Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have Jenifer, she has been OK so far. I'm actually HOPING to get my payment and delivery delayed as long as possible because my car is ready and I have a VIN (30xxx) but I'm not back in Austin until August 18th so hopefully she causes some delays haha.

Also, can someone explain how the taxes work? I was always under the impression that we would be paying Texas state tax, but it looks like the calculations for my "final payment" are California?

Looking forward to seeing our Texas fleet of M3's!

Glad to hear she hasn’t been too bad for you. The whole thing is really based on you. If you want to delay delivery for a bit just take your time doing the required steps.
So if you finish everything by the 3rd of 6th, you can probably take delivery the 18th/20th.
I just finished everything up last Thursday (7/5) and Jenifer gave me a reserved delivery date of 7/20. I called today just to confirm delivery and checked on the status of my car.
They said my car was on the ground a andbwas out for cleaning. I requested delivery get moved up and was given the 17th no problem. ☺️

As far as taxes, it’s rolled into the final payment of the car. The paperwork makes it sound like it’s not but it is.
I was expecting to have to go and pay taxes after delivery but that’s not the case, Tesla takes care of that for you.

Today, my M3 deliver estimate just moved up one full month from "Sept 18 - Nov 18" to "Aug 18 to Oct 18".

I reserved in March 2018 and configured near the end of June. The final agreement is available and my payment portal is ready for the ACH payment. Man, that was quicker than I ever thought possible. And here we goooooo!

Reactions: Dr. J and geoffreak
Just wanted to post an update for any of you guys in Texas who are working still trying to get their Model 3s.

Reserved 04/01/16 and configured 06/27. Got the contact email and VIN on 7/3. Was actually stoked about that until I got to work with my ISA, whom I personally feel has been very slow to move things to the point where we just finally wrapped up the purchase today 7/16. The short story is that they put the wrong credit union in the MVPA, which took a few days for them to update, on top of waiting another few days for another document my credit union needed from them. All in all, that was about 2 weeks.

I finally got a delivery date confirmation today from my ISA scheduled for 08/06, exactly 3 weeks from today and 5 weeks from the day I got my VIN. Can someone who financed their car tell me whether this whole time frame is normal and that I’m just being impatient?

A part of this is to vent about Texas laws. As you all may know, we don’t have the luxury like other states of being able to schedule delivery ahead of time which lets you relax while you work out the purchase details.

Here, they cannot even discuss scheduling the shipment of the car until it is fully paid. So you would think they would at least try to expedite the purchase process itself so they can work on getting it shipped to you which is where the real wait begins. But for the past two weeks, I had no idea when the heck I was even going to get the car. I can only imagine how much worse it can get now that everything is ramped up.

#endrant

Just wanted to post an update for any of you guys in Texas who are working still trying to get their Model 3s.

Reserved 04/01/16 and configured 06/27. Got the contact email and VIN on 7/3. Was actually stoked about that until I got to work with my ISA, whom I personally feel has been very slow to move things to the point where we just finally wrapped up the purchase today 7/16. The short story is that they put the wrong credit union in the MVPA, which took a few days for them to update, on top of waiting another few days for another document my credit union needed from them. All in all, that was about 2 weeks.

I finally got a delivery date confirmation today from my ISA scheduled for 08/06, exactly 3 weeks from today and 5 weeks from the day I got my VIN. Can someone who financed their car tell me whether this whole time frame is normal and that I’m just being impatient?

A part of this is to vent about Texas laws. As you all may know, we don’t have the luxury like other states of being able to schedule delivery ahead of time which lets you relax while you work out the purchase details.

Here, they cannot even discuss scheduling the shipment of the car until it is fully paid. So you would think they would at least try to expedite the purchase process itself so they can work on getting it shipped to you which is where the real wait begins. But for the past two weeks, I had no idea when the heck I was even going to get the car. I can only imagine how much worse it can get now that everything is ramped up.

