Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas legislative issues/Operation Silent Thunder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will also be attending the NCTCOG (North Central Texas Council of Governments) EVNT meeting tomorrow in Arlington. I'll try to steer them in the Special Plates direction as well as perhaps a weight tax.

A weight tax would be great but doubt that will happen. They won't want to penalize people driving pickup trucks.
Since the car has to be inspected each year, why not a mileage tax that also incorporates weight?

I will also be attending the NCTCOG (North Central Texas Council of Governments) EVNT meeting tomorrow in Arlington. I'll try to steer them in the Special Plates direction as well as perhaps a weight tax.

Stealing your post from the Dallas Service Center thread, but using this link to email all of our state officials seems like a good idea. According to that page, something less than 1.5k characters stands the most chance of being read, so does anyone have something we could use as a template? I would offer, but I'm English, so I'd use all the wrong words, though I could throw in a y'all here and there.

Sorry that my last post derailed the topic. But I was just trying to express my solidarity. I agree that Texas is not promoting a free market system by continuing to prop up an antiquated system. So you can count me in... I will need at least 2 weeks warning before any Austin meeting to adjust my schedule. Also, If it is before March 5, I will need a charge the second I arrive in Austin, because that is the farthest I've ever driven in my Roadster, and I barely make it. However, after March 5, I believe I can make it in my Model S without difficulty. :biggrin:

This is just a preliminary date still but would March 1st work for anyone else? It might still change. Have to check with legislative staff too.

Does anyone know how to get ahold of Sublimaze1? He turned off his PM function.

Dave

I have a contact email address at Tesla (someone from ownership team) who said to pass along his email address to legislative staff members seeking more information. Can PM me and I'll pass it along. Thanks.

The plan is March 1st.

I was thinking some could meet for lunch then hang out from 1-5PM at a parking lot near the Capitol. I'm working with Matt in Sen. Campbell's office to get DPS to block off spots for us. I figured some owners could go to various office of members whose staff can't leave to visit us while others hang out and watch the cars.

This is tentative but who might be able to make it?

We need to develop a slick looking handout to leave with the various offices. Anyone good at that kind of graphic design thing? We could always just do something simple on Word.
Also need to hear back from Tesla about exactly what part of the law is the problem and what specifically was want changed. I have a feeling this is all a tall order.

Here is an email I received today from my state senator's office. I can't make it on March 1, but I hope someone will try to visit him.

Senator Carona asked me to get back with you regarding the sale of Tesla vehicles with or without dealerships in Texas. He has looked at several different ways to approach the problem but so far has not been able to come up with one that would enable Internet sales of Tesla vehicles without changing the regulatory model for other auto manufacturers, which would mobilize the new car dealers in opposition and make the bill unpassable this session. He is interested in keeping tabs on the issue, so if you would keep me posted as new information becomes available that would be much appreciated.
Best wishes,

Steven Polunsky, Director
Senate Committee on Business and Commerce
Senator John Carona, Chair

[email protected]

Here is an email I received today from my state senator's office. I can't make it on March 1, but I hope someone will try to visit him.

Senator Carona asked me to get back with you regarding the sale of Tesla vehicles with or without dealerships in Texas. He has looked at several different ways to approach the problem but so far has not been able to come up with one that would enable Internet sales of Tesla vehicles without changing the regulatory model for other auto manufacturers, which would mobilize the new car dealers in opposition and make the bill unpassable this session. He is interested in keeping tabs on the issue, so if you would keep me posted as new information becomes available that would be much appreciated.
Best wishes,

Steven Polunsky, Director
Senate Committee on Business and Commerce
Senator John Carona, Chair

[email protected]

So just because he would be going against the entrenched dealership lobby he cops out to even attempting to sponser a bill? Talk about representating all of his constituency...

I enjoyed meeting the crew today! We had perfect weather, walked the halls, pounded the pavement, told our stories--even met the 'enemy' (the lobbyist for dealers association, although he was a nice guy, and seemed to like Tesla despite his job). Next time we'll do a better job of aligning the cars so the photo looks better. :)

DSC07367s.jpg

Thanks to David for organizing!

Last edited:
So a bill has been introduced in the current session to address this issue:

ftp://ftp.legis.state.tx.us/bills/83R/billtext/html/senate_bills/SB01600_SB01699/SB01659I.htm

By: Estes S.B. No. 1659

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to manufacturers and distributors of only all
electric-powered or all battery-powered motor vehicles.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 2301.476, Occupations Code, is amended
by adding subsection (i-1) to read as follows:
(i-1) Notwithstanding the terms of this chapter, and
subject to the limitations set forth in this subsection, a
manufacturer of only all electric-powered or all battery-powered
motor vehicles, or a distributor of only all electric-powered or
all battery-powered motor vehicles, that (i) owned and operated a
new motor vehicle dealership in the United States on or before March
1, 2013, and (ii) has never sold its line make in the United States
through an independent franchised new motor vehicle dealership, may
own or operate a dealer or dealership, or act in the capacity of a
dealer, at any location within the state and may obtain a dealer
general distinguishing number under Section 503.029 of the
Transportation Code.
SECTION 2. Section 2301.252(a), Occupations Code, is
amended by adding subsection (a)(3) to read as follows:
(a) A person may not engage in the business of buying,
selling, or exchanging new motor vehicles unless the person:
(1) holds a franchised dealer's license issued under
this chapter for the make of a new motor vehicle being bought, sold,
or exchanged; or
(2) is a bona fide employee of the holder of a
franchised dealer's license; or
(3) is a bona fide employee of a manufacturer or
distributor authorized to own or operate a dealer or dealership
pursuant to § 2301.476(i-1).
SECTION 3. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives
a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this
Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
Act takes effect September 1, 2013.

It is up for public testimony on Wednesday, 4/3/13 at 8am in the transportation committee.