Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did look carefully for signs at Buc-ee's in Madisonville and quickly scanned the parking lots on Southbound 45 this past weekend.

I found no signs of any slab or electrical work.

That particular Buc-ee's would be VERY valuable from a marketing standpoint. I think it would drive interest MORE than any store/gallery in a mall. The traffic there is unbelievable and everyone there is thinking about the price of gas. Just imagine pumping $100 into your Tahoe while looking at the Tesla's. When you go over to figure out what is going on, you notice the enormous amount of trunk space and one of the owners point out the frunk. You also learn that the charging is included in the price. I'm pretty sure you would pull out your smartphone and type teslamotors in the browser.

Andy

I did look carefully for signs at Buc-ee's in Madisonville and quickly scanned the parking lots on Southbound 45 this past weekend.

I found no signs of any slab or electrical work.

That particular Buc-ee's would be VERY valuable from a marketing standpoint. I think it would drive interest MORE than any store/gallery in a mall. The traffic there is unbelievable and everyone there is thinking about the price of gas. Just imagine pumping $100 into your Tahoe while looking at the Tesla's. When you go over to figure out what is going on, you notice the enormous amount of trunk space and one of the owners point out the frunk. You also learn that the charging is included in the price. I'm pretty sure you would pull out your smartphone and type teslamotors in the browser.

Andy

It seems obvious that the DFW-AUS-SAT route is a higher priority to TSLA than DFW-HOU.

That is, I guess, a function of market analysis and - unfortunately - does not suit my plans for the next few weeks.

However, if there is not any near-completed plats with superchargers today, and they say it will be ready by end of month, that bodes well for the DFW-HOU route, as it should go up quickly.

It seems obvious that the DFW-AUS-SAT route is a higher priority to TSLA than DFW-HOU.

That is, I guess, a function of market analysis and - unfortunately - does not suit my plans for the next few weeks.

However, if there is not any near-completed plats with superchargers today, and they say it will be ready by end of month, that bodes well for the DFW-HOU route, as it should go up quickly.
Certainly from the press release, DFW-AUS is the only SC committed to be completed by the end of June, but we haven't even found *that* one yet. Assuming they make that schedule, I would expect DFW-HOU to follow directly.

Watching the Normal, IL installation, it seems like an installation takes four-six weeks.

As for the stations between DF/W and Austin, I notice they align really well with the rest stops along I35. Has anyone checked these? I might take a look at the ones near Hillsboro.

Interesting idea. Here's a link to the DOT map of rest areas. (Note that the Hillsboro location is listed as under renovation and currently closed.)

The presumed Temple location could be at the rest area just south of there at exit 281.

rest areas.png

adric22 had an interesting theory on the Supercharger forum. He noticed that the i-35 stations coincide reasonable well with DOT rest areas.

The June Supercharger could be 18 miles south of Temple at the enormous rest area found at exit 281.

Just a thought.

I just got back from the two rest stops south of Hillsboro. They are still closed. I had to park on the access road behind the rest stops and walk through some grass to get to them. I didn't' see anything that looked like a supercharger or even anything that might eventually be one. For example, I didn't see any conduit or wires coming out of the pavement near any of the parking spots or anywhere a car could conceivably be parked. I took some photos. It was right at dusk so it was pretty dark. But I would note it seems to have a fairly large transformer behind the building (see photo #3) for such a small building.
IMG_1331_zps5ba12d5f.jpg

IMG_1332_zps80408cac.jpg

IMG_1333_zpse797fe77.jpg

I just got back from the two rest stops south of Hillsboro. They are still closed. I had to park on the access road behind the rest stops and walk through some grass to get to them. I didn't' see anything that looked like a supercharger or even anything that might eventually be one. For example, I didn't see any conduit or wires coming out of the pavement near any of the parking spots or anywhere a car could conceivably be parked. I took some photos. It was right at dusk so it was pretty dark. But I would note it seems to have a fairly large transformer behind the building (see photo #3) for such a small building.
IMG_1331_zps5ba12d5f.jpg

IMG_1332_zps80408cac.jpg

IMG_1333_zpse797fe77.jpg

Maybe it's inverter and possibly batteries for all of those solar panels.

Hillsboro isn't due for several months yet, so I'd be surprised to see any work. It's the Temple-ish one that's committed by June 30 -- if you believe the dots.

FWIW:

I am taking I-45 (McKinney to League City) with the help of Home-on-the-Range 50amp dinner stop.

I'll do this around June 28.

Will be exiting Buc-Ee's (Madosonville is 142 methinks) and will scan that lot for construction.

Anyone want me to look elsewhere (e.g. Buffalo, etc.) lemme know.

WJ

Hi all, I spoke to somebody at Tesla HQ and they said there is a confirmed yet tentative date of early-mid August for the superchargers to be rolled out and live in the DFW-HOU & DFW-AUS routes. He said it may be sooner but that is the timeframe they have as he put me on hold to look it up. Guess we may have to wait a little bit longer.

Hi all, I spoke to somebody at Tesla HQ and they said there is a confirmed yet tentative date of early-mid August for the superchargers to be rolled out and live in the DFW-HOU & DFW-AUS routes. He said it may be sooner but that is the timeframe they have as he put me on hold to look it up. Guess we may have to wait a little bit longer.
Disappointing, but not surprising since we can't find any evidence of construction. If AUS-DFW isn't started yet, that's a huge shame, since it was one of the few locations expressly called out. I figured they had already started.