Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas registration issues and steps to navigate them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to confirm, Texas allows you to get plates without having the car inspected. Two separate processes.

Good to know. Things have changed. In 2008, I brought in a car from South Carolina and was not able to complete the transaction (taxes, registration, plates) until I had the green sheet. I believe I had posted some old information in this thread, so I stand corrected.

WJ

Just to confirm, Texas allows you to get plates without having the car inspected. Two separate processes. I don't know what would happen if you got stopped on the way to getting it inspected, but as long as you were respectful to the cop, I'm thinking you would just get a warning, especially if you showed them you just got the car that day and told them that you were getting it inspected later that day.

I'm not too worried about that. I drove for a few months without an inspection sticker not all that long ago (I did have a current registration sticker). It was the driving to the inspection station with no plates that I was concerned with.

I have been thinking ... if California sends the car with that small sticker in the front window, why not take the data, put it on a license-plate sized firm paper (well made, computer printer, etc.) and slap it on the back. You get pulled, you produce the actual California document that supports the temp tag. I would doubt that there are any osifers (officers) here who have too much knowledge of California temporary registration plates. ????

Texas Delivery & Registration Process

So here's the process following the "finalize" step (as I see it at this point, based on various reports):

1. Tesla contacts you with VIN and shipment date, advises of balance due.
  2. You pay the balance due.
  3. About a week or two prior to shipment, Tesla sends you some California paperwork to sign.
  4. You return it to Tesla
  5. Prior to shipment (hopefully), Tesla sends you the Certificate of Origin, Texas Application for Title and other paperwork. (If not, see below.)
  6. You file the Application for Title with your County Tax Office, pay the sales tax, show proof of insurance and get your registration sticker and license plates (temp or otherwise).
  7. Your vehicle is delivered. You attach license plate(s) and go get a state inspection.
  8. You receive your Texas Title in the mail sometime later.

Note: If you get the car before you get the Texas paperwork to register it, you can get temporary tags at the DMV for $25 to allow you to drive the car for up to 30 days.

JAK

Last edited:
So here's the process following the "finalize" step (as I see it at this point, based on various reports):

3. About a week or two prior to shipment, Tesla sends you the Certificate of Origin and other paperwork.
  4. You get insurance and file the Application for Title with your County Tax Office, pay the sales tax, and get your registration sticker and license plates (temp or otherwise).
  5. Your vehicle is delivered. You attach license plate(s) and go get a state inspection.
  6. You receive your Texas Title in the mail sometime later.
I hope someone who has gone through this process in Texas in the past week or two will verify/comment.

JAK

Thanks TXjak. That summary will do nicely.

(until Texas goes all Massachusetts on us and starts filing injunctions on registration!)

3. About a week or two prior to shipment, Tesla sends you the Certificate of Origin and other paperwork.
  4. You get insurance and file the Application for Title with your County Tax Office, pay the sales tax, and get your registration sticker and license plates (temp or otherwise).
  5. Your vehicle is delivered. You attach license plate(s) and go get a state inspection.
  6. You receive your Texas Title in the mail sometime later.
I hope someone who has gone through this process in Texas in the past week or two will verify/comment.

JAK

JAK,

It is my understanding that you have to obtain a Green Sheet from the inspection station, which I believe is just an affirmation that the VIN# that you are subsequently going to submit to the DMV is accurate. I am not positive that this step is necessary as I am still awaiting on finalizing my insurance coverage before going through the registration process. If the Green Sheet is really a part of the process that would mean that you have to take your car to the inspection station for the VIN# verification prior to going to the DMV. I would like to get everything settled before my car arrives. Hopefully the Green Sheet step is not necessary and that Tesla's Final MVPA is suitable for registration with the DMV.

JAK,

It is my understanding that you have to obtain a Green Sheet from the inspection station, which I believe is just an affirmation that the VIN# that you are subsequently going to submit to the DMV is accurate. I am not positive that this step is necessary as I am still awaiting on finalizing my insurance coverage before going through the registration process. If the Green Sheet is really a part of the process that would mean that you have to take your car to the inspection station for the VIN# verification prior to going to the DMV. I would like to get everything settled before my car arrives. Hopefully the Green Sheet step is not necessary and that Tesla's Final MVPA is suitable for registration with the DMV.

It looks like it is not necessary (see stephenpace's comment). The VIN on the Certificate of Origin seems like it should suffice.

JAK

Last edited:
So...I called the tax office vehicle registration dept. and asked about what I would need to get my plates.
They said,

1. Bill of Sale - proof of purchase
2. Manufacturer Certificate of Origin
3. Proof of insurance - current insurance card (does not have to list the Tesla yet....I told them that the car has not delivered yet and so I haven't started coverage)
4. Payment for the taxes due

I do not recall receiving a Certificate of Origin from Tesla in the final paperwork package. Would that be the same as the MVPA?

So...

I do not recall receiving a Certificate of Origin from Tesla in the final paperwork package. Would that be the same as the MVPA?

It looks like it should be in the final packet Tesla sends to you. (This packet was from before the change, but it says there is an "MCO" and a Title Application.)

If you don't have the MCO, you probably haven't received the final paperwork, IMO.

JAK

Last edited:
So...I called the tax office vehicle registration dept. and asked about what I would need to get my plates.
They said,

1. Bill of Sale - proof of purchase
2. Manufacturer Certificate of Origin
3. Proof of insurance - current insurance card (does not have to list the Tesla yet....I told them that the car has not delivered yet and so I haven't started coverage)
4. Payment for the taxes due

Isn't the Bill of Sale given at delivery? It would seem the Bill of Sale being required to receive plates means I can't get the plates before delivery.