Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas sales tax on new inventory 100D Model S I just ordered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a new inventory 100D Model S last week with delivery expected in 2-3 weeks. For those who have recently purchased in Texas, how are sales taxes paid? Per my lender which is Tech CU, they cannot be rolled into the loan. Per my adviser, they are paid through my Tesla account. Do I pay them with a credit card just like the deposit or do I need to transfer funds via wire, ACH or can I just write a check.

Any other tips for a first time buyer would be appreciated. I have been scouring the forums for a few months as I waited for just the right inventory car to become available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to add the pic with the order details on the inventory car I ordered.
Order details Tesla Model S 100D.JPG

That is an S100D, not a P.

I financed 70% through TechCU, the registration fee (tax) was included in the remaining payment I provided to Tesla.
Thanks for the reply, when you made the final payment was it personal check, ACH, wire or credit card through directly to your account through Tesla's site? I am assuming not via credit card for a payment that large since the merchant fees would take bite out of Tesla's profit but they did take the $2.5K deposit via CC so maybe I can make it that simple and also pick up a few airline miles in the process.

Thanks for the reply, when you made the final payment was it personal check, ACH, wire or credit card through directly to your account through Tesla's site? I am assuming not via credit card for a payment that large since the merchant fees would take bite out of Tesla's profit but they did take the $2.5K deposit via CC so maybe I can make it that simple and also pick up a few airline miles in the process.
I did ACH the morning of pickup. They won’t take credit card.

I did the same thing with the P for the first month! You’ll love the s100d.

@rxlawdude it is most definitely a Texas thing thanks to the Auto Dealer Association lobby's efforts to make it hard for Tesla to sell direct here. Their fear is that if Tesla can do it so will GM, Ford, etc. We cannot finance through Tesla so have to go through an out of state CU in order to get a decent rate. I tried though my bank here and the rate was terrible. Tech CU does not allow financing of sales tax in Texas.

Thanks @brkaus I suspected they would not take a CC for the final payment but you are more responsive than Tesla! :)

We bought a X in February. We paid taxes via check straight to the county tax office (we live in Tarrant County) ...big check....hated paying Texas when they won’t allow direct sales....but whatever. Get it inspected first though.

on your mytelsa page, you will have an option to pay as the delivery date approaches ... deposits in CC, final bill - e-check/ACH. Earlier in the year, you could go pay at the local county tax office, nowadays you pay Tesla and they take care of it all.

You cannot pay in person in Texas, it's all online or by phone to someone in California.

When we purchased our S 100D in March in Houston. We paid the sales tax through Tesla - and they processed all of the paperwork and eventually provided us the Texas license plates.

This was improved considerably from our late 2012 S P85 - which was delivered by UPS to our front door (OK, it wasn't a brown UPS truck, but it was a delivery subcontracted through UPS) - and I had to make several visits to the county tax office to pay the taxes and then pick up the plates.

We took delivery in St Louis but live in Houston. Tesla paid the TX sales tax and registration. They next day shipped the plates and sticker once we had the inspection done in TX at the Service Center. All payment was done via check, a damn large check ;-)

It's been a fairly simple process since March, although many report it taking a long time for the registration to be done and permanent plates to arrive. I paid by ACH through the My Tesla page, and it was very easy. I don't think there's anything you can do about that, though. Just be aware.

Yeah, they'll let you put your deposit on a credit card, but that's as far as that goes. I understand that there are some third party services that you can use to pay via credit card, but the cost wipes out any points/miles benefit you might receive.

For us, it took longer than expected to get our license plates - and had to get a replacement temporary plate, since the original temporary plate had expired.

But this is still much easier than our early 2013 delivery...