Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas registration issues and steps to navigate them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if that's a requirement to get the incentive. The relevant section of the law says:
Sec. 386.160. COMMISSION [COMPTROLLER] TO ACCOUNT FOR MOTOR
VEHICLE PURCHASE OR LEASE INCENTIVES. (a) The commission

[comptroller] by rule shall develop a method to administer and
account for the motor vehicle purchase or lease incentives
authorized by this subchapter and to pay incentive money to the
purchaser or lessee of a new motor vehicle, on application of the
purchaser or lessee as provided by this subchapter.
(b) The commission [comptroller] shall develop and publish
forms and instructions for the purchaser or lessee of a new motor
vehicle to use in applying to the commission [comptroller] for an
incentive payment under this subchapter. The commission
[comptroller] shall make the forms available to new motor vehicle
dealers and leasing agents. Dealers and leasing agents shall make

the forms available to their prospective purchasers or lessees.

I think it may depend on how the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality writes the rules. The purchaser makes the application and the incentive gets paid to the purchaser. It sounds like the dealer is mentioned to facilitate that process but it's unclear if the dealer is mandatory. The forms should be publicly available, not just distributed to auto dealers.

The TCEQ rule-making will likely be the next battleground between Tesla and the Texas auto dealers, assuming someone at Tesla is monitoring this.

We got the same paper tag from California but it was also deemed to be not valid in Texas

Just an FYI if anyone gives you that nonsense, ALL 50 states have reciprocity agreements so the temp tags are valid in all 50 states. Now California has a few different types... a Dealer paper temp in the front or rear window (dumb) ... a Red square in the rear window (used IN Cali only and would birtually never be used on a new car) and a Blue paper tag in the front window.

1 and 2 are good for at least 30 days. 3 is good ONLY TO DRIVE TO A SPECIFIC ADDRESS OUTSIDE THE STATE,

But all 3 are VALID in all 50 states.

- - - Updated - - -

We got the same paper tag from California but it was also deemed to be not valid in Texas

Just an FYI if anyone gives you that nonsense, ALL 50 states have reciprocity agreements so the temp tags are valid in all 50 states. Now California has a few different types... a Dealer paper temp in the front or rear window (dumb) ... a Red square in the rear window (used IN Cali only and would birtually never be used on a new car) and a Blue paper tag in the front window.

1 and 2 are good for at least 30 days. 3 is good ONLY TO DRIVE TO A SPECIFIC ADDRESS OUTSIDE THE STATE,

But all 3 are VALID in all 50 states.

I am not a lawyer but one thing I read in there which concerns me is that it says only one incentive would be given...so I could be wrong about this but it sounds like since you already get the $7,500 off that you can't get both incentives.

Hmmm, anyone know this for a fact? It would seem no one would get it then. I'm surprised more Texas buyers don't know about this one...

One is federal and the other is state though. Doesn't seem to apply to EVs anyway.
Yes it applies to EVs:
(c)A new light-duty motor vehicle powered by electric drive
is eligible for a $2,500 incentive if the vehicle:
(1) has four wheels;
(2)was manufactured for use primarily on public
streets, roads, and highways;
(3)has not been modified from the original
manufacturer's specifications;
(4)is rated at not more than 8,500 pounds unloaded
vehicle weight;
(5)has a maximum speed capability of at least 55 miles
per hour;
(6)is propelled to a significant extent by an
electric motor that draws electricity from a battery that:
(A)has a capacity of not less than four kilowatt
hours; and
(B)is capable of being recharged from an
external source of electricity; and
(7)was acquired on or after September 1, 2013, or a
later date as established by the commission, by the person applying
for the incentive under this subsection and for use or lease by that
person and not for resale.
(d)The incentive under Subsection (c) is limited to 2,000
vehicles for the state fiscal biennium beginning September 1, 2013.

Yes it applies to EVs:
(c)A new light-duty motor vehicle powered by electric drive

is eligible for a $2,500 incentive if the vehicle:

(1) has four wheels;

(2)was manufactured for use primarily on public

streets, roads, and highways;

(3)has not been modified from the original

manufacturer's specifications;

(4)is rated at not more than 8,500 pounds unloaded

vehicle weight;

(5)has a maximum speed capability of at least 55 miles

per hour;

(6)is propelled to a significant extent by an

electric motor that draws electricity from a battery that:

(A)has a capacity of not less than four kilowatt

hours; and

(B)is capable of being recharged from an

external source of electricity; and

(7)was acquired on or after September 1, 2013, or a

later date as established by the commission, by the person applying

for the incentive under this subsection and for use or lease by that

person and not for resale.

(d)The incentive under Subsection (c) is limited to 2,000

vehicles for the state fiscal biennium beginning September 1, 2013.

OKAY, so it's a $7,500 Federal tax credit (assuming you owe that much), plus $2500 TX Credit (but since there are no State income taxes in Texas, how is this factored, and where do we get the forms)?

So $10K credit in Texas?? Why don't the Tesla folks at the store in Austin know this?

Can someone please clarify for us Texas folks :confused:

OKAY, so it's a $7,500 Federal tax credit (assuming you owe that much), plus $2500 TX Credit (but since there are no State income taxes in Texas, how is this factored, and where do we get the forms)?

So $10K credit in Texas?? Why don't the Tesla folks at the store in Austin know this?

Can someone please clarify for us Texas folks :confused:
Presumably we're waiting on the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to release the paperwork. The Texas credit is issued in the form of a rebate / incentive, not a credit, so you presumably don't have to have Texas taxes to get the credit. IMO, the legislation reads like Dealers are responsible for administering the paperwork -- I hope that's not the case.

I don't know why Tesla in Austin doesn't know. I told them, and Tesla legal in CA about it and sent them copies of the legislation.

Presumably we're waiting on the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to release the paperwork. The Texas credit is issued in the form of a rebate / incentive, not a credit, so you presumably don't have to have Texas taxes to get the credit. IMO, the legislation reads like Dealers are responsible for administering the paperwork -- I hope that's not the case.

TCEQ--one of the worst (bureaucratic) State agencies there is--it's like putting IRS in charge. We'll never get a straight or real answer.

And yes, if 'dealers' are in charge of paperwork then we'll NEVER see a rebate, so worthless.

Tesla needs to get on this ASAP.

Last edited: