Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does it for you, that's what the document fee you are paying is for. The FedEx envelope you receive just before delivery contains all the Texas titling documents that require your signature along with a limited power of attorney document where you allow Tesla to title and register the car for you.

I've seen it posted elsewhere that it is highly likely that you will go through two temporary tags before your permanent plates arrive. If Tesla can't get registration done within the time period of the first temporary plate they email a second one for you to print and use.

Thanks hmerrill3, that is my understanding as well. What I would like to try and understand is the process Tesla uses to transfer the cars to us without violating Texas law and whether the process has changed recently. Or whether problems may have come up with the process they used before and they are scrambling. It seems to me that something other than logistics delays is part of the problem.

Last edited:
Are you sure it is in Fremont CA and not Lathrop?

I'm seeing 4 M3's in route to Austin 60806, 51372, 47647, 63876 along with a MS. Plus two others "Pending", meaning they have been tagged for delivery & just not picked up yet; 57334 & 75331.

There are 89 Model 3's in Fremont currently that have been tagged pending pickup bound for Lathroup. That's just the queue from what I've seen delivery's from the factory are practically happening 24/7.

I am not sure. My ISA said it “looks” to still be in Fremont. My VIN is in the low 40k’s.

Tesla does it for you, that's what the document fee you are paying is for. The FedEx envelope you receive just before delivery contains all the Texas titling documents that require your signature along with a limited power of attorney document where you allow Tesla to title and register the car for you.

I've seen it posted elsewhere that it is highly likely that you will go through two temporary tags before your permanent plates arrive. If Tesla can't get registration done within the time period of the first temporary plate they email a second one for you to print and use.

The N Houston DC had a laminated 30 day plate on my M3 when I picked it up 8 days ago, and the flip side is another 30 day temp tag. There were both temp registrations in my paperwork folder. On sept 8 I just flip it over and then call EZ tag to update the plate number.

So i went down the street and took some pics of the BNSF rail hub here in OKC(just south of Tinker AFB) I even took a pic of their charging method I think you all will enjoy. I estimate there were about 200 cars there and this morning(Sunday 8/26) there were 2 guys cycling cars through the charging area. I wasn’t allowed in and my pics were taken from the street through the fence topped with barb wire.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7E7ua4ejc1J8ZN726

More sleuthing, looks like BNSF auto facilities are a common method for shipping. I've seen Texas delivery tickets mentioning a BNSF facility in IL and the OKC facility is also BNSF as well.

Makes me think the "Dallas" location I'm stuck in is actually Fort Worth (Don't tell anyone from FW they'll be pissed)
BNSF Alliance Vehicle Facility
1001 Railhead Drive
Fort Worth, TX 76177​

Can anyone confirm?

• Informative
Reactions: SleepingLesson
More sleuthing, looks like BNSF auto facilities are a common method for shipping. I've seen Texas delivery tickets mentioning a BNSF facility in IL and the OKC facility is also BNSF as well.

Makes me think the "Dallas" location I'm stuck in is actually Fort Worth (Don't tell anyone from FW they'll be pissed)
BNSF Alliance Vehicle Facility
1001 Railhead Drive
Fort Worth, TX 76177​

Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm that a whole bunch of cars are waiting in the BNSF hub near Alliance Airport, based on my talk yesterday with a manager at Cedar Springs. They use Chicago, OKC and Fort Worth to stage the cars now.

So i went down the street and took some pics of the BNSF rail hub here in OKC(just south of Tinker AFB) I even took a pic of their charging method I think you all will enjoy. I estimate there were about 200 cars there and this morning(Sunday 8/26) there were 2 guys cycling cars through the charging area. I wasn’t allowed in and my pics were taken from the street through the fence topped with barb wire.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7E7ua4ejc1J8ZN726

Thanks, @jprac80. Seeing evidence of activity in that lot is reassuring. Based on Tesla telling me that my car is just 5-6 hours away, and with that lot being a 5 1/2 hour trip from Austin, I bet that's where mine is.

