Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive tomorrow - what to look out for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, that was an experience....I was caught out by the lane safety, where I didn’t indicate to drop back into a lane and the steering wheel wrestled me a little but next time I remembered to simply indicate....

All in all, I went in there expecting shoddy build quality, dangerous feeling steering and just a jumpy car. I came out of there confident that I would be happy with a car of that level (provided it was free from problems!).
The steering wheel wrestled you a bit suggests you had the autopilot engaged. I personally prefer just the adaptive cruise control that doesn't take those kinds of actions.

You might also consider the non-P version if the roads where you typically drive are rough. Others here are of the opinion that the P suspension gives a harsher ride. I've got the LR AWD version and am quite satisfied with how taut the ride is without being jarring. Another advantage of the non P version is lower insurance rates (at least with our Allstate insurance here in CA).

You might also consider the non-P version if the roads where you typically drive are rough. Others here are of the opinion that the P suspension gives a harsher ride. I've got the LR AWD version and am quite satisfied with how taut the ride is without being jarring. Another advantage of the non P version is lower insurance rates (at least with our Allstate insurance here in CA).
If coming from an M Car the P is the right choice, suspension is much better on the P than the LR from a performance and overall damping perspective if your used to high performance ICE cars.

The steering wheel wrestled you a bit suggests you had the autopilot engaged. I personally prefer just the adaptive cruise control that doesn't take those kinds of actions.
More likely the lane assist not set to warn. There are tales of people thinking that autopilot wandered between the lines when all they had was lane assist turned on.

More likely the lane assist not set to warn. There are tales of people thinking that autopilot wandered between the lines when all they had was lane assist turned on.

from what I felt I think it was lane assist, although I’ve always disabled it previously in other vehicles!

The digital indicators were a blast from the past from my second previous BMW!

I was caught out by the lane safety, where I didn’t indicate to drop back into a lane and the steering wheel wrestled me a little but next time I remembered to simply indicate.

It still catches me out occasionally! Eventually, you get used to it and it becomes second nature when it does decide to kick in when your not quick enough with the indicator :) You can always set it to beep rather than take action if it annoys you in your actual car :)

When I had my test drive I was testing auto pilot and drifted into the outside lane of a motorway to over take without indicating (my bmw ways 😉) and the car argued with me and started saying taking evasive action. I almost pooped myself! If anything it promotes positive indicators! I’ll switch it to warn when I get my own!

Apologize if I'm about to hijack this thread but instead of posting a new one thought I would comment about my M3SR+ test drive today in Aberdeen.

Spent 20 minutes on the phone with the rep going through menus and settings, Suggested that at some point in the test drive my wife should change steering from Standard to comfort, The rep said his preference was comfort. Was told you could one pedal drive but it wasn't advised but be aware of how reducing foot pressure on the pedal reduces acceleration. We had our 8-year-old with us and was told that she could drive it with no problems. I hadn't driven an automatic since 1993 and that was once on a 1-hour driving lesson.

As I don't normally use cruise control, Though offered instruction on Autopilot I declined. The most sports car I had owned was a mini one convertable.

As for the test drive route I was just told see you in an hour and a half, Take it Stonehaven for Ice cream. Instead we went to Balmedie, Some Moterway driving and some suburban street driving

Anyway, my wife complained about the rollercoaster pinning back acceleration, I kept stopping a car length before stop lines, We stopped after 40 minutes had a good look at the car played with the screen set up fart noise when turn indicating is used for my daughter to have a laugh, The drive back we swapped to comfort and I did find the steering more to my liking and speed was a lot more consistent.

When the car was retired we spoke to the salesperson for another 15 minutes on things like the EST Loan, Chargers, Premium Connectivity, He also mentioned popping the aero covers and spending £60 for Tesla Bolts to expose the alloys for summer.

Asked about Delivery he said May, June, and then September

The drive home all we heard from the daughter was, can we buy the farting Ipad car pleeeese.

Just need the company finance director to approve now.

