,

We then returned to the centre to discuss our ideal specification. At this point the dialogue became quite negative from our viewpoint as our desired colour was now discontinued and the colours available are very limited. The option to have the subzero features cannot be specified as a separate item and now forms part of the 'Premium Upgrade Package'

Hi, @WTO1. All the colors and options that are available are shown on the Model X design studio on the Tesla website here: Order a Model X. Configuring the car in a Tesla store is the same as configuring online.

Our conclusion was that the Tesla marketing is not in any way similar to anything else in the premium car ranges where one can normally tailor a vehicle to precisely match the requirements. It was almost as though we were considering a bottom end mass produced vehicle with a 'take it or leave it' attitude and very few options.

The Tesla stores exist mainly for educational purposes. All Tesla stores are owned by the company and they don't have any inventory to sell. Store employees are told to create a no-pressure environment. Elon's idea was that you would visit a Tesla store to learn about the car, not to be sold the car.

I agree with you that the choices of features and colors now is too limited, especially for a luxury car. I am very glad to have bought my MS two years ago when there was more variety and flexibility of features available. Since then, for instance, my combination of black Alcantera headliner with tan leather seats is no longer available. With tan upholstery, one is stuck with an ugly off-white headliner that does not match the tan, resulting in a cheap-looking result.

As to "roll-back" on starting, that would have been avoided by pressing the brake pedal firmly to put the car into "Vehicle Hold" mode. Then you could have left your foot completely off the brake and simply pressed the accelerator pedal to start driving without roll-back.
As a side note: the new "Cream" interior color option that replaced the old tan option now matches the light colored headlining properly. I agree though that there should still be the option to mix and match any color combo at the price point these cars are at.

• Informative
Reactions: brucet999
...how fast does the screen clear when arriving back late on a freezing cold night to a station or airport car park where the vehicle is frozen solid?...

There's a trade off:

If I set my car to conserve energy and it goes to deep sleep after a few days of parking, it takes about a minute to wake up.

With the same setting, it has not gone to deep sleep yet because it has parking less than a day, when I open the door, the screen would wake up right away.

You can set you car settings so it does not conserve energy and it does not go to deep sleep so you can always have an instant screen wake up as soon as you open your door.

...a distinct roll back of the vehicle on a slight up hill slope upon releasing the foot brake...

My Model X is quite sensitive in detecting a slope even from higher garage edge toward slightly sloping driveway and it would automatically place the brake on "Hold" if I apply the brake.

That mean when I take off the pedal, the car wouldn't move (because it's on brake hold) so I need to push the accelerator to get it going.

I use Autopilot very often and it stops and starts for me so I don't even have to worry about hilly driving or sliding.