Wonder why some of the cars are covered and some are not? Guess they are wrapped for the journey from CA, then unwrapped & charged and made ready before a truck takes them to the service center?

Thanks, @jprac80. Seeing evidence of activity in that lot is reassuring. Based on Tesla telling me that my car is just 5-6 hours away, and with that lot being a 5 1/2 hour trip from Austin, I bet that's where mine is.

Wonder why some of the cars are covered and some are not? Guess they are wrapped for the journey from CA, then unwrapped & charged and made ready before a truck takes them to the service center?

I saw a truck here in Houston carrying new ICE cars and only the 'exposed' vehicles at the front and top had the white plastic stuck on them

So much information here, thank you all for sharing and posting pics. I am scheduled for a 9/8 delivery in Cedar Springs (very low expectation it will happen). Full payment cleared on 8/16. I tried the Unitedroad route to check where my car is but could not register even with a delivered Cedar Springs VIN.

My VIN is 77016, can anyone help locate where it is right now? Last week on 8/22 the DC said it is still in CA. Thanks a lot for the help.

@Phantom_im,

My full payment cleared on 8/13 and MVPA signed on 8/14, originally scheduled for delivery on 8/28 at Cedar Springs but got rescheduled to 9/4.

I called CS on 8/22 and was told the car was still in the CA holding area and too early to tell if still on track for 9/4. I called on 8/25 again and was told it has a 'load assigned' to the car and is looking good for 9/4 based on his experience. At this point I'll take it with a grain of salt…

I think our cars might be in the same batch coming to Dallas.

@Phantom_im,

My full payment cleared on 8/13 and MVPA signed on 8/14, originally scheduled for delivery on 8/28 at Cedar Springs but got rescheduled to 9/4.

I called CS on 8/22 and was told the car was still in the CA holding area and too early to tell if still on track for 9/4. I called on 8/25 again and was told it has a 'load assigned' to the car and is looking good for 9/4 based on his experience. At this point I'll take it with a grain of salt…

I think our cars might be in the same batch coming to Dallas.

My car arrived in the Fort Worth rail hub on 8/21, one week before my scheduled delivery of 8/28 at Cedar Springs. My DA wants to push the delivery to mid-September to be safe. My car is approx. 35 miles away and Tesla cannot give me a firm date to deliver the car.

Just an FYI for everybody that has been delayed. I purchased insurance 2 weeks ago when I made my final payment and signed my MPVA, I called my insurance agent Friday and told him my vehicle was delayed. He back dated and canceled my policy so that I would not be charged until my vehicle arrived. Yes, Tesla should cover this but at this point who knows.

Thanks, I'll do this too. I already started making payments for a car which I don't have..

Reactions: amietk
My car arrived in the Fort Worth rail hub on 8/21, one week before my scheduled delivery of 8/28 at Cedar Springs. My DA wants to push the delivery to mid-September to be safe. My car is approx. 35 miles away and Tesla cannot give me a firm date to deliver the car.
Just curious, who do you know your car's location and date it arrived there? Not questioning your statements just wanting to know your information source.

Just curious, who do you know your car's location and date it arrived there? Not questioning your statements just wanting to know your information source.

No problem. When I called my delivery center (Cedar Springs), I asked the rep to ping the car for its location. I did this for about a week and tracked it on rail. It was stuck in Amarillo for three days before it arrived in Fort Worth on Aug. 21. I paid cash for the car on Aug. 9.

North Houston not as helpful, didn't even indicate they could do that. Did they also tell you your ship date from CA. Wondering if cars were on the same load though I paid by cash by cashiers check on July 23rd. I was told it was shipped on Aug 9 but it's not clear from where.

Just looked at the Tesla Factory on Google Earth, they had two separate sets of rail spurs for loading cars onto trains... until they tore them out in 2016 and 2017. Smart.