Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Testing the health of 12v battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing appears on the car's display regarding the health of the 12V battery until the system determines something is amiss. You could buy a 12V battery monitor (bluetooth enabled to communicate with your smartphone) and keep track of the voltages yourself but I can't tell you exactly what voltage or what prior history is needed to be measured for you to be concerned about replacement.

My understanding is that recent software updates have gotten better at predicting the failure of the 12V battery and that in most cases, you won't be stranded by a "sudden death".

For me, I took a proactive approach and replaced my 12V battery before its 4 year anniversary (and 23K-something miles). I never saw any message on the screen, nor encountered any "weird" events that may have been a precursor to failure. It was worth the ~$130 to me to replace it as I was going on a fairly long trip and I subscribe to Murphy's Law.

Upvote 0
No way that I'm aware of for proactively checking 12V battery health. After only a year of buying the car, I got a warning that my 12V battery had degraded and it was time to replace it. I took it to a service center and they replaced it free of charge. So In my case, no sudden death and things worked out, but I wasn't pleased with a battery failure after only one year of use. Probably a defective battery and/or a premature failure of some sort.

Upvote 0
If your 12v battery is of the older, sealed lead acid family, testing it is fairly straightforward. There are many good testers available at reasonable price that allow you to put a load on the battery and get a gauge of its health. The better testers will also measure internal plate resistance and I find that the best measure for assessing decline and predicting failure.

The newer 12v Lithium batteries are generally better batteries (I'd argue that SLA is still a better option in very cold climates). But their properties of decline over time are different from SLA. You can buy monitors which track voltage, but that doesn't really tell you anything about the overall health of the battery. I don't know of an affordable tester that does (witness the numerous discussions around Tesla's BMS... a quite sophisticated system).

Upvote 0
Not needed,I asked the tesla mobile service guy, said before 12V Battery died there is notice pup up on the screen,use any third party May have some potential issues

Yeah... there is SUPPOSED to be a notice, but many (many) times the car doesnt generate one for the older lead acid battery. So "not needed" is up to you, but I can tell you for a fact that not every car with the regular lead acid battery will generate a pop up before it fails. I can point you to several threads here proving that, so telling people definitively they will get a popup is wrong.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering, is there a way to test the health of the 12v battery? Is there something on the display (or should there be) to indicate 12v battery health to avoid
any unexpected "sudden death"?
You can access the LV Battery vitals via in-car Service Mode.

The recurring item from the Service Manual is to confirm that the LV Battery SoC is above 73%.

20221124_144754.jpg

See attached, step to access service mode.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221124_030100.jpg
    Screenshot_20221124_030100.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can access the LV Battery vitals via in-car Service Mode.

The recurring item from the Service Manual is to confirm that the LV Battery SoC is above 73%.

View attachment 877922

See attached, step to access service mode.
That is useful information, but unfortunately does not tell you the LV battery health. I think to really do that, you need an external tester, which is how it is traditionally done for lead acids.

As others mentioned, Tesla does have a 12V battery failure prediction algorithm built in and a system to warn of it, but it has failed people plenty of times (plenty of threads on it). Certainly far better than nothing, but not 100% reliable either.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much! My wife's 2018 Model 3 is her daily driver, if she were to get stuck somewhere due to unexpected 12v battery failure "there would be hell to pay"!
The info I posted is probably just for the Low Voltage (aka 16V Li-ion battery).

Check to see if your 2018 Model 3 shows 12V Battery info via Service Mode.

Upvote 0
I test my 12V battery just like I have tested my battery for years. After sitting overnight, test the battery voltage at the battery terminals. A good battery should be in the 12.5-13.5V range. If it is less than 12.5 it is marginal and if less than 12.0 it needs to be replaced.

For the Tesla, you want to do this without waking the car, which will pull in the HV contactors and the DC-DC converter which charges the battery. The best way to do this is to leave the Frunk unlatched. Leave your phone key in the house. Open the Frunk and test the battery voltage at the terminals with a Voltmeter. See the voltages above to determine battery health.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and android04
Upvote 0
The other interesting thing is that the car warned me it was using the traction battery instead of the 12v one and that I would see increased battery drain while parked until it was replaced. I wonder if this is a recent change to prevent people from getting stranded?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
My vehicle has under 6000 miles. I had no issues until I had to park my car at the airport for a week. Not in a covered stall. When returning my battery was very low. I couldn’t update. Numerous alert warnings in car. Tesla service rep said “ it’s about time” and normal to replace the aux. battery at this age. She said if car was driven more the battery would last longer. So a $70 battery ( at a car parts store) will cost me over $ 350.00 to have it replaced at Tesla. So, tell me again on how I’m saving money not having to buy gas???

Upvote 0
My vehicle has under 6000 miles. I had no issues until I had to park my car at the airport for a week. Not in a covered stall. When returning my battery was very low. I couldn’t update. Numerous alert warnings in car. Tesla service rep said “ it’s about time” and normal to replace the aux. battery at this age. She said if car was driven more the battery would last longer. So a $70 battery ( at a car parts store) will cost me over $ 350.00 to have it replaced at Tesla. So, tell me again on how I’m saving money not having to buy gas???

Last I heard, a model 3(and presumably Y) battery of that era was only like $80 at the dealer and another $50 for a service ranger to install.

Upvote 0
Maybe your state is different, but the 12V battery in California is about $85 and labor to install $25-50.

And where can you find a 51R battery with a vent hose port for $70? It's more on the order of $200 (as most of the available ones are AGM). Even a conventional vented battery is well over $100, so Tesla's OEM battery is by far the cheapest option available. You can fault Tesla's parts cost for other items, but their 12V battery really isn't one of them.

How old is your car to need a 12V battery replacement under 6000 miles and not covered under warranty? If you still have warranty, it should be covered under warranty.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0