Apologize if I'm about to hijack this thread but instead of posting a new one thought I would comment about my M3SR+ test drive today in Aberdeen.

Spent 20 minutes on the phone with the rep going through menus and settings, Suggested that at some point in the test drive my wife should change steering from Standard to comfort, The rep said his preference was comfort. Was told you could one pedal drive but it wasn't advised but be aware of how reducing foot pressure on the pedal reduces acceleration. We had our 8-year-old with us and was told that she could drive it with no problems. I hadn't driven an automatic since 1993 and that was once on a 1-hour driving lesson.

As I don't normally use cruise control, Though offered instruction on Autopilot I declined. The most sports car I had owned was a mini one convertable.

As for the test drive route I was just told see you in an hour and a half, Take it Stonehaven for Ice cream. Instead we went to Balmedie, Some Moterway driving and some suburban street driving

Anyway, my wife complained about the rollercoaster pinning back acceleration, I kept stopping a car length before stop lines, We stopped after 40 minutes had a good look at the car played with the screen set up fart noise when turn indicating is used for my daughter to have a laugh, The drive back we swapped to comfort and I did find the steering more to my liking and speed was a lot more consistent.

When the car was retired we spoke to the salesperson for another 15 minutes on things like the EST Loan, Chargers, Premium Connectivity, He also mentioned popping the aero covers and spending £60 for Tesla Bolts to expose the alloys for summer.

Asked about Delivery he said May, June, and then September

The drive home all we heard from the daughter was, can we buy the farting Ipad car pleeeese.

Just need the company finance director to approve now.
Which one did you test drive?

20210425_161913.jpg

Reactions: skippyinspace
Surprised about them not saying 1 pedal driving. They removed ‘low’ regen as an option so now you pretty much have no choice but 1 pedal driving. At normal town speeds certainly the car slows fast enough when you lift fully off that I barely use the brakes. Pretty quick to learn how to feather it just right but until then it might feel harsh.

Always chill mode for acceleration if your wife prefers that (I have my wife’s profile set to that but she’s not driven it yet)

Good advice.... bear in mind lifting off the go peddle completely will bring the brake lights on, anyone behind might think you are brake checking them!
I was wondering if this was the case. What is the rule for when the car turns on the brake lights? Is it for any significant deceleration or only when letting off go completely?

There's a threshold where you're slowing down more than engine braking would (so would normally use brakes) but I'm not sure where it kicks in.. I expect if you do normal smooth driving it's unlikely to be seen as unusual by someone following - certainly never noticed it in Teslas I've been behind.

Once you're used to one pedal driving it's fairly easy to time it so you stop on the line.. it's very consistent.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Drove the Red one,
Asked about floor mats and was told the SR+ now comes with them, The Sales Rep was like you spend 40K on a car you should get floor mats and Tesla have finally listened

The only off-putting thing was delivery is GLASGOW !! 3 hours plus from where I am, Was saying it's because they had outgrown the site. But on further discussion, if you requested home delivery Aberdeen would cover the cost as it was their fault

Found the sales guy very helpful and they were busy with test drives when we were there

Who were you dealing with if you don’t mind me asking? The Glasgow collection threw us too but we’re due delivery as it’s a lease and part of their package.

I said we would make our mind up closer to the time as I’m not adverse to a little adventure to collect the car.
Have you considered asking for a flatbed delivery? I’m wondering if I can squeeze the lease company for that. Normally it is just a couple of guys who drive two lease cars to their destination - so potentially you could have two chaps in your car for an hour or two. Doesn’t seem very Covid safe!

Who were you dealing with if you don’t mind me asking? The Glasgow collection threw us too but we’re due delivery as it’s a lease and part of their package.

I said we would make our mind up closer to the time as I’m not adverse to a little adventure to collect the car.

Spoke to Robbie,

TBH I cant remember if he said if I had a car to trade in delivery would have to be Glasgow, but as I probably wont be using their trade-in and being in Peterhead the direct delivery is a big plus.