Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Electrify America fast charging locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

reddy

Jan 26, 2013
Amarillo, TX
AMARILLO

Just found a surprise at the local Sam's Club at Westgate Parkway in west Amarillo.

Behind a fenced off area (with dark plastic, to prevent peeking inside) were 4 Electrify American units with CCS and Chademo plugs on them. They appear to be a couple weeks from completion, and they don't show up on the Electrify America site map yet.

This is about 1 mile from the Tesla supercharger , so not much reason for Teslas to come here, BUT if the supercharger site is down, then this could be an excellent Plan B if you have a Chademo adapter.

Google Maps

IMO, a better location would be LUBBOCK, which has no Tesla chargers at all, and would bridge Amarillo to Sweetwater or Midland.

Reactions: Dana1
AMARILLO

Just found a surprise at the local Sam's Club at Westgate Parkway in west Amarillo.

Behind a fenced off area (with dark plastic, to prevent peeking inside) were 4 Electrify American units with CCS and Chademo plugs on them. They appear to be a couple weeks from completion, and they don't show up on the Electrify America site map yet.

This is about 1 mile from the Tesla supercharger , so not much reason for Teslas to come here, BUT if the supercharger site is down, then this could be an excellent Plan B if you have a Chademo adapter.

Google Maps

IMO, a better location would be LUBBOCK, which has no Tesla chargers at all, and would bridge Amarillo to Sweetwater or Midland.
Does it only accommodate 4 vehicles at once? I was wondering how many stalls Electrify America is planning installing at their locations.

Does it only accommodate 4 vehicles at once? I was wondering how many stalls Electrify America is planning installing at their locations.

The site isn't done yet. I only saw 4 stalls. Perhaps there will be more.

In comparison to the Tesla crews that installed the Shamrock and Amarillo SCs, this job is a lot more disorganized, and talking to the workers made it clear that none of them had any experience in EV charger installation. The Tesla jobs typically only had 3- 4 men at a time and they all knew what they were doing. This appeared to have 5, with 1 knowing what they were doing.

Volkswagen is throwing stupid money at these chargers. $1.2 billion will be invested nationwide and not including California. It's also stupid expensive. It's 34 cents a kw here with $1.00 hook up fee. That does not include the tax. So, for driving a Model X 300 miles would cost approx $40.00 based on the current pricing.
Welcome to Electrify America | Commitment

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
So 2 stalls. Not nearly enough to be useful in a place with any significant density of EVs

This was all they had unboxed. There appeared 4 charger cabinets , and more boxes that were unopened.

If I40, including Amarillo, is being provisioned with 350 kW level CCS, that would a large competitive threat. Charging that is 3 x faster than Tesla would be appealing. Yes Tesla was first. Betamax was first, too. Motorola was first.

Here's my list of Electrify America projects in Texas based on their linked filings under Texas accessibility laws. Format is: City (# of charging stations) -- Address

Several of these were listed by RMC Surveying as work being done for Tesla on the utility survey requests. This explains why we’ve seen so many survey requests never result in a supercharger— they we’re actually for EA.

Last edited:
Several of these were listed by RMC Surveying as work being done for Tesla on the utikity survey requests. This explains why we’ve seen so many survey requests never result in a supercharger— they we’re actually for EA.

Yes, I've seen the Dig Tess requests, and MANY of them list Tesla as who the work is done for, when it's not Tesla at all.

Makes you wonder how they could get clients confused like that, unless it was intentional.

with so many of them like that, I have no doubt that it was intentional
Relax man. That's not how things work in the real world. Spend a bit of time trying to internalize Hanlon's razor.

I can almost guarantee you that this happened for 1 of 3 reasons. Either because whoever is filling out the forms had a template for something like "EV Fast Charging Station" jobs where, by starting with most of the fields already filled out or marked, they only had to change the address and location description. So, then they ended up using the same template for 2 different companies and forgetting that one of the fields that came already filled in the template was the company name. OR the person doing these filings is in a low enough position that they don't really understand that there is a difference between Tesla and EA fast charging stations. OR because the company had done so many of the same jobs for Tesla, the colloquial terminology for "EV fast charging stations" jobs within the company became something like "Tesla charger" jobs and as a result the person mistakenly put Tesla on all the forms. etc.

Relax man. That's not how things work in the real world. Spend a bit of time trying to internalize Hanlon's razor.

I can almost guarantee you that this happened for 1 of 3 reasons. Either because whoever is filling out the forms had a template for something like "EV Fast Charging Station" jobs where, by starting with most of the fields already filled out or marked, they only had to change the address and location description. So, then they ended up using the same template for 2 different companies and forgetting that one of the fields that came already filled in the template was the company name. OR the person doing these filings is in a low enough position that they don't really understand that there is a difference between Tesla and EA fast charging stations. OR because the company had done so many of the same jobs for Tesla, the colloquial terminology for "EV fast charging stations" jobs within the company became something like "Tesla charger" jobs and as a result the person mistakenly put Tesla on all the forms. etc.
I’m fully chill
My Model 3 isn’t likely to be able to use any of the EA points until Tesla make an adapter, so I’m in no rush :)

IIRC they specifically prevent adapters in the CCS specs for non CCS.

The cut and paste approach makes sense. That’s why we see medical records on women documenting the size of their testicles.

Shaggy, somebody better reach out to these fellas who are making and selling adapters.

SALE!! European to US CCS Combo 2 to CCS Combo 1 EV Quick Charger Adapter
"... for non CCS."

That said it could very well be an urban myth. I've seen it mentioned a number of times but have never been able to find a detailed explanation. How such a prohibition would be enforced. Or if it is device patent based, if it was a condition for Tesla to be in the CCS club (they are on the list of companies in the body that owns the standard) that they not support it? Or it could be just a very low priority for Tesla with all the work it entails and how so far a CCS option would provide so little over the already completed ChaDEMO.

Remember it is far more than the physical adaptor to make CCS work on a Tesla, Tesla has to implement the communication protocol and my understanding is that's fairly complicated, even if it's going to be just a limited portion of the protocol as CCS has a HUGE set of options for the protocol but most of which aren't used in the real world yet (there's suppose to be things in there for allowing power company roaming (think like you cell phone, where your charging cost can appear on your electrical bill on the other side of the country).

EDIT: Oh, and I shutter at what the adaptor would look like. A hulking mass dangling out the corner of the vehicle. I would LOVE if my Bolt's port was a Tesla port instead from just an aesthetics POV. Even just for use in place of the J-1772 it's so much nicer.

Last edited: