TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Test drive without appointment?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by McHoffa, Jan 15, 2016.

1. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

I've finally got a chance to do a test drive (closest store is 3 hours from me) but they're booked all weekend. I'm still going to go by just to get up close looks but was wondering if they ever do test drives without appointments, say if they've got extra time or someone cancels or doesn't show.

Not that I need any convincing to buy one but was hoping to get behind the wheel. If not, maybe I'll get a chance this spring.

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

The local service center here in Northern California allowed me to test drive without an appointment, I had to wait an hour as they had one scheduled same time I asked, but after they were done I was given a test drive.
    However it's definitely better to schedule ahead, that way you'll know for sure since it's a 3 hour drive for you

3. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

This was a last minute trip so I immediately emailed last night. This morning they called to tell me they were full :frown:

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Definitely tell them your distance situation, that might help in getting you squeezed in between test drives.

5. MikeL

MikeL some guy

#5 MikeL, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Speaking of distance, I got a no appointment test drive last summer ... In Sydney Australia!! Had to wait awhile, they were very nice. Right hand drive! :eek:
    Other test drives I have had the pleasure of ... were mostly about the terrible traffic problems in their respective cities. Uugh. Hope you fare better.

6. byan1232

byan1232 Member

I actually test drove this morning in Short Hills Mall, NJ without an appointment. If they don't have bookings they allow walk ins.

7. Babasnoopy

Babasnoopy Member

At the DEDHAM MA location when I was still considering options and what not, I did a scheduled appt and a drop in. Both times I drove different cars to get a feel for the different seats, batteries, etc. They were always busy, but managed to fit us in. The sales folks at Tesla are generally very good and understand the clientele that they are working with expects that level of service.

8. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

I got lucky and they had an extra car available, so I got to go out in a P85D!

9. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

At the SLC service center they have been known to do drives if not busy. But as other have said always best to ring ahead.

If you do happen by your service center and they don't have time maybe see if anyone there that's charging will take you for a ride. More than once when the Tesla sales people were busy I've been happy to do impromptu drives.

10. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

Just go there and wait... they will work you in. Amazing demand for these cars.

11. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

I just showed up at our local store this past weekend. The store was dead quiet. There was no issue with just showing up without an appointment.