Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive opportunity before completing order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a current Tesla owner but placed my M3 order April 2 2016. I stopped by my local Tesla location in Walnut Creek Ca to ask about scheduling a test drive as I would like the opportunity to actualy experience the M3 before I complete my transaction. Are most people comfortable buying without a test drive first or we should soon expect test drive news prior to the early production runs (post July 28th of course)? As much as I really am looking forward to owning my first Tesla I cant imagine buying any car without a test drive.

Another question along these lines.

How many miles will they put on the test-drive cars before selling them at a discount? Assuming a limited number of cars to drive per store. Maybe only one car in showroom and a couple on the lot. Say there are 2 to 3 test drives a day per car, that's 50+ miles a day. 300 miles a week easy. Over 1k a month. So by next spring 5k miles easy.

Would they sell outside the reservation list?

• Funny
Reactions: CarlitoDoc
Rumor has it they'll push 1 Model 3 to each showroom in descending order of pre-order density (and regional delivery priority).

Whether that happens in time for prospective owners to test drive before clicking "OK/Commit" is an open question.

Presumably, existing owners with reservations get priority (there aren't very many existing owners with M3 reservations, relatively speaking), but after that, reservation holders in general might find themselves in a bit of a free for all.

I already feel badly for the showroom teams.

And of course agree that a test drive is going to be a make or break experience for many of us.

Although... a well-done VR and AR experience would go a VERY long way. Hint, hint, Tesla senior management. Show me the inside of the car and people of various shapes and sizes in the car (and what they see while therein), and that could be enough at least to place the order and follow up with a confirmatory test drive thereafter.

It seems kind of bizarre to say this, but at this point, the test drive wouldn't be make or break to me. In the past, even when I felt absolutely confident about what car I wanted, I still test drove no fewer than five cars to get a feel for the competition. At this point, I feel like I should be test driving things like the Bolt, or at least other comparably priced sedans, but I think I'd be wasting their and my time. Nothing's going to deter me from the Model 3.

It seems kind of bizarre to say this, but at this point, the test drive wouldn't be make or break to me. In the past, even when I felt absolutely confident about what car I wanted, I still test drove no fewer than five cars to get a feel for the competition. At this point, I feel like I should be test driving things like the Bolt, or at least other comparably priced sedans, but I think I'd be wasting their and my time. Nothing's going to deter me from the Model 3.

Well a bolt sure isn't :) But I drove my buddy's new BMW M4 last week and man was it a blast to drive. You could tell BMW has been incrementally refining their interiors in a way that Tesla just doesn't have the capacity or longevity of model years to match.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Personally I'm ok with not having a test drive before I pick up the car. I've done it before. I know it's a risk to do (my wife thinks I'm crazy), but in general my tolerance level is pretty high with adjustments. It also helps that my overall dimensions are fairly average, so chances are good that I'll fit comfortably.

Reactions: Lunarx
I do hope that they do get one at every store/service center and have Tesla model 3 drive days across the planet as the rollout happens. Being Tesla, though, they may just do it like the model S for some. A car hauler shows up with it on the back, a driver rolls it off and hands you the keys.

Who really knows until it actually starts.

Me, I ordered the M3 day 1 like many here, but I will push back my order until I can actually drive it. I may even wait until the dual motor models ships and a greater choice of options comes up too. But, if the range, colors, wheels suit me, I'll click the buy button right after a drive.

I already have a MS, so I smile daily.

My concern is visibility and overall comfort. I am pretty confident it would be a fun drive though:
200.webp

Hi,

We puchased our 2012 plug in prius without a test drive, but we had owned a 2002, 2005, and 2007 prius before the purchase.

For the model X, we did a test drive, but the most important part was actually testing the seven seat configuration with the kids and car seats vs the drive part.

We did the test drive in October, paid our deposit and confirmed in December, and picked it up the end of March.

We still have a model 3 reservation, and depending on cost, finances, and when delivery would happen, I could see confirming without a test drive. We really would need delivery in 2018 and not 2017, as we can't absorb two tax credits in one year.

That being said, I don't know if we qualify for current owner priority, as we were not owners when we placed the reservation, but we are owners now.

Harry

We still have a model 3 reservation, and depending on cost, finances, and when delivery would happen, I could see confirming without a test drive. We really would need delivery in 2018 and not 2017, as we can't absorb two tax credits in one year.
Presumably Tesla will let you defer your order for up to 6 months.

I'm in the same boat as you tax wise, so I don't intend to take delivery until 2018 ever if earlier is offered.