#endrant

I just got done with this process on my X. I placed the order on 6/1, received a VIN on about 6/12-15. My first DS was no longer at the company, which would explain why his correspondence was non-existent. My replacement DS has been amazing. She's very responsive and keeps me up to date with everything. I got a pro-forma MVPA to secure a loan with Alliant (I'm really flustered by the way they deal with your loan, but that's another story). Once that was good, I gave that info to my DS and she basically took care of the rest. I told her that I didn't want to fund the vehicle until it was in the absolute final stages of production, because I did not want to start a loan and risk having to make a first payment before I even received the car.

She noted that, and reached out to me last week to basically finalize the loan. Honestly, you won't be able to progress too far in the financing phase right away, because they won't finalize your loan without an MVPA (pro-forma doesn't count) and you won't get that until you're part way through production.

You really will have no good idea when you'll get the car until it at least enters production. They always told me end of July, but nothing was remotely final until this past week. Now my X is waiting in the HUB waiting to go on a truck now that it's been funded.

I think you're still a ways away from getting any kind of date nailed down, so don't worry about it. You'll have plenty of time to finalize paperwork once your car begins production. Just make sure you've secured your lender and are pre-approved to make sure you don't experience delays. If you don't, then your car will sit in the factory until they receive funding.

Good luck!

April 1st reservation holder (around 2pm CST)
Invitation to configure June 27th
First contact from ISA (Chris B.) July 3rd saying vehicle was ready
Payment ACH'ed from UFCU July 13th
ISA is stating payment still has not been received

So far my experience with the ordering process and dealing with my ISA has been sub-par at best. Not nearly as bad (yet) as some of the situations I've read through in this thread. Posting how my process is going for others to see.

I don't get what your complaint is. I see no untoward delay in your experience (yet). it takes 2-3 days to process the CU payment and the weekend doesn't count.

my m3 purchase experience (in Houston) was excellent as I think it has been for the majority of buyers. people don't often post their positive experiences - negative comments on a forum are rarely representative.

of course buying a tesla in Texas would be much easier without "campaign contributions" from auto dealers.

Not really complaining much. My experience has been in line with quasimoto's post above (Texas Hold Up!).

It took 11 days to get my MVPA compared to the original estimate of 48-72 hours that my ISA had told me. I had my pre-approval ready since June 27th to speed the process along.

My 'sub-par' experience has been lackluster communication on the ISA's end. Things tended to not progress unless I made contact asking why the process wasn't being pushed along, but that could just be coincidence.

#endrant

Pretty much the same exact setup as me Quasimoto.

04/01/16 reservation
06/27/18 configuration
07/16/18 delivery date setup
08/06/18 scheduled delivery

Maybe we'll run into each other.

As a side note, my delivery appointment shows up in my Tesla account dashboard, but still seeing the following message in the attached image.

Same experience for you Quasimoto, or have you gotten updated messaging?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 1.09.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 1.09.19 PM.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 43
April 1st reservation holder (around 2pm CST)
Invitation to configure June 27th
First contact from ISA (Chris B.) July 3rd saying vehicle was ready
Payment ACH'ed from UFCU July 13th
ISA is stating payment still has not been received

So far my experience with the ordering process and dealing with my ISA has been sub-par at best. Not nearly as bad (yet) as some of the situations I've read through in this thread. Posting how my process is going for others to see.
Pretty much the same exact setup as me Quasimoto.

04/01/16 reservation
06/27/18 configuration
07/16/18 delivery date setup
08/06/18 scheduled delivery

Maybe we'll run into each other.

As a side note, my delivery appointment shows up in my Tesla account dashboard, but still seeing the following message in the attached image.

Same experience for you Quasimoto, or have you gotten updated messaging?

Howdy ya’ll.. or is it y’all??

Yes, it shows up like that on my account. :)

Anyways, that previous rant actually relieved some stress. After some self-reflection, I figured I waited almost 2 and a half years, what’s another 3 weeks? My feelings toward the whole process still stands though.

They really need to either hire more people, or overhaul the whole process. The current system is basically a lottery. You can get someone great, or someone who rarely returns your calls and emails. Just look at the previous pages on this thread and you’ll see just how drastic the variation of peoples’ experiences are.

Maybe instead of being tied to one specific ISA from beginning to end, just make it like an assembly line where you work with someone specializing in one specific area and then move on to the next (i.e. trade-ins, document signing, financing/purchasing, deliveries).

I’m sure those ISAs are probably being overworked. I read somewhere on these forums or maybe r/TeslaMotors that each ISA is actively working with about 60 people simultaneously which explains their oversight with my MVPA that caused the delay.

I’m not asking to be treated like royalty here. I’m just saying there definitely needs to be more accountability for slow-responding ISAs, especially considering they’re essentially your gatekeeper to your vehicle.

On a side note, for the heck of it I decided to call my local delivery center, Austin Pond Springs. After asking for my VIN, the guy said that the car would most likely be delivered by the end of the month and if it did, I’d be able to schedule an earlier delivery with them.

Last edited:
Howdy ya’ll.. or is it y’all??

Yes, it shows up like that on my account. :)

Anyways, that previous rant actually relieved some stress. After some self-reflection, I figured I waited almost 2 and a half years, what’s another 3 weeks? My feelings toward the whole process still stands though.

They really need to either hire more people, or overhaul the whole process. The current system is basically a lottery. You can get someone great, or someone who rarely returns your calls and emails. Just look at the previous pages on this thread and you’ll see just how drastic the variation of peoples’ experiences are.

Maybe instead of being tied to one specific ISA from beginning to end, just make it like an assembly line where you work with someone specializing in one specific area and then move on to the next (i.e. trade-ins, document signing, financing/purchasing, deliveries).

I’m sure those ISAs are probably being overworked. I read somewhere on these forums or maybe r/TeslaMotors that each ISA is actively working with about 60 people simultaneously which explains their oversight with my MVPA that caused the delay.

I’m not asking to be treated like royalty here. I’m just saying there definitely needs to be more accountability for slow-responding ISAs, especially considering they’re essentially your gatekeeper to your vehicle.

On a side note, for the heck of it I decided to call my local delivery center, Austin Pond Springs. After asking for my VIN, the guy said that the car would most likely be delivered by the end of the month and if it did, I’d be able to schedule an earlier delivery with them.

I agree with most of your points. In my situation, there were a few two-three day lapses in response to simple questions that I had, which if were answered promptly probably would've cut my MVPA generation time by quite a bit.

Pond Springs is the only delivery center I believe in Austin, which is of course where mine is scheduled to be delivered on 08/06 as well. I'll have to give them a ring in a week or so to see where it's at to try and schedule an earlier delivery. Thanks for the tip!

I agree with most of your points. In my situation, there were a few two-three day lapses in response to simple questions that I had, which if were answered promptly probably would've cut my MVPA generation time by quite a bit.

Pond Springs is the only delivery center I believe in Austin, which is of course where mine is scheduled to be delivered on 08/06 as well. I'll have to give them a ring in a week or so to see where it's at to try and schedule an earlier delivery. Thanks for the tip!

I too had a poor pre-delivery experience. After the delivery the Austin SC team has been great. I had it in the shop for a few things and they gave daily status reports which was highly appreciative even though they were not able to address everything. It felt good knowing they were working on it and it wasn't just sitting in a lot somewhere.

The pre-delivery could use a similar process, once per day at the end of the day so we aren't left wonder where the hold up is, just as simple as "checked in with the trade in team, they have all the info they need, will get to yours before the end of the week", "checked in with legal they have your signed document and will likely get to it next Monday when they return to the offices", or "checked with finance and the ACH hasn't cleared yet, usually it takes a few business days", instead of making the buyer reach out and effectively communicate with a black hole.

In short, once you get it in Austin I think you'll be happier with "Tesla